The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

Sundae 04-09-2014 01:55 AM

Applied for five jobs last night. Funny how much harder it is to do online... At one point I just howled and walked away.
Went back though, temper tantrums don't equal a living wage.

Applied for one job within my present company. There is a quicker and easier way to do it, but the vacancy closed last night and I thought it better to apply as a 'civilian' than miss the opportunity entirely. I said as such in the Additional Information section; glad I made an initial approach to new new Department Manager, however casual.

Mum has offered to have Diz put in a cattery if I can't get him into foster care.
He'd hate it like poison, but he'd be alive and I'd be back as soon as I could...

fargon 04-09-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 896353)

Mum has offered to have Diz put in a cattery if I can't get him into foster care.
He'd hate it like poison, but he'd be alive and I'd be back as soon as I could...

EEK!!! Oh no Cherry, If I could I would keep Diz Kitty for you.

Sundae 04-09-2014 09:57 AM

Got an interview next Tuesday (current employers)!
Wow, they move fast...

DanaC 04-09-2014 10:41 AM

Interesting developments all round!

What's the job?

Sundae 04-09-2014 12:46 PM

Same department as I'm in now, although that covers a multitude of roles.

limey 04-09-2014 03:55 PM

Oh my! I'll be keeping my everythings crossed for you!

Sent by thought transference

DanaC 04-09-2014 04:01 PM

Good luck hon:)

Griff 04-09-2014 05:49 PM

Good luck!

glatt 04-10-2014 08:52 AM

That's wonderful! It would be fantastic if it worked out.

Sundae 04-10-2014 11:18 AM

OMG - just had the hardest online assessment EVAH.
(Rival supermarket)

Multi-tasking test, apparently.
A five figure sum to mark true or false, okay all numbers under ten, but an example might be
6 - 9 + 7 + 3 - 5 = 3
Thank goodness for my recent sojourn in Key Stage One, learning number bonds alongside the children and marking Awesome Addition and the rest twice a week. I genuinely have trouble with numbers that I have fought hard to find ways around.

At the same time checking a six letter set of random letters for repetition; correct if any one letter is repeated. I found it helped to say them out loud.

At the same time as catching a descending ball in a bucket by moving the mouse left and right.

Oh yeah and each section times out.

What's that you say?
No, I'm not applying to be CEO of the company.
The vacancy under which my assessment was sent was that of Catering Assistant.
(Actually bottom of my list, because when it comes to cooking I'm nowhere near as good at multi-tasking as my ball in bucket skills may suggest).
Still it all goes on my file for the other vacancies I've applied for at that company.

And these days we all know a job is a job is a job.
If it keeps the Dizcat and I together and I can make an honest living I'll jump through any hoops I have to.

Carruthers 04-10-2014 01:05 PM

There is a special place in hell reserved for the illegitimates who devise these tests. No doubt they describe themselves as 'consultants' of some sort or another.
They are all cut from the same cloth as the pestilential individuals who gave us 'Human Resources' when we coped perfectly well with 'Personnel'.
There is little doubt that they all use, what a world weary friend calls, bolloxspeak. (Spelling varies).
If there's one small consolation in becoming ever so slightly older, it is that you can spot a fraud, spiv, crook, conman or all purpose charlatan from several light years away. A pox on all their houses.
I wouldn't put it past any of them to try to sell you a bridge in the course of your test.

Very best of luck in all your endeavours, Sundae.

PS I found the above outburst strangely cathartic.:D

monster 06-27-2014 08:19 PM

Just ordered 100 junky personalized sunglasses for swim team online from a company I really can't find many reviews on (did talk to real person before decided to go ahead). $200. What if they're a bigger pile of shite than one expects for $2/pair? $2/pair is great, but $200 is a lot to throw away. They could be awesome, or it could be a total rip off and they people who agreed to go in on it with me if we decide not to use team funds for it could welch on the deal (it went on my credit card........ but they could be the most awesome fun thing about the season that the kids will remember forever. imagine th team picture...........they sunglasses are very similar to the ones that last year's coach had that they all kept stealing and wearing....

(hey.... if it's cool, we could get cellar sunglasses......)

monster 06-27-2014 08:20 PM

.....with the monkey on one lens and the tripewriter on the other and arms with th web address......

sexobon 06-28-2014 04:31 PM

... we'll wear our sunglasses at night, maybe go on a mission from god, and people will ask Who's that behind that monkey's ass?

DanaC 06-29-2014 05:32 AM

I signed up to be a mystery shopper. Tomorrow I have my first assignment. I have to go into the store and go to three different departments, looking at three different things. I downloaded and printed off the brief and questionnaire - fuck me there's a lot of stuff to notice and remember! Like how many customers are in the department, how many staff, what are they doing, how long til they approach, what did they say etc. As well as physical descriptions of the staff member I speak to etc. And hold it all in my head til I can get somewhere private to make notes.

I am not the world's most observant person *gulp*. Gotta really try hard to be consciously aware of stuff!