The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   This Day I'm History (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32245)

classicman 10-14-2016 07:06 PM

This Day I'm History

So after working for a "friend" for a year, the grand experiment ended swiftly today. He came to me and said "I gotta let you go. I can't afford you." Then he wanted to talk about how much I meant to him and what a great job I did for the company etc etc. He kept talking about how hard it was going to be without me and he had to do it and how much it was going to affect HIM and and and and ...
Note that at no point did he mention how it would affect me. I hate being over 50 and again unemployed... again. Fuck!
I'm hurt, embarrassed and pissed.
This really sucks. I gave this guy everything I had including answering the phones 24/7 the entire time except for a week or two. I put in 50-60 hours a week even though I was paid a salary.
Lastly there was no warning. He just let me go without any discussion, warning... nothing. Dick. :mad::(:sniff::mad2:

fargon 10-14-2016 08:34 PM

What an asshole.

glatt 10-14-2016 09:39 PM

Damn. I'm sorry classic. What a tool.

infinite monkey 10-14-2016 10:12 PM

Yep, tool.

Sorry man. I know how hard it is to be in your 50s and looking for a job. I've been looking for jobs that come up in my field...one full time to replace my two part times...for so long now. It's tough out there. They want young and malleable or else my experience at the college from hell that I left has left visible scars or (even trying to go way way back to my experience in QC) I've been out of the field too long. Wreaks havoc on what little self-confidence I had left.

I hope you get back on your feet soon. Do you have any ideas what you might do next?

:hug:

BigV 10-15-2016 01:57 AM

WTF

limey 10-15-2016 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 971237)
So after working for a "friend" for a year, the grand experiment ended swiftly today. He came to me and said "I gotta let you go. I can't afford you." Then he wanted to talk about how much I meant to him and what a great job I did for the company etc etc. He kept talking about how hard it was going to be without me and he had to do it and how much it was going to affect HIM and and and and ...
Note that at no point did he mention how it would affect me. I hate being over 50 and again unemployed... again. Fuck!
I'm hurt, embarrassed and pissed.
This really sucks. I gave this guy everything I had including answering the phones 24/7 the entire time except for a week or two. I put in 50-60 hours a week even though I was paid a salary.
Lastly there was no warning. He just let me go without any discussion, warning... nothing. Dick. :mad::(:sniff::mad2:

What a bastard.

Sent by thought transference

Clodfobble 10-15-2016 06:50 AM

Sorry, man. You have savings or severance or something that will get you through until you find something else?

Griff 10-15-2016 08:10 AM

Damn it, sorry man.

xoxoxoBruce 10-15-2016 08:42 AM

:(

Undertoad 10-15-2016 08:58 AM

Bad times sir. :(

Gravdigr 10-15-2016 12:14 PM

It'll suck, but that suck will be momentary.

You'll come outta this smelling like a rose.

Yes you will , too.

This is an opportunity.

classicman 10-17-2016 08:17 AM

Thanks all. I have enough to manage for a few months. No real plan. Just feeling defeated, sad, angry... stupid - all that grief shit. Gonna take a few days/week and try to get a grip on moving forward.
Part of me thinks this is due to what happened with my son - as irrational as that might be. I had two jobs in 46 years. Since then I've had 5 in 5. I'm beginning to realize/think its me. :( Damn shot to the gut.

Undertoad 10-17-2016 08:44 AM

That kind of self-doubt can be paralyzing - don't fall too deeply into it

The entire world is changing very rapidly and employers can't change quickly enough to keep up with it; that you must not allow to affect your own confidence, because it says nothing about who you are.

Gravdigr 10-17-2016 12:41 PM

Well put, Toad.

lumberjim 10-17-2016 01:52 PM

Take the week, get your head right, then start letting friends know that you need a gig. you've got a lot of contacts. You'll find something quickly. Just don't jump at the first thing unless it's perfect.

Sorry it went that way, btw. That's lame of him