The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-09-2004, 12:30 PM   #76
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh my yes, you would LOOOVE the book barn.

They also have a rare book section ... the kinds of books people faint over being told what they are worth on Antiques Roadshow.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #77
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I've been banned from Atlantic Book Warehouse on Rt 309 North due to the fact that I always find a cartful of books I simply *cannot* live without! Generally at a cost of around $200-$400 per visit. There and the Woodworkers Warehouse. Dagney has all but given up trying to pry me out of either store and has settled for simply keeping me out in the first place.

Brian
Old 05-09-2004, 02:50 PM   #78
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar

Edit: She has her camera with her, so I took some pictures. She's going to get them off the camera and send them to me, I'll crop and post.

Well, she never came through, so I brought my own cam from home and here are the good ones.

OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:55 PM   #79
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The paper flowers are awesome! Thanks for showing them off.

However, I must say that if I worked with you, I would definitely have to kill you, given the overall gorge-rise-inducing cuteness of your whole tableau.

I mean that in the nicest way possible.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:24 PM   #80
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Why thank you, Wolf! I'm not nearly as happy with this one as last month. I had little bunnies and eggs and chicks and baskets n stuff. Before that I had finding nemo all over my cube (starz was having a big promotion so I created an underwater vista).

I'm thinking about what to put up for summer solstice...
any ideas?
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #81
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah, avoiding the actual physical presence of books for sale would be important. Although, really, what with abebooks.com and all the other online places, I can much more efficienlty melt plastic without leaving my desk.

But we'll see how the Amazon thing goes. Unlike Ebay, they don't charge a fee to the seller unless the item is actually sold.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #82
Tornado
It's a Twistah! A Twistah!

Shyte, it's good to see I'm not alone where books are concerned. I have an entire bookcase full of them. And more in the closet, and even more on the floor. My favourite books to buy are biographies of my favourite poets & artists, and picture books of art. I'm quite proud of my collection, I have a lot of antique books about my beloved British poets. But I also know how damn difficult it is to bypass a good sale or a used bookshop.

Have you tried to pawn the books you don't want at used bookstores? You don't get a winfall for them but on a good day you can easily cop $100 or more. Some stores will even give you a credit toward more books.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:53 PM   #83
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Sell the books? *uquivers in distress* noooo....precious they arrre....myyy Preccious
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #84
farfromhome
Management Consultant

I'm envious.I was a voracious reader back in "the day".Not cool.We had a pretty progressive elementary school back in...around 1970?Newly constructed,it was built with no walls.Everything was moduler.In fifth grade I was skipping class to go read.Pretty stupid of me.With no walls I was only a few cubicles away from my old-school type teacher.I was pretty shocked when suddenly I was being lifted straight into the air one day.And as much as this is a "not cool" thread I believe that reading MAKES you cool.At least thats the message I'm trying to pass on to my 11&13 year old kids.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #85
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

OK, now I'm starting to fantasize about running a used book business on a more formal basis. This could be trouble...
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #86
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Especially when you start slapping customers and screaming "Get your filthy hands off my children!"
Old 05-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #87
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Just set the price of the books at what you personally value them at.

"yes, that dog-eared copy of The Hobbit is $150, you got a problem with that???"
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:42 PM   #88
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I dont know if anyone here has come across a little comedy programme from the UK called Black Books. .....the bookshopowner off that would fit right into the cellar. Cynical harddrinking, hardbitten lover of books who despises his customers.......yah...rock and roll
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:26 AM   #89
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

A good book about people who love books is 'The Club Dumas'. The movie made from it, 'The Ninth Gate' is also very well done.

It has one character that lives all alone in an old european castle or villa. There are no furniture, he sold it all. All he has is a collection of old books that he keeps lined up on the floor in one room. Every so often he goes through the terrible agony of having to pick one to sell to pay for upkeep and living expenses.

Last edited by Slartibartfast; 05-11-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #90
LSMFT
Confounded Conjuror

I kill "cool" on a daily basis by refusing to drive a car, collecting baseball cards, quitting every job after 9 months, and "skipping" when I walk my dog.