The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

Griff 09-09-2020 06:05 AM

What would you bitch about if you didn't leave something?

Gravdigr 09-09-2020 03:38 PM

Heh, oh, I'd find something, I'm a people after all.:lol2:

xoxoxoBruce 09-09-2020 08:52 PM

Well, I spent the $2500 but for another couple hundred I can make it perfect.

Uh, now that I have $3500 in it I have to keep it because I can't get my money out of it.

Something breaks... well the rest of the car is perfect, I can't get my money out, so I guess I gotta get it fixed.

It's a little tired but it works just fine... gets new girlfriend... Paint it!... Upholster it!... New top!... Whitewalls and custom rims!... A gross of air fresheners!

Gravdigr 09-09-2020 09:06 PM

Yeah, I've had a couple that did that to me. Not really planning that with this one, but, I wasn't planning that with the others, either.:D

Still nothing from the car doctor. Going out there tomorrow, that'll be a week. Probably waiting on some part or another.

xoxoxoBruce 09-09-2020 09:10 PM

Having discontinued parts custom made out of unobtanium. :haha:

Gravdigr 09-09-2020 09:16 PM

I know the little rubber bumper on the fuel door is still available for it from GM.

It's $0.64.

Saw that last night at GM Parts Direct.

xoxoxoBruce 09-09-2020 10:39 PM

Sure, things that are used across the various models and in many case brands, will have enough demand for someone to make them. Things that are unique to a model get tougher.

Chevy only made my truck 4 years, 24,000 total, and stopped in 2006. So many of the body and interior parts are extremely hard to find.
Several guys have said they had good luck with Cleveland Power & Performance which used to be Cleveland pick-a-part. Evidently they take cars they are "recycling" apart, and are aware of what's hard to get so save those parts.
They may have your bumper covers.

monster 09-09-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1057773)
Probably waiting on some part or another.

part being ...concerned owner getting more concerned.... you have to catch these things at the crucial moment for best effect...

good luck

footfootfoot 09-15-2020 06:06 PM

Today I replaced the switch on my 25 year old sliding miter saw for the second time. The Bosch website says it's not available (obsolete) as do all the online replacement parts companies. I found it from a switch manufacturer and inadvertently paid 2nd day priority mail postage. Just as well bc I needed it yesterday.

The last time I replaced it was about 5 or 6 years ago and I forgot what I had done vis-a-vis the wiring. I looked at the diagram (a photo, actually) of the correct wiring and second guessed myself. I followed the color of the spade terminal in the photo rather than the direction the wires were coming from. Saw ran then made a low humming/growling noise like a motor trying to start. I ran to unplug it as it emitted some fragrant smoke from the vent.

Not an expert but I'll definitely take "Not Good" for $500, Alex.

Wired it the correct way and the saw ran without any more smoke but still a lingering aroma.

I thought the saw had a brake when I bought it, and when I replaced the switch the first time (with an OEM part) it no longer had a brake. I wondered if I had done something wrong or if it didn't actually ever have a brake. Still no brake. I checked the brushes and there is a lot of meat left on them and they look fine.

Main worry is: did the smoking do some real damage that will caus ethe saw to shit the bed when I need it most?

xoxoxoBruce 09-16-2020 01:20 AM

You may have taken a couple months or years off it's life but it'll probably suffer a lot more abuse from you before that, maybe some from your heirs too. ;)

footfootfoot 09-16-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1058111)
You may have taken a couple months or years off it's life but it'll probably suffer a lot more abuse from you before that, maybe some from your heirs too. ;)

Good to know. I am reassured. Now, I will go abuse things. :D

Diaphone Jim 09-17-2020 11:19 AM

In the middle of hay hauling last week, I discovered that the brake light switch on my 1960 GMC 3/4 ton was sticking.
We managed to free it up with some WD-40, but I don't know for how long, so I looked it up online without much hope of finding one.
Several places have them in stock, with the cheapest one being about $5!

That is not what is bothering me today though.
This is and it is probably not what we need about now:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap200917.html

footfootfoot 09-17-2020 02:13 PM

Wasn't there recently some research paper published that definitively linked some sort of solar activity with earthquakes here on earth?

xoxoxoBruce 09-19-2020 02:24 AM

C'mon Foots, a research paper? That's science and science is for losers.
Real men listen to politicians, they always have your best interest at heart.
Plus they get the best information, just look how many have been insider trading successfully.

glatt 10-19-2020 07:18 AM

Luna fire has me concerned. The wind is blowing it in the general direction of my son.

I'm not worried for his safety. They know about the fire. But if it burns down the backcountry where he is building campsites, he will lose his job and face uncertainty.

Windy.com is a far superior resource than the local news for tracking this.