The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   favourite watering hole (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25603)

grynch 08-02-2011 04:01 AM

favourite watering hole

ok kids n kidneys... once again following on from another thread ( cunning linguists seems to be turning into a bar brawl ... so.... show me your fav. pub or watering hole?

this is (one of ) mine.

Salutation Arms, Looe, Cornwall ( near England )

grynch 08-02-2011 04:06 AM

oops.... looks like I got a little excited talking about pubs and posted twice...

I can't see here how to delete a post tho... can anyone tell me where to go? ( careful now )

Sundae 08-02-2011 04:15 AM

Oh well, while you're in the area, nip over to The Mermaid Inn on St Mary's, The Isles of Scilly.

It's gorgeous. And so close to the sea that it actually smells of it.
Actually I haven't been there in years, so it might not be all that any more. Just noticed on the googlemap pic that there are letters missing from the name on the front, so it might not even be open any more!

Another fave of mine is The Mole and Chicken in Easington, Bucks.
Easy going, relaxed with very good food and the locals don't resent the foodies or vice versa. It's perched on top of a hill and has really great views of the surrounding countryside. Watching the sun go down with a cold pint in your hand is a wonderful experience.

grynch 08-02-2011 04:20 AM

The Mole and Chicken looks nice but the other link just leads to a generic map showing most of Europe.

just by the way.. Mrs. and I have just booked a weekend to Eastbourne.. there is a village fete going on nearby that she wants to visit ( thinking possible retirement place nearby ) .. so'll I'll get to test out a few new pubs.

:)

Sundae 08-02-2011 04:24 AM

I never have had much luck with posting images :(
If you're interested, type in Mermaid Inn, The Bank, St Mary's, Isles of Scilly.
They don't have a website, but at least you'll see the habourside location.

Oh and one of the mods or UT will clean up the other thread, as long as no-one responds to it.
And if they do, I'll make sure it goes down on their permanent record.

grynch 08-02-2011 04:27 AM

I've never been to the Isles of Scilly myself... altho I do have a "scilly" hat from when mrs. took her mum over a few years ago

and of course I watched all episodes of "an island parish" :)

GunMaster357 08-03-2011 10:52 AM

An old watering hole of mine when I'm working in Paris: Guinness Tavern

When I'm home in Brest: The Blind Piper. Sorry, no website for this one.

glatt 08-03-2011 11:02 AM

Don't spend much time in watering holes these days. One of my favorite is this quiet little place that was right around the corner from work. Twenty years ago, I courted the woman who would become my bride by meeting her there after work for drinks. It was perfect. They kept bringing free bowls of pretzels, the beer was fairly cheap, and it was one of the few quiet places around. You could actually talk.

Cafe Mozart. It's got a deli in front with specialty food for all the German expats. Restaurant/bar in back.

Gravdigr 08-03-2011 05:43 PM

Well, it's nice to see Google Maps Street View still doesn't work w/FF 3.6 (I ain't gonna like FF 4, so, I wait). Yay Google Maps.

grynch 08-04-2011 02:17 AM

garvdigr.. I've got FireFox 3.6.3 and it works fine ( obviously as I started this nonsense )

neverminding that.... how bout a fav. pub anyway... tavern.. beer hall ..whatevah....