The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-14-2006, 12:04 AM   #76
equazcion
Thinks "pie" is a funny word.

This guy is trying to think of a way to answer truthfully without incriminating Christianity, so if anyone knows of a way to do that please feel free to bail him out.
equazcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:06 AM   #77
rkzenrage

I am not a Christian and could care less what you think of it.
I am not going to try to speak for all Christians or priests... that would be ridiculously presumptuous.
I am saying there is no specific Dogma for it.
In practice, sure many want others to be happy with it like they are, as do other religions. Why do Jews build Synagogues that are much larger than their existing congregations? Same thing... it is simple, they want others to be happy, you are implying something sinister when it JUST is not there.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:18 AM   #78
equazcion

They build bigger synagogues because they're hoping to attract more existing Jews to move into the area and make the community grow. It has nothing to do with conversion. I didn't ask you to speak for all Christians, only priests, for whom there is set doctrine. If you just don't know what that doctrine is, then say so, and let's wait and see if someone else knows.

Last edited by equazcion; 12-14-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #79
equazcion

"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." (Leviticus 18:22)
"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (Leviticus 20:13)
Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 AM   #80
rkzenrage

Abomination is not sin. You are supposed to stone people to death for eating shrimp or wearing a mixed thread shirt too, by Levitican law. Has nothing to do with sin or Christianity.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 AM   #81
equazcion

It's detestable and they must be put to death. Sounds like sin to me. Christianity follows the bible, in which Leviticus is contained. You're really reaching.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:34 AM   #82
equazcion

And yes, mixed thread shirts and shrimp are a sin according to the old testament, but Jesus got rid of some of those "old" laws so Christians didn't need to abide by them. Homosexuality wasn't one of the ones he got rid of.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:35 AM   #83
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by equazcion
Jews don't, at least not by conversion. Now how bout the other two questions? This will be the last time I ask. If you don't answer I'll just take that as you being terrified of what the answers would connote regarding our argument.

...that they feel they're doing something God wants, and when they do it they feel the person has been saved?
I have no idea what they feel... it is not dogma.
Jews in the Torah did their share of converting, lots of it actually, whole cities... and their conversions were FUN, circumcision with a rock, wheeeee!
Leviticus is the Torah... talk to your Jewish friends. Not Christian law.
Was there something about the statement "Abomination is not sin" that was confusing?
Homosexuality is never mentioned in the Bible as a sin or even an abomination.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #84
equazcion

Torah = Old Testament = Christian law, along with the New Testament. What exactly do you think the Bible is? Old plus New Testaments. Jews did conversion in the bible but there are very clear rules that say it's not allowed now, except under certain strict conditions.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #85
rkzenrage

LOL... suuuurrre it is, NOT.
Where did you hear that gem? Please tell me, ohpleaseohpleaseohplease!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 AM   #86
equazcion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
LOL... suuuurrre it is, NOT.
Where did you hear that gem? Please tell me, ohpleaseohpleaseohplease!
I'm not sure what you're asking, so I can't attempt to answer your sarcastic immaturity. You'll have to be clearer.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #87
rkzenrage

Specifically, where did you see that Levitican law applies to current day, or even Jesus' day, Christianity?
If you have, actually, read the Bible, they did not follow it then, not even Jesus or the hard line Jews. It was hygiene law for those in the desert.

Nope, I honestly don't remember being told to teach anyone to stone anyone else if they come within 100' of a chick on her period in seminary prep in college, LOL!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 AM   #88
equazcion

"If you have, actually, read the Bible, they did not follow it then, not even Jesus or the hard line Jews. It was hygiene law for those in the desert."

You can't be serious. I'm Jewish, and I've read the bible, and it's a rule for all Jews to not eat any shellfish, not have sex with your wife during her period (or a week after it's over), not to wear clothes with mixed threads, and everything else it says there. The shellfish thing as part of Kashruth, or Kosher. Shellfish isn't kosher. Religious Jews don't eat it. Mixed threads are called Shatnes, and religious Jews don't wear it; there are even experts trained to study fabric under a microscope to check for these things. It had nothing to do with hygiene in the desert, as that, is, utter, nonsense. Not that Jews are what we're arguing about; I just thought I'd point out that you don't know what you're talking about.

Furthermore: http://www.religionfacts.com/homosex...ristianity.htm
"The Bible is the Christian sacred text, regarded as the ultimate authority by all denominations. It consists of the Old Testament (roughly equivalent to the Jewish Tanakh) and the New Testament. While the New Testament is the specifically Christian part of the Bible, both parts are regarded as equally authoritative."

That was just after a short google search, first result I got. I could cite more if you like.

Last edited by equazcion; 12-14-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 AM   #89
rkzenrage

So, reformed Jews are not "religious"?
Jews who play football (touching the skin of a pig) are sinning?

Again, Abomination is not sin. It is very simple.

You go ahead and think what you would like... have fun.
Did you come in here just to troll in this thread? Because we have had this conversation before.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #90
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Last edited by Shawnee123; 09-25-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote