The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SITE (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4657)

Gravdigr 01-22-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 706923)
Why do the smilies move about? Every time I go look for a particular one, its never in the same place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 706947)
Why DO the smilies move about? I don't know!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 706951)
It's a mystery.

I assumed it was due to the popularity of the various smilies?

Lamplighter 01-24-2011 07:45 PM

May I ask what is the legitimate use of "Anonymous" user name ?
Also, is it just for Dwellars, or do Guests have access to it too ?

I can see using "Anonymous" to hide very personal information,
but otherwise it seems quite cowardly to use it for political posts.

Maybe there are other times it is appropriate ?
Today, I noticed the No.of Members was 4 more than the No. of Dwellars being On-Line.
Is that the effect of logging on as "Anonymous", or just Profile Settings ?

monster 01-24-2011 08:23 PM

If people are logged in as anonymous, it will show up as "anonymous" being on line, unless anon has their account set to hide that. It's just a username like lamplighter or monster. But people can choose to hide when they are online, so they will be named in the online member listing or have a green dot by their posts, even if they are online.

guidelines? You want more rules? If you think someone's being cowardly, call them out or ignore their posts.

monster 01-24-2011 09:16 PM

OK, I just saw a post by anon in the wild west thread. Srsly? a 10 min video? How inflammatory can it be? It only takes a few seconds to call people morons. or morAns. I was bored by the time it started. i imagine they used anon because they were ashamed that was the best they could add to the conversation. Just ignore it and move on.

Shawnee123 01-25-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 707710)
OK, I just saw a post by anon in the wild west thread. Srsly? a 10 min video? How inflammatory can it be? It only takes a few seconds to call people morons. or morAns. I was bored by the time it started. i imagine they used anon because they were ashamed that was the best they could add to the conversation. Just ignore it and move on.

:lol:

I know...I think anon was embarrassed that the video was so boring. What was the point of the video...robots talking about hand shaking?

Yeah, anyone who knows how can use the moranonymous log-in. Sometimes people just don't feel like themselves. :p:

sexobon 01-26-2011 03:09 AM

While I haven't had occasion to use the anonymous account, I can envision a few other uses for it:

A Dwellar who hasn't been active in the community for awhile may want to test the water before taking the plunge again without drawing attention to themself.

A Dwellar may no longer have regular access to the internet and doesn't want others to figure that out through the lack of timely responses to posts directed at their registered username.

A Dwellar may be concerned that another individual will take a post personally, due to that person's circumstances, when it's intended for general information.

A Dwellar doesn't want their spouse, significant other, BFF ... etc. to know that they dissent in their opinion about something.

A Dwellar may feel that their post will be criticized based upon who's doing the posting rather than the content of the post, especially if that Dwellar has an antagonist in the forums.

A Dwellar may be posting while under the influence.

A former Dwellar who was banned; or, who requested their account be closed can post from a new IP address if the password hasn't since been changed; or, they have been given the current password respectively.

Lamplighter 01-26-2011 08:39 AM

@ Sexabon, Thank you

Shawnee123 03-01-2011 02:17 PM

I took pictures with my phone of the river behind my place. I have NEVER seen it so high, and I've lived there for 5 years.

Anyway, how do I get them from my phone (Droid 2) to post on, say, the Cellar?

TIA!

edit: Let me put it this way, can I not email them to myself or something for later posting? I plugged my phone into the computer port but couldn't figure out how to get to the pictures????

I'm dumb at this stuff.

glatt 03-01-2011 02:20 PM

Email them to yourself. And upload them as attachments to the post.

Edit: Oh, you edited while I was answering. Yeah, you should be able to click some key when you are looking at the photo in your phone, and you will get the option to email the photo somewhere. I don't have an android, so I don't know the key you hit.

Shawnee123 03-01-2011 02:21 PM

OK, I'm going to sound really dumb. To email to myself from my phone: do I start at the picture or do I start at the email?

Shawnee123 03-01-2011 02:23 PM

I think I figured it out. Stay tuned.

Thanks glatt.

glatt 03-01-2011 02:28 PM

You can probably also go to "My computer" on your PC when you have it connected to your computer by the cable, and it ought to show up as a removable drive. Again, I don't know the Android at all, but you should be able to poke around in the folders of the removable drive and find the photos. I don't know what your data plan is, but you might be using up a lot of your data allowance for the month by e-mailing a bunch of pictures to yourself. ymmv and all that.

Shawnee123 03-01-2011 02:36 PM

Yeah, I need to read up on it. I haven't had the phone very long.

Thanks for the help. Pics posted, though they suck. It was dusk, though.

Shawnee123 03-11-2011 11:31 AM

When does one typically get the email for a new moniker?

Undertoad 03-11-2011 12:05 PM

Rephrase the question plz