The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #721
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Aaron Donnell, an allergist and pediatrician at Children's Memorial Hospital and Illinois Masonic Hospital, said that if parents have questions about attention-deficit disorder, he tells them that skin- or blood-testing won't help, but they can try removing gluten, sugar, dyes or preservatives from the child's diet. "At least half get some improvement by adjusting their diet," he said.
From this article in the Chicago Tribune. Sounds like a significant statistic to me.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #722
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Most doctors familiar with the subject believe ADHD, as well as some forms of social anxiety, to be at the mildest end of the autism spectrum. It's the same types of brain damage, just less of it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #723
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Clod, it is shit like this that pisses me right the fuck off.

If we aren't TOLD what is in a product, how can we avoid it??

I am SO pissed off right now!!

How can it be certified organic if they are using artificial GMO sweeteners in the FOOD?

*growls*

ETA:

Quote:
In 1998, Monsanto applied for FDA approval for a monster molecule, “based on the aspartame formula” with one critical addition: 3-dimethylbutyl
This says that 3-dimethylbutyl is

Quote:
Suspected:
Neurotoxicant HAZMAP
Respiratory Toxicant RTECS
Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant RTECS
NIOSH

I fucking hate people.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 01-04-2011 at 03:17 PM.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #724
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Sucks, but remember, USDA organic is meaningless and has been since the gov got involved. It was a way for big agri biz to get a piece of the 2 or 3% of the market share they felt they were losing to genuinely organic products.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #725
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I do my best to stay away from anything sweetened artificially and also organic labels - I dont trust them at all.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #726
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I agree - organic is for suckers.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #727
Griff
still says videotape

We had a parent meeting after class yesterday to follow up on an out of control kid (too many environmental issues to list). Anyway the child's doc tells mom to reduce sugar... which apparently means load her up with aspartame... go team! So now even if Mom had a higher functional literacy the government want that shit in her food.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #728
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

No added sugars or sugar substitutes. No artificial flavorings or colorings. No preservatives. No GMO's. No chemical additives whatsoever.

I follow those rules and believe that most of my food is reasonably healthy, as are my children. Sometimes, the only way to find products that follow these rules is by checking the organic market. I work two jobs, I'm not adverse to a little processed food, I just want it without all the crap in it. Ie: I buy Chicken Nuggets for a treat for my kids. At $7 a box, they are definately just for emergencies/treats. But I don't insist on only eating organic foods...I know the labels and the FDA lie.

Jackasses...
Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #729
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I found it interesting that they originally submitted their request during a democrat administration but didn't get it approved until there was a republican in the white house. Not that democrats aren't corruptible too, but republicans (and especially the ones now) always seem to let corporations do whatever the fuck they want, food (or any other safety for the public) be damned. Pretty soon 'snake oil' is going to get FDA approval too...just wait and see.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #730
glatt

We have started buying the "organic" milk in the grocery store. It was something that I was a little hesitant to do because it's more expensive, and I wasn't sure there was any difference.

Then we did a side by side blind taste test. It tastes noticeable better than regular milk. It's remarkable, really. The 1% organic milk tastes as creamy as the 2% regular milk. Maybe even a little creamier than that.

I don't know what the "organic" label means for milk. I don't approve of antibiotic use in livestock, and certainly not growth hormones for increased milk production. If the "organic" label means those things aren't happening, then I'd be happy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #731
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

The organic label may not mean those things Glatt. There are some farms that have stricter standards than USDA organic who are not certified organic.

Stonyfield Farm and Butterworks Farm are two good dairies. Organic Valley is a giant behemoth wearing the organic disguise. (According to a pretty easy-going organic farmer I know)
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #732
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

When my kid eats organic strawberries, he poops poop. When he eats non-organic strawberries, he has very loose stools with giant, quite recognizable chunks of undigested strawberries. The organic label on a processed product can mean something, or it can mean nothing. But when it comes to fresh produce, the definitions are clearer and more meaningful.

It's not just pesticides on the outside, either. Buy a regular banana, and an organic banana, and place them side by side on your counter. The regular banana will spoil in half the time. The chemical fertilizers they use to make them ripen faster are still inside the fruit speeding up the process, even after it's off the tree.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #733
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

The bananas also taste differently.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #734
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

So then, fruit labeled as organic in the grocery store produce section can be considered legit?

If that is so, I will try some.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #735
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

It's hard to identify true organic foods - I would guess that larger chains would be more likely to carry certfied organic foods. In a farmer's market situation, it can be tricky, because...just like the FDA, people lie.

Here are some questions to help you identify the real organic farmers from the scammers - How to find a true Organic farmer<---this is a word dc.

Tags
autism, food intolerance