The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not, as it's too soon to tell (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23955)

Clodfobble 01-06-2015 03:53 PM

Oh sure sure, I got that, but still he's talking about a genuine sense of competition, which doesn't make sense if you're just processing what's handed to you.

But now I've had more time to think about it, and I bet it's all about the undercoating and the extended warranties, right? Salesmen don't push that, the finance guys do.

lumberjim 01-06-2015 06:26 PM

ZACKLY.

I don't try very hard to sell things that people probably don't need. I'll scare you into buying GAP if you finance more than 100% of the car almost every time, and I believe in service contracts most of the time on cars..... But I have a hard time pushing key insurance.

He has no such compunctions. To him, it's about money. the end. It's ok that he's better at that one facet of the job. He's also the most likely to die by friendly fire....except for maybe one other guy that everyone hates because he's INSANE.

classicman 01-10-2015 11:33 AM

Good luck Jim!

Sorry bout your finger, glatt.

monster 01-15-2015 10:11 PM

I got a job. full time. and learned today it starts on Wednesday. it's all come little suddenly. I've been a stay-at-home-mom for nearly 18 years -since I got my PhD.

It's not a PhD job, it's an Admin-ish job in a supermarket, but it's good $ for such a thing. it's a new store, a chain from another state, this is the first in MI. It isn't open yet. I saw a series of ads online (Craigslist) looking for general workers for the various departments and applied without my usual procrastination and with complete honesty about my background and needs using their generic form in case they had something to suit me. And apparently they did. I only wanted part-time though, but this position is full time. I don't even know about hours and vacation and shit. They employed me with no resume, no references, no drug test, no background check..... so I kinda felt that they see my worth so that has to be a good omen, right?

No idea how it's all going to pan out re school runs etc, but with one going to uni next year I needed to get a job. This just feels a bit sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut-ish. Gonna have to get a third car with the first few paychecks :( ...or some snowshoes ;)

lumberjim 01-15-2015 10:20 PM

Hey cool

Clodfobble 01-15-2015 10:32 PM

Awesome! I hope it turns out to be a really invigorating change.

monster 01-15-2015 10:35 PM

thanks guys :)

footfootfoot 01-15-2015 10:39 PM

Yay!

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2015 12:19 AM

Cool, like clod said , hoping this winds up being good for wallet and soul. :thumb:

Griff 01-16-2015 05:51 AM

Cool. Good luck.

fargon 01-16-2015 06:16 AM

Kewl good for you monster.

glatt 01-16-2015 07:39 AM

Wow! That's a big change. Congratulations. Very exciting.

infinite monkey 01-16-2015 08:44 AM

That is awesome! You're going to rock it!

xoxoxoBruce 01-16-2015 09:07 AM

On second thought, having monster for a boss... week after week the staff shaves seconds off their personal best job performance... with the slowest sent to the meat department. Fair but deadly comes to mind. :haha:

BigV 01-16-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 919395)
On second thought, having monster for a boss... week after week the staff shaves seconds off their personal best job performance... with the slowest sent to the meat department. Fair but deadly comes to mind. :haha:

so funny.

Monster, that is really great news! And I am sure they *didn't* see all of what they're getting. I think they probably said "Huh, no red flags here, let's hire this one for the office staff, and keep on moving down the list." Any generic application you filled out is solidly in the under-promise/over-deliver zone. You know. They'll see.

Congratulations!!!!