The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

infinite monkey 04-01-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 924968)
FOCUS?!!
'you mean, BOFUS?

:notworthy:

Lamplighter 04-01-2015 02:03 PM

:D

I'm glad to see someone remembers that joke besides me.

glatt 04-17-2015 08:20 AM

My neighbor, Mary. Really sweet little old lady. We've been helping her out for years, shoveling her driveway and taking her garbage cans to to curb, helping to bring her groceries in if we happen to see her get back from the store. She must be 90 or so.

Her daughter in CA calls her every evening at 5PM, and yesterday, Mary didn't answer. So the daughter called my wife. Wife went over and knocked on the back door and peeked in the window and saw Mary on the floor in the living room, not moving.

So she went back into our house and called the daughter back. At this point, I got home from work. So the daughter gave us permission to enter the house (we have a key) and told us that her mom has a DNR, so if she's not breathing to just leave her alone.

I knocked on the front door, and used the key to undo the deadbolt, and pushed the door open, and Mary screamed "Who's there?" Scared the shit out of me. I was expecting to be dealing with a body.

But Mary was on the floor, and she couldn't get herself up. And when my wife and I tried to gently help her up into a nearby chair, she felt a sharp pain in her back, so we stopped. Called the daughter on the cell phone. Gave the phone to Mary, and Mary proceeded to make it sound like everything was all just fine and there was no cause for concern at all. Had the daughter completely convinced even though this entire conversation took place with Mary on the floor in a loose fetal position. Then gave the phone back to us and we told the daughter the mom was still on the floor. So we all decided it was time for 911. Mary was strongly opposed to that. She wanted us to leave her on the floor.

The paramedics were great. Nice and calming. They obviously do this all the time and know just what to say. They also had trouble moving her without causing pain, but they rolled her gently onto the stretcher placed on the floor right next to her.

She was mostly completely coherent, but had a few details that were just plain crazy. Like she said she hadn't fallen, but got down on the floor intentionally to check to see if our kids were home from school. And she thought she was on the bedroom floor, while we were in the living room. And she wanted her breakfast, even though it was 6PM.

My wife drove to the ER to meet the ambulance and be with her until some other relatives who live 2 hours away could make it to the hospital.

So it's too soon to tell, but I bet she doesn't come back. Her house isn't wheelchair accessible and she lives alone, so I don't think she can take care of herself any more. I think we're losing a good neighbor. And I'm apprehensive that the new neighbor won't be as good.

The one thing that I'm really happy about, is that we can go visit her in the hospital and future assisted living facility at our own pace, and then just go home and not have to worry about her. She has her own family, and they are the ones who get to worry. We can just do what feels right for us instead of having any sort of obligation. That's so refreshing after 3-4 years of my FIL being in this same situation and we were on the hook there.

BigV 04-17-2015 09:14 AM

I wish her the best.

As far as good neighbors go, I sincerely doubt you'll get any new ones better than the ones Mary has.

Griff 04-17-2015 02:08 PM

Yeah right on V. The glatt's are solid peeps.

Monday Lil' Griff's college went through a bullshit bomb and shooter scare. She was locked down in the dorm room of next years roomies brothers girlfriend where she landed when they went into their emergency preparedness procedure while she was walking to class. They were locked down all day. They ate up all the popcorn and spent the day on netflix and texting us. They held up well. I was good until I started talking to people then my blood pressure went for a little trip up the scale. All is well at this point. The State Police doggies did a very thorough job and the college administration continues to impress.

glatt 04-17-2015 03:35 PM

Glad it was a false alarm. That sucks though.

Gravdigr 04-17-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 926126)
Scared the shit out of me.

:lol2:

A simultaneous "Oh shit!/Oh, thank God!" moment.

The former neighbors across the street used to call me/Popdigr occasionally to help the Mr. up when he'd fallen. He crawled out from under his truck after changing his oil one day, and his balance just never came back. We were always worried about him being hurt and not being aware of it til we'd moved him. Never happened, though. He was a tough old bastard, and I'm sure the biggest injury was to his pride.

Lamplighter 05-28-2015 03:35 PM

Its not the quite the same thing as happened with the samples I received (here), but still...

Mistaken Anthrax Shipments Still Being Located
ABC News - May 28, 2015, 3:28 PM ET - LUIS MARTINEZ
Quote:

Eighteen laboratories in nine states have begun turning over samples of anthrax
to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to determine if they contained
live anthrax mistakenly provided to them by the U.S. military, the Pentagon said today.

In a precautionary move, 22 employees at a military laboratory in South Korea that
also received a shipment of the spores have been ordered to take the antibiotic Cipro because
they may have been possibly exposed to live spores during lab training conducted late last week, officials said.

The Pentagon has said that there is no threat to the general public from the inadvertent
shipping of live anthrax and that none of the personnel in South Korea have
demonstrated any signs or symptoms of exposure to anthrax.
<snip>

it 06-03-2015 05:26 AM

Starting a new job today, and my new boss seems kind of cool, hope the other co workers are too.

Questionable "sign": I had a slight "90s ad mentos moment" on the way back from the interview - my shoe got it's sole ripped off nearly completely, so I just ripped off the rest, ripped off the other one and threw them at a nearby garbage can, continuing my walk as if nothing happened on shoes that are about one thin layer of leather away from the ground. While I feel good about the resourcefulness, there is a slight semi-superstitious instinct in the back of my head saying this must mean something in Jewish symbolism.... It's like the reverse mazal tov of breaking a glass in a wedding.

Griff 06-03-2015 06:22 AM

:D

limey 06-04-2015 11:46 AM

My biggest client, representing 60% of my income, has just dispensed with my services. Because they were unsatisfactory, but they've not actually told me that until now.
What a good job that although it was core income, it wasn't my core activity, which I am good at :D
Time to do some pro-active marketing ... and pull in our expenditure horns a leetle bit.

xoxoxoBruce 06-04-2015 11:53 AM

So they found out you are actually work for M. Oh well, those types rarely stay in power long, so after the next purge you'll be good to go. In the mean time enjoy Summer, with bunnies and lambs and a brass band wafting on a fresh sea breeze. ;)

Clodfobble 06-04-2015 01:41 PM

Sorry, limey. Hope you find something new soon!

monster 06-06-2015 09:25 PM

Limey, you know that just means they can't afford you any more, right?

limey 06-07-2015 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 930439)
Limey, you know that just means they can't afford you any more, right?

Not in this case, Monster. Someone else will be doing what I did, for the same money that I'd have been paid.

Sent by thought transference