The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SITE (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4657)

Undertoad 12-02-2011 12:33 PM

That is a little control-freaky, but I don't believe it's been asked.

Which browser are you using, and which version?

sexobon 12-02-2011 12:51 PM

It's just something I came across when I made the cited post today and it struck me as curious ... I'm using IE 8.0.6001.18702 with Windows XP-SP3.

Undertoad 12-02-2011 01:22 PM

I am thinking this works by design.

BigV 12-05-2011 08:28 AM

Welcome fellow "control freak"/observer. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 777195)
On the Board FAQ page, under each of the 3 main information categories, the first sub-topic link goes to the Search FAQ function at the top of each page instead of the related information paragraph. This seems to throw all the sub-topic links off from their related information paragraphs; so, the user has to scroll down to them instead of having them just appear in the window. In order for anyone to link to a particular sub-topic paragraph and have the appropriate information appear without having to scroll down to it, one has to use the URL of the sub-topic link below it (excepting the last sub-topic) as I did here.

Is this unavoidable with vBulletin? If it can changed, is it a simple matter? Would a sub-topic link to the search function added to the top of each sub-topics list realign things properly? If a redundant link at the top of each category isn't aesthetically appealing, could it be made nearly invisible by coloring it as users sometimes do with text in posts. Just curious, if this has been asked before I've forgotten the reply.

I'm not experiencing this behavior. For me, the link "here" takes me to the word association thread, following that link I get to the participating paragraphs, not the editing paragraphs.

Also, for your first link, "Board FAQ", each of the links takes me to the expected corresponding paragraph.

This should be Announcements

This should be Registration

This should be My Public Profile (a top link, not leading to Search FAQ, but to the expected paragraph)

Firefox 8.0, XP SP3

sexobon 12-05-2011 12:27 PM

When I click on the Edit icon reply in my Word Association post, I still get the Editing paragraphs coming up centered in my open window (using the Participating paragraphs URL) even though I clear my cache every time I log off the internet. Your Announcements link shows that entire short topic in the bottom half of my open window along with the tail end of the preceding topic in the top half. Your Registration link shows none of that topic in my open window, just the end of the preceding long topic; so, I have to scroll down to Registration. Your My Public Profile link shows just the header and Search box in my open window and again I have to scroll down to the topic paragraph. Nothing's changed for me. Weird Science huh?

Thanks for running the Firefox 8 comparison. It would also be interesting to see whether or not other IE 8 users get my results; or, if it's just a gremlin in my particular setup.

BigV 12-05-2011 03:05 PM

You're welcome.

I launched IE8 (same computer) and ran the same tests. I got very erratic results, including lots of stuff like you described. Why don't you download Firefox and see what you get? Personally I like Firefox a LOT more than I like Internet Explorer, this is a textbook case study of why I prefer it.

Gravdigr 12-16-2011 01:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
app. 1:45am:

Attachment 35979

W T F?.......:3_eyes:

monster 12-16-2011 10:36 PM

looks like spam/virus to me.

Gravdigr 12-19-2011 03:48 AM

Disregard the "->webhosting" thing, that's just an ad.

I was curious why the Cellah might be down at such an odd time.

That's a screen grab from DownForEveryoneOrJustMe.com. They can tell you if the reason you cannot connect to a site is on the site's end or your end. Is it just you, or is it everybody?

Handy occasionally.

Undertoad 12-19-2011 09:03 AM

The Cellar becomes.... rather unresponsive for about 10 minutes every night while it backs itself up.

Gravdigr 12-20-2011 12:34 AM

I usually encounter that at 4am my time. Almost every night. And even then, it doesn't show up as being "down". It just sorta lags for a few minutes.

sexobon 12-20-2011 12:57 AM

Maybe UT can get the Cellar to make that sound that trucks make when they're backing up. :D

glatt 12-20-2011 07:14 AM

beep beep beep

regular.joe 12-20-2011 08:13 AM

Hmm...mine says "crackle...crunch...bumb....@#$%!!!!"

Clodfobble 12-30-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

"If EasyFLow doesn't work: tough. If you lose millions because EasyFlow messes you up, it's you that's out millions, not us. If you don't like this disclaimer: tough. We reserve the right to do the absolute minimum provided by law, up to and including nothing. This is basically the same disclaimer that comes with all software packages, but ours is in plain English and theirs is in legalese. We didn't really want to include any disclaimer at all, but our lawyers insisted."
- EasyFlow Manual, Haventree Software
Is this a new cookie file, or have I actually come across one that I've never seen in almost 8 years?