The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

glatt 11-06-2014 06:46 PM

I haven't been tested in about a year, but I'm just across the border into pre-diabetic too.

WTF?

I've considered getting a meter to get a better sense of what's going on, but those results are really discouraging.

orthodoc 11-06-2014 07:10 PM

UT, do you mean that you have just had a diagnosis of Type 2 DM? :(

And, Clod ... you have so many reasons to be tired, but making sure your blood glucose is where it should be is a major issue to address. I haven't checked out the otc blood glucose meters so can't comment, but if you've had conflicting results, I'd suggest a fasting glucose AND a Hemoglobin A1C through a certified outpatient lab (i.e. ordered by your PCP, I imagine).

And if Minifob has results that are concerning, the same routine for him would give you a better view of things. A certified lab will let you have more confidence regarding test results.

If results say: Type 2 DM, there are ways to deal with it, without resorting to endless meds.

Undertoad 11-06-2014 07:31 PM

Yes, I go back next week to get the complete details

Yes my toe numbness some months ago is figured to be diabetic neuropathy

I'm not too sad about it, and I feel prepared. I was kind of heading towards this kind of diet for some time now. And I don't have any other symptoms so there's that.

Clodfobble 11-06-2014 08:31 PM

Well, two hours after eating he was down to 117. Now I'm thinking maybe I did a bad job washing his finger before testing, and he had leftover raisin sheen on it or something. Still gonna test both of us first thing in the morning... Tony, are they thinking meds for you, or are you going to try to regulate it yourself first?

Undertoad 11-06-2014 09:20 PM

Don't know yet, but they didn't say "get in here as soon as possible", they said "try and make the appointment for a Wednesday because the Pediatrist is here on Wednesdays."

In any case, I got this.

limey 11-07-2014 03:54 AM

Mr Limey was diagnosed type 2 diabetic in July. Since then he has lost 16lbs (mostly through eating half the bread he used to and cutting out sweeties and, uh, sports drinks I think). All the carbohydrates in the house are now wholemeal (yay, I love 'em!) and we're both on strict portion control of those. Even I've lost one pound ( :( ). He's on metformin, but after two months of changed diet that's down to once a day, not twice.
You'll get loads of advice from everyone - find out what works/makes sense for you is what I say.
Oh, and the most entertaining thing is trying to find food (whether snack, or "fast food meal") that is low in carbs when you're out and about.

Gravdigr 11-25-2014 04:25 PM

What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell

This morning, when I took the boy to the vet, we were talking while the receptionist was printing my bill/receipt up at the end, she, my vet's a she, took a piece of paper and wrote down her cell number, saying "If you have any questions, or anything, just give me a call anytime."

:eek:

I don't get numbers just given to me. Been there a dozen times, never got a number before. Usually there's some light stalking involved with my getting a number.

It's the "or anything", and "anytime", that's making me apprehensive.

But, it may be too soon to tell.

footfootfoot 12-17-2014 09:00 AM

I may have mentioned that the mm hatched 4 chicken eggs with 4H this summer and now they are pretty much fully grown and it is clear we have two roosters.

Village regs do not allow roosters and require a permit for chickens. These regs are fairly new, maybe 4 years old. In comparison, there are at least a dozen families here that pre-date the revolutionary war, and twice as many that pre-date the civil war. In other words, generally speaking, tradition speaks louder than some fancy new-comer showing up and telling us how to live our lives-words. (By the current metric of residency me being here for 15 years means that I haven't actually even arrived here, much less reside here.) Despite that, I still fall under the unofficial rubric of local tradition as long as one of my neighbors doesn't drop a dime on me.

The roosters have just recently come into maturity and have started greeting the dawn with their song. I figured it wouldn't be a problem in the winter since everyone has their windows shut. The other morning at 5:45 I heard what I thought was my neighbor's dog whining. Turns out it was one of the roosters.

I'm a bit worried about one particular cranky old bastard who would be just the person to piss and moan about them. I'm hoping he hasn't bothered to read the new regs for the village.

xoxoxoBruce 12-17-2014 10:49 AM

Chicken (or cranky old bastard) and Cashews

1. Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sherry, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, and chicken(or cranky old bastard) in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch, broth, oyster sauce, and honey in a small bowl.

2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken(or cranky old bastard) mixture to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from pan. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in pan. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Return chicken(or cranky old bastard) mixture to pan; sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with green onions and cashews.

footfootfoot 12-17-2014 11:54 AM

How do roosters taste?

xoxoxoBruce 12-17-2014 11:58 AM

Ask Sheldon.

nowhereman 12-26-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 916603)
How do roosters taste?

Like chicken ...:D

Griff 12-26-2014 05:00 PM

Ha!

footfootfoot 12-30-2014 10:10 PM

Someone dropped a dime on me and I got a visit from the zoning enforcement officer. PITA

Clodfobble 12-30-2014 10:14 PM

This is your house that you're secretly running a business out of, or what?