The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SITE (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4657)

infinite monkey 10-29-2012 11:31 AM

-1 popularity contest
-1 canned feedback
-1 we don't need no stinkin' avatars do we need another distraction that other forums employ?

Griff 10-29-2012 11:54 AM

I'm with im on this. There are individuals here who post a fair amount of dreck and occasional irreplaceable brilliant insight. Would they keep posting if they got slapped down 9 of 10 posts? I'm willing to wade through the flotsam.

xoxoxoBruce 10-29-2012 04:32 PM

Agree. :thumb:

jimhelm 10-29-2012 05:53 PM

I bet you wish you could have just hit a little + sign huh?

xoxoxoBruce 10-29-2012 06:13 PM

No, that's like whistling at a chick hitchhiking, while you blow by at 65.

infinite monkey 10-29-2012 07:05 PM

:lol:

Yes,it is like that.

Griff 10-29-2012 07:08 PM

Not that Bruce ever passed by a chick hitch hiking.

sexobon 12-02-2012 04:03 PM

Should we dispense with annual moderators elections and just hold special elections if a moderator resigns, is impeached, banned; or, kicks the bucket?

I realize that some may like having elections to gauge their relative popularity even though they're not at all likely to change the status quo; but, the competition seems to detract from the spirit of the holiday season.

glatt 12-02-2012 04:34 PM

I think the elections are good. People should have a choice.

The job has been a lot easier since UT changed the sign up procedure.

sexobon 12-02-2012 05:11 PM

Yeahbut, UT's getting up in years and sometimes forgets to get the ball rolling in a timely fashion. After elections, he forgets to update moderators' names in the Cellar introduction. I think he just gets a tad overwhelmed what with the holiday season and all.

Perhaps we should at least move the elections then. How about April 1st?

What say the wolf lady?

BigV 12-02-2012 06:35 PM

April first is fitting.

who you calling a lady!?

SamIam 12-02-2012 07:07 PM

I like April 1, too.

Getting back to the "ratings" thing:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
I'm with im on this. There are individuals here who post a fair amount of dreck and occasional irreplaceable brilliant insight. Would they keep posting if they got slapped down 9 of 10 posts? I'm willing to wade through the flotsam.

One of the other forums I visit has a "Thanks" feature (for your incredibly useful, insightful, whatever) post. The names of the people thanking the poster are shown below the post. Naturally, there's always a gang of the usual suspects who thank each other, but if someone posts something really good, I'll notice all the "Thanks" beneath and decide to read it to see what all the fuss is about. It's a very large forum, and the "Thanks" help seperate the wheat from the chaff.

While the Cellar is nowhere near as large as this other place, I can still see where a thanks/plus system might be helpful here and even kind of fun. I don't get discouraged from posting on that other forum if my every word is not greeted with universal acclaim, and no one else does either. It's no different really from starting a thread and seeing if you get any bites. Sometimes you do - sometimes you don't - no biggie.

Rep points are kind of fun, too. The system I'm familiar with lets you give other posters rep points for a really great post, but the rep points are added to the username field rather than the post itself. If you want to make a comment along with your rep point, it gets sent to whoever made the post as a pm, but the rest of the board doesn't see the personal comment or even who it was that awarded the points.

I think either or both of the above might be interesting to try. We could have rep points and/or "Thanks" for a given trial period and then everyone could vote if we want to keep them or not.

infinite monkey 12-02-2012 07:11 PM

I am still with griff who was with im. ;)

Rating of any kind is extraneous and distracting. What's all the fuss about? Usually much ado about nuttin' (see merc wtf.)

SamIam 12-02-2012 07:42 PM

Yeah, but you and griff could be thanking each other and giving one another rep points for these very posts and no one could thank me, never mind giving me rep points and that would prove YOU are the ones who truely understand the Cellar gestalt if only we had a rep point system. :D

sexobon 12-02-2012 08:10 PM

Sam, can users there turn these features on and off themselves as we can do with some of our post displays?

[User Control Panel>Settings & Options>Edit Options>Thread Display Options>Visible Post Elements>Signatures, Avatars, Images.]