The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Random Thoughts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29481)

monster 10-02-2013 10:04 PM

Random Thoughts

I'm tired of the post whore thread, I'm not whorin'

so...

Shouldn't Cellar have the same first syllable as Cellist? Should Cellist be a synonym for Dwellar?

DanaC 10-03-2013 05:30 AM

So....are we calling it the chell-er now?

I don't know Monster. Seems awful radical to me.

jimhelm 10-03-2013 06:19 AM

If we're gonna pronounce the c in the Italian way, I say we go Spanish with the two L's.

Chay-yer Dwayers

infinite monkey 10-03-2013 08:15 AM

Then would we have to say 'chellery' and would we be able to eat chellery in the chellar?

I mean, you can't eat chellery quietly, and it might disturb those who are concentrating on when to pop up and say something relevant.

I can't eat chellery right now anyway. My multi-thousand dollar caps broke AGAIN, and my dentist died, and I look like a cross between Flossie Mae and Jaws from James Bond. Because I'm all lucky like that.

DanaC 10-03-2013 08:23 AM

Oh ffs, seriously? My God that's some shitty timing.

glatt 10-03-2013 08:30 AM

Sorry about your teeth. The dental industry kind of sucks, but I guess it's better than no dental industry.

infinite monkey 10-03-2013 08:35 AM

My first caps lasted 27 years!

Can I drag Dr S out of retirement? (Clarify: Dr S did my first caps when I turned 18 and was deemed grown-headed enough to have them fitted and my head wouldn't grow out of them. The dentist who did these replacements a couple-few (?) years ago died, suddenly. Can't really make him fix 'em.)

I guess I"ll go to Doctor Strip Mall and get it done cheap. Sorry parents, I know you wanted me to have a beautiful smile but GAWD has other plans. We really really really should have known this.

Gravdigr 10-03-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 878283)
Then would we have to say 'chellery' and would we be able to eat chellery in the chellar?

Not necechellery...

Gravdigr 10-03-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 878283)
...My multi-thousand dollar caps broke AGAIN, and my dentist died...

Damn, that's an omen, surely.

Gravdigr 10-03-2013 02:05 PM

Sorry for calling you Shirley.

sexobon 10-03-2013 09:42 PM

Among Romance languages, the word "cellar" is gender neutral in English, feminine as "cave" in French, and masculine as "sótano" in Spanish. Does the Cellar have a global gender identity issue and should we feel oppressed?

monster 10-04-2013 10:03 AM

If person A buys prescription drugs from person B and no prescription is involved, neither are pharmacists.... who is breaking the law? A, B or both? In US and/or UK and/or other countries you kave knowledge of. (when a minor buys and drinks alcohol, the culpability differs between UK and US)

jimhelm 10-04-2013 10:43 AM

it depends on whether the drugs are controlled substances. if you're talking pain pills, then BOTH.

sexobon 10-04-2013 11:16 AM

In the US, one can't legally dispense a prescription medication (for money or for free) unless authorized to do so. Buying a prescription medication from an unauthorized dispenser would be participating in a crime; therefore, a crime even if only for that reason (like the driver of a getaway car used in a bank robbery). Dispensing "controlled" medications without authorization just ups the crime to a felony.

Gravdigr 10-04-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 878574)
it depends on whether the drugs are controlled substances. if you're talking pain pills, then BOTH.

She specified 'prescription drugs', prescription = controlled substance.

What I want to know is this: Is 'Person A' really a hunter, and is 'Person B' really a squirrel on a tree?

footfootfoot 10-04-2013 08:00 PM

Does the hunter have a license and are squirrels in season or seasoning?

orthodoc 10-04-2013 08:43 PM

Not all prescriptions are controlled substances, although Person A isn't likely to find much of a market for Amoxil or Keflex.

If the hunter has a license, it isn't a crime, but it sounds like Person A doesn't have a license. Big trouble. The squirrel, on the other hand, is in trouble if caught with the acorn. Consuming the acorn isn't illegal, but possessing it is.

lumberjim 10-04-2013 10:34 PM

If you're caught buying viagara, the cops can make it pretty hard for you. Used to be a short sentence, but it's getting longer. The law is quite firm about this.

sexobon 10-04-2013 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 878724)
If you're caught buying viagara, the cops can make it pretty hard for you. Used to be a short sentence, but it's getting longer. The law is quite firm about this.

OMG, the same thing can happen if you try to buy vergara!

Attachment 45585

monster 10-04-2013 11:46 PM

I think Football is what's holding America back from going metric Games take forever in yards, it'd be almost 10% longer in meters. And the 45.72 Meter Line doesn't have the same ring to it.

sexobon 10-05-2013 12:18 AM

Baseball is a silly game. A pitcher throws a ball towards a batter. Does the pitcher want the batter to hit the ball? No! So why does he throw it in the first place?

Clodfobble 10-05-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc
Not all prescriptions are controlled substances, although Person A isn't likely to find much of a market for Amoxil or Keflex.

There is also the civil crime of insurance fraud, if you sell a prescription that your insurance bought for you.

I may or may not have been on the buying end of a similar type of transaction before. As the substance being hypothetically purchased could also be purchased without a prescription--just at exorbitant rates--I may have decided that I had no legal culpability as long as I didn't ask too many questions, and kept my nose out of any ethical quarrels between the seller and their insurance company.

sexobon 10-06-2013 02:19 AM

Not to mention that you hypothetically probably didn't pay sales tax. :eyebrow:

Clodfobble 10-06-2013 11:55 AM

It was hypothetically classified as a food item, no tax levied. Also, it was hypothetically purchased across state lines, so again no sales tax.

sexobon 10-06-2013 12:19 PM

The Ranger assigned to your case has confirmed this; but, some day you'll slip up and they'll be there.

Gravdigr 10-06-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 878704)
Not all prescriptions are controlled substances...

Why are they prescribed then, instead of being available otc?

Why do I have to pay a middle man a hundred damn dollars to write me a prescription for 'not a controlled substance'.

If you drive down the road with ANY prescription pills not in their proper container, [and get stopped by the popo] you will go to jail.

If I can't walk into Wally World and buy it without a prescription, that is a controlled substance. In circumstance, if not on an official list.

A prescription drug may not be a narcotic, or a recreational drug, but I still think that it would be a controlled substance.

Then again, I'm not a doctor. Or a cop.

Griff 10-06-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 878976)

Why do I have to pay a middle man a hundred damn dollars to write me a prescription for 'not a controlled substance'.

Because government and industry collude to take advantage of you.

Lamplighter 10-06-2013 03:13 PM

... or because you haven't yet signed up for Obamacare. :rolleyes:

sexobon 10-06-2013 10:05 PM

While viewing the Main index, alongside Current Events it read:

shot dead in DC
by Aliantha

and I thought ... I didn't know she was visiting.

orthodoc 10-07-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 878976)

A prescription drug may not be a narcotic, or a recreational drug, but I still think that it would be a controlled substance.

I was referring to the DEA classification of controlled drugs, Schedules 1 through 5. Other prescription drugs are restricted in that they need a prescription, but aren't tracked in the same way.

Gravdigr 10-07-2013 04:36 PM

Ah.

Clodfobble 10-07-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr
If you drive down the road with ANY prescription pills not in their proper container, [and get stopped by the popo] you will go to jail.

Is it that you just go to jail long enough for them to figure out what the unlabeled pills really are, or are you saying it is illegal to drive with an otherwise perfectly legal prescription outside of its orange bottle?

xoxoxoBruce 10-07-2013 05:52 PM

I was crossing into Canada when the man asked if we had drugs. My wife whips out an unlabeled pill bottle with a few of each of her prescriptions in it.

That held us up for a while. :haha:

Nirvana 10-08-2013 09:44 AM

Dalai Lama
I usually say the aim of life is to be happy. Our existence is based on hope. Our life is rooted in the opportunity to be happy, not necessarily wealthy, but happy within our own minds. If we only indulge in sensory pleasure, we’ll be little different from animals. In fact, we have this marvelous brain and intelligence; we must learn to use it.

xoxoxoBruce 10-08-2013 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And fluffy cows, surely the Dalai Lama wouldn't forget fluffy cows. http://cellar.org/2012/nono.gif

I mean look at it, just look at it, you know your life will be incomplete without one. :D

Nirvana 10-08-2013 10:40 AM

I am friends with Matt Lautner and we breed fluffy cows, actually that's a bull called Texas Tornado ;)

xoxoxoBruce 10-08-2013 08:44 PM

I ran across that picture the other day, and went to Google for fluffy cows. The images are great but couldn't find much info. I have visions of getting ready for showmanship class and finding a matted fluffy cow. :haha:

orthodoc 10-08-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 879192)
I was crossing into Canada when the man asked if we had drugs. My wife whips out an unlabeled pill bottle with a few of each of her prescriptions in it.

That held us up for a while. :haha:

:facepalm:

Canadian customs officers are FAR more hostile than American ones.

monster 10-08-2013 09:25 PM

We used to get asked if we had any copies on The Sun on the CanAm border.

Gravdigr 10-09-2013 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 879180)
Is it that you just go to jail long enough for them to figure out what the unlabeled pills really are, or are you saying it is illegal to drive with an otherwise perfectly legal prescription outside of its orange bottle?

Here, in KY, if you have a legal scrip, even for penicillin, and the pills are not in the prescription bottle that is marked with all the prescriptiony info on the label, and the police find out (doesn't matter if you're driving, riding a bicycle, or walking), you'll be charged with "prescription drug not in proper container".

Scenario: You're driving and run a stop sign, Barney Fife pulls you over. Barney goes through all the bullshit, and while you're pulling your ID/wallet outta your purse a Xanax tablet (for which you have a legal prescription) falls out and bounces across the hood. You're going to enjoy the hospitality of the county jail. Not just until they find out if you have a legal scrip, but, until you make bail. And go to court, and be sentenced, and do time for having a prescription drug not in it's proper container.

Now, if you're digging out your ID, and a prescription bottle of Xanax falls out and bounces across the hood, as long as it's a legit scrip, you're golden. (Unless, in the case of Xanax, or some such, you admit to driving under it's influence.)

If you have a loose pill, and a legit scrip, bottle and all,, sometimes the cop will let you slide.

If the bottle is at home, you're in trouble.

ETA: One of these won't help, either.

Attachment 45637

(Well, maybe with a verrrrry understanding popo. But, I doubt it.)

Gravdigr 10-09-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 879321)
I am friends with Matt Lautner and we breed fluffy cows, actually that's a bull called Texas Tornado ;)

Is that what Tracy Lawrence is singing about?

:p:

Gravdigr 10-09-2013 10:38 AM

Clod, your Texan mileage may vary.:blush:

xoxoxoBruce 10-09-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 879422)
:facepalm:

Canadian customs officers are FAR more hostile than American ones.

That's an interesting observation. I've found the Canadians to be pretty hospitable and polite, whereas the Americans to be 50% rude pricks. I wonder if it's a mindset, on both sides, to be nice to guests but keep the natives in line?

orthodoc 10-09-2013 11:40 AM

Could be, although I'm sort of a native of both countries. Canadians despise those of us who take dual citizenship, though, so that brings crud down on our heads with anyone who knows. The woman/guy in the booth is never impressed when I hand over a US passport that says I was born in Canada.

BigV 10-13-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 879543)
Could be, although I'm sort of a native of both countries. Canadians despise those of us who take dual citizenship, though, so that brings crud down on our heads with anyone who knows. The woman/guy in the booth is never impressed when I hand over a US passport that says I was born in Canada.

like Ted Cruz

jimhelm 10-13-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 879321)

Matt Lautner can suck it.

I know. It just reminded me of Matt Lauer.

infinite monkey 10-21-2013 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Lola Bunny 01-08-2014 12:52 AM

I fell asleep earlier. Was only 5 minutes but felt like a long time. But I was awakened. Now I can't sleep. Lying here with blanket kicked aside and feeling cold. I still don't want put the blanket back nor am I closing my eyes to fall asleep. I'm getting cold....colder. Maybe I shouldn't have pushed the thermostat down. I can feel the cold air hovering over me.

Molasar 01-08-2014 02:50 AM

Lola Bunny that has the makings of a 'polar vortex' special edition update to Wordsworth's 'I wandered lonely as a cloud'. :)

xoxoxoBruce 01-08-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 888610)
I still don't want put the blanket back nor am I closing my eyes to fall asleep. I'm getting cold....colder.

Sounds like a Disney movie... where is that damn prince anyway? ;)

Lola Bunny 01-08-2014 02:29 PM

How is it like a Disney movie? :-P And the prince hasn't made up his mind yet. Can't totally blame him. I haven't made up my mind either.

xoxoxoBruce 01-08-2014 05:13 PM

Lying seemingly helpless in bed, getting progressively more uncomfortable, but unable to act for some unknown reason. Waiting for something, waiting for the plot to reveal itself... or the prince?

footfootfoot 01-09-2014 10:37 AM

Or the little match girl.

Lola Bunny 01-09-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 888739)
Or the little match girl.

That's rather sad. I hope I don't end up like that.

Lola Bunny 01-09-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 888708)
Lying seemingly helpless in bed, getting progressively more uncomfortable, but unable to act for some unknown reason. Waiting for something, waiting for the plot to reveal itself... or the prince?

Perhaps more like waiting for the plot to reveal itself. I am but a character in a story that I am not writing for myself. Momentarily, I was lying there feeling confused, helpless, and lost.

orthodoc 01-09-2014 06:51 PM

Maybe you should seize the pen and write your own story.

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2014 08:16 PM

BigV 01-09-2014 09:10 PM

Good advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 888781)
snip--
Momentarily, I was lying there feeling confused, helpless, and lost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by orthodoc (Post 888785)
Maybe you should seize the pen and write your own story.

Whenever Twil's lost, helpless and confused in bed, I always advise her to seize the pen. The story's never the same, but it almost *always* comes to a happy ending.

Recommended, five stars.

Lola Bunny 01-10-2014 10:43 AM

If only there's a pen lying nearby....

footfootfoot 01-10-2014 10:51 AM

Carpe Stilus