The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SITE (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4657)

Catwoman 04-25-2005 08:24 AM

Agh. this is the tenth time I've written a post only to find when I submit it's lost as I've timed out or something. why does this happen? do you expect really fast writers or am I doing something wrong? I've tried pressing the back button but that's about as useful as a glass lampshade.

Undertoad 04-25-2005 08:52 AM

I think you'll have better success if you turn cookies on.

BigV 04-25-2005 01:12 PM

Senor UT:

I use Outlook as my contact manager. It lets me track the regular name rank and serial number stuff of people I communicate with, plus a free form field called Notes. Is there a similar function in the cellar? I'm starting to lose track of stuff about my friends here. How does everyone else do this? Offline in some other program? Swarms of post-its? Just rely on memory?

Thanks in advance.

Undertoad 04-25-2005 01:16 PM

The entire world awaits the ideal Outlook replacement.

lookout123 04-25-2005 03:25 PM

what type of stuff are you trying to save BigV? except for a couple of crashes *knock on wood* everything in the cellar is here semi-permanently.

BigV 04-28-2005 04:19 PM

stuff like this, plus you're in phx...http://www.cellar.org/showpost.php?p=159148&postcount=5

SteveDallas 04-28-2005 04:27 PM

Is the search messed up? I tried to dig up my slide rules post from to Doodads thread, and failed. I know it's there somewhere... I admit I didn't go through all 30+ pages worth....

BigV 04-28-2005 04:46 PM

http://www.cellar.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=663
or http://www.cellar.org/showpost.php?p=12365&postcount=41

Undertoad 04-28-2005 05:32 PM

I do think there is something wrong with the search, and I am rebuilding the indexes... should take about an hour.

SteveDallas 04-29-2005 08:57 AM

You're very kind but there's actually a third one :zzz: with photos (how many can one person have??). This one,

http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php...ide#post101345

to be specific. Thanks for the fix UT.

mrnoodle 04-29-2005 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
The entire world awaits the ideal Outlook replacement.

There's always Lotus Notes. Buggy and hard to use, but at least Gates doesn't get any money from the license.

BigV 05-06-2005 01:44 PM

Senor UT:

I have noticed a difference in the behavior of the cellar. I had developed the habit of creating a post, and finally posting with Alt-s. Then, sometimes I read the post and decided it needed an edit or three, and pressed the Back-a-Page function (mouse button or what ever...), made my edit and then re-saved the post again with the Alt-s. If I do the edit fast enough, I get put in the pokey by the "too many posts/unit time" trap. No problem.

But the new results are that I wind up with TWO posts, and often I only see the bottommost one, and leave it on the board. I don't mind looking like a retard (good thing), and I have changed my posting/editing/reposting regimen.

My question is this: What prompted the change? It seems to be timed close to the defacement. Are they related?

Oh, and by the way, could you please delete this and this, please? See, they mock me. I don't think I've left more double-taps uncleaned up, but these have aged out for my edit privleges.

wolf 05-06-2005 01:49 PM

Goof. If you need to edit a post click the edit button.

BigV 05-26-2005 01:41 PM

UT:

Sir. Why do some links open in a new window, and others take the current window to a new address? I can provide examples, if you wish.

btw, I use FF 1.04 on XP.

Thanks in advance.

staceyv 05-26-2005 02:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
please explain to me what these all mean. (I could only post 2 of them, but there are at least 4...)

Clodfobble 05-26-2005 04:22 PM

The blue envelope, means you've read all the posts in the thread. The yellow envelope with stuff sticking out means there are new posts you haven't read. When the little white arrow is present it means you have posted in that thread, and if you mouse over it, it will display how many posts and last posting time and stuff.

Undertoad 05-26-2005 05:33 PM

Links in messages are set by default to open in a new window. If someone puts their own HTML in, through, I'm not sure what happens.

Happy Monkey 05-26-2005 05:40 PM

I sometimes do my own HTML if I don't want to "Go Advanced" to put in a link.

On that note, would it be difficult to put the "Link" button in the Quick Reply box?

BigV 05-26-2005 06:15 PM

Thank you.

While you're receiving petitions, I would like a new font, something (anything normal looking) that is in strikeout, you know with the horizontal line through all the letters....

Thanks for listening...

Undertoad 05-26-2005 07:00 PM

<strike>Strike is actually an HTML code</strike>

Surround words with &lt;strike&gt; and &lt;/strike&gt; to do that.

Undertoad 05-26-2005 07:03 PM

I'll look for that for the quick reply hm. I don't remember if it's easy to do...

BigV 05-26-2005 07:05 PM

Quote:

<strike>Strike is actually an HTML code</strike>

Surround words with &lt;strike&gt; and &lt;/strike&gt; to do that.

Thank you.

staceyv 05-27-2005 08:22 AM

The blue envelope can't mean that I've read all the posts in a thread, because I've never even been to the sports forums, but the threads there show me blue sealed envelopes.
Also, threads that I remember looking at ALSO show me blue envelopes.

And the yellow envelope with stuff sticking out is being displayed on posts I've never read. (Maybe that symbol just means "recent posts" regardless of whether I've ever read it or not.)

The only one that makes sense to me are the ones with white arrows- those mean I've posted. Besides those, I still don't get it...

Silent 05-27-2005 08:36 AM

Blue envelopes means there have been no new posts in a thread since your last visit.

Everything is relative to your last visit.

wolf 05-27-2005 09:36 AM

I'm not looking at the answer key ... but often the color of the icon relates to the busy-ness of the topic ... lots of replies gets the color change.

lookout123 05-28-2005 12:19 PM

<strike> holy sh*t, it works. i've actually done a cool computer thing. my day is complete.</strike>

busterb 05-28-2005 07:32 PM

UT. How about the PM deal not putting a copy in the sent folder by default? I'm too dumb to uncheck it and can't see the opition till I scroll down. which is too late.

busterb 05-28-2005 07:33 PM

Bitch, bitch and bitch :)

Happy Monkey 05-31-2005 11:33 AM

UT, what's the "GuestMap" link at the bottom of the page?

lookout123 05-31-2005 12:28 PM

that is where some of us, put little faces on our geographical locations, isn't it?

oops, sorry, i posted before i looked. i was wrong, so feel free to ignore another one of L123's posts - if it isn't habitual already.

Undertoad 05-31-2005 12:31 PM

:| Something that used to work before the hacking

wolf 06-11-2005 02:29 AM

A Little Housekeeping Question

Okay, so I posted this very amusing image.

Then I realized that there was a far funnier and more appropriate place to post it.

So I deleted the post containing the original occurance of the image.

And redid the post in the appropriate place.

I wasn't allowed to re-upload the image because of the original, now deleted occurance.

So I went to the User CP/Attachments with the intention of deleting the image out of that list and then being able to re-upload it. I could have sworn that I have done this before. That is how I knew to look for the attachments list.

The image in question was not in the list.

I rehosted the image so that I could post it, so putting it where I wanted it is no longer the issue, but for future reference, is there a better way to go about this?

OnyxCougar 06-22-2005 04:42 PM

ok I'm confused....

Periodically I like to go through my thread subscriptions and unsubscribe to most of them, and on the "new subscribed threads" there is a link to do that under each thread. When I go the "all subscribed threads" folder, there is no way to unsubscribe other than go visit and use the thread tool. I have 285 subscribed threads, man...I don't want to have to do that....

Is there another way?

wolf 06-22-2005 06:17 PM

Tell it to no longer send you email updates on your subscribed threads. I expect that's what's making you crazy? You can change that setting in your control panel.

OnyxCougar 06-23-2005 07:28 AM

I like the emails, but I'm no longer interested in getting them about all 285 threads. I can go in to each thread and unsubscribe, but again, that seems like a lot of freaking work. There's no way to like, look at the list of subscribed threads and then check a box to unsubscribe and click unsubscribe or something?

wolf 06-24-2005 06:41 PM

http://www.cellar.org/subscription.p...ewsubscription

OnyxCougar 06-25-2005 03:52 PM

Yes, I can view them on that page, I've been there...I'm saying that there is no way to unsubscribe from that page. There are little check boxes on the right, but no box to click on to "unsubscribe from the selected list" or anything.

That's what I'm saying.

wolf 06-27-2005 10:28 AM

1. Click the check box.

2. See the little drop down menu thingy at the bottom there? when you click it "Delete Subscription" is one of your options. There are also a bunch of subscription management choices.

BigV 06-20-2006 05:39 PM

What's up with "Thread rating" ***** ???!!

Undertoad 06-20-2006 06:22 PM

Thread ratings are supposed to be off entirely but I left them on in Nothingland by mistake. They are off now.

Kitsune 06-20-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Thread ratings are supposed to be off entirely but I left them on in Nothingland by mistake. They are off now.

Just curious -- any reason why you have them turned off? Not a fan?

Undertoad 06-20-2006 08:01 PM

Thread and post ratings are not as useful as they would seem at first. They change the nature of a forum and make it more cliqueish, more slanted towards who's voting. There are even user ratings, "reputation" they call it; as if the place is some sort of popularity game to be solved.

Here the cliques are determined by everyone's words and actions and not by numeric scores. It's much more devious that way.

xoxoxoBruce 06-20-2006 08:16 PM

Cliques? We have cliques? :unsure:

wolf 06-20-2006 09:02 PM

We have since AG hit us.

I post on another board that does use the "karma" system ... I got my first red (i.e., bad) karma today for telling some moron who said she didn't want to ever have anything to do with the raising of her own children "Please don't breed."

I don't spend a lot of time there, but they have some special-interest topic areas that I follow.

BigV 06-21-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Elspode 06-21-2006 02:40 PM

Huh? You should have gotten a cookie or something. That's good advice to people who don't want to raise children. Don't have 'em.

Makes perfect sense.

skysidhe 06-22-2006 09:35 AM

Quote:

:| Something that used to work before the hacking

hacking? Why is that not a suprise. :headshake

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Cliques? We have cliques?

I didn't notice any either. :unsure: that's a good thing !

* I love this place* :biggrinlo

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
We have since AG hit us.

I still don't see it.

Quote:

I post on another board that does use the "karma" system ... I got my first red (i.e., bad) karma today for telling some moron who said she didn't want to ever have anything to do with the raising of her own children "Please don't breed."

I don't spend a lot of time there, but they have some special-interest topic areas that I follow.

Two things to keep in mind when going to places like that.
#1 either dont go there at all ( meaning don't get any on ya) or #2 if you do, give' em hell:D

Elspode 07-03-2006 04:51 PM

Clicking on Links

Did something change here recently? Used to be that when I would click on a link someone posted, another window would open, no problem. Today, every link I've clicked on (on two different computers, mind you) acts like a popup, and my popup blocker does what it does...blocks them.

Undertoad 07-03-2006 05:00 PM

I haven't made any changes recently that should affect that sort of thing.

skysidhe 07-15-2006 01:49 AM

I the FAQ dosn't tell me how to make a poll. ?

Undertoad 07-15-2006 08:03 AM

It's an option below the text box when you are starting a new thread.

skysidhe 07-24-2006 11:20 AM

Thank you.

When I try to make a contraction using an apostrophe such a phrase finder comes up on the bottom of the screen instead.

I know it must be a glitch? Phrases are shown with quotaion marks not apostrophies anyway.

wolf 07-27-2006 01:37 AM

I get stuff like that happening every now and again too. I have no idea why ... or I go to hit some key that usually does nothing successfully, and now does nothing unsuccessfully (like flip back pages as though I was clicking on the browser 'back' button). It's not consistant, but closing the browser and restarting it usually stops it. For a while.

skysidhe 07-27-2006 01:44 AM

Yeah, it stopped next time I logged in. I thought maybe I was just being an idiot. ...which is quite possible...considering.

footfootfoot 07-30-2006 09:41 PM

Do we have new fonts?

Undertoad 07-30-2006 09:48 PM

Old friend of mine said he had this dialogue with his mother:

Thom: We have a lot of fonts at work.
Mom: Oh, Thomas, don't call them that, they're people too.

There have been no new fonts or styles put into use for quite some time.

wolf 07-30-2006 10:01 PM

And a damn good thing it is, too.

First they start on Helvetica, then Palatino Linotype, then next thing you know they're on to the display fonts, Gill Extra Bold, Babyteeth, Cooper Black ... absolute chaos!

Please, don't make me post links to the board I go to with the colors and the animated signatures and the avatars ...

Ibby 07-31-2006 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It may or may not be the Cellar's fault, but about a third of the time, when I open a page on the Cellar, I get the following error... why?

Spexxvet 07-31-2006 02:46 PM

Cause they're on to you. You must now eat your computer.

BigV 07-31-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieL
Quote:

Nice modest proposal. I'm for it.
Soylent Green is people!!

No, waitaminute...

"Illegals To Feed Homeless In Parks"

is not to be confused with

"Illegals Fed To Homeless In Parks"

or

"Illegals Feed On Homeless In Parks"

Reminds me of my ex-father-in-law, who liked to joke that "I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is the Martians have landed. The good news is they eat n*ggers and piss gasoline."

Now there's a "social policy with multiple objectives" for ya.

Why is it that when left clicking on the poster's name, there is no "Add to Ignore List" to compliment the superfluous "Add to Buddy List"? :mad: