The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #151
Griff
still says videotape

It will take just long enough for Cuomo to move on to Presidential politics and not be tied to a decision either way.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #152
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, maybe so...

But the original decision in NY was only to publish the fracking
chemicals AFTER a well was completed and sealed !

This was essentially based on industry's lobby, and really did not take
into account the professional environmental and public health issues.
So, taking another look doesn't seem too radical an idea, especially for New York.

I have no idea what Cuomo has in mind for his future, but I think
professional health review input will turn out to be worth while...
so long as they do eventually come to agreement about what the rules will be
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #153
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Seem there might be a problem with credibility.
Quote:
The original report by UT Austin’s Energy Institute, ‘Fact-Based Regulation for Environmental Protection in the Shale Gas Development,’ was released early this year, and claimed that there was no link between fracking and water contamination. But this summer, the Public Accountability Initiative, a watchdog group, reported that the head of the study, UT professor Chip Groat, had been sitting on the board of a drilling company the entire time. His compensation totaled over $1.5 million over the last five years. That prompted the University to announce an independent review of the study a month later, which was released today.
The industry tie-in doesn't look good, but it doesn't mean the report is bad. However further down,
Quote:
Aside from that conflict of interest, the review finds many other errors and missteps in both the study and University policies:
•Because of “inadequacy” in conflict of interest policies at UT at the time, “conflict of interest and disclosure policies were largely ignored.”
•The report itself was presented as having scientific findings, but much of it was in fact “based on literature surveys, incident reports and conjecture.” The review goes so far as to say that “the term ‘fact-based’ would not apply to such an analysis” and it lacked a “rigorous, independent review” of its findings.
•The summary of the study, which was widely distributed and trumpeted by a UT press release, failed to include many of the caveats within the actual report. Some of the conclusions were “tentative,” the review says, and the press release and presentation of the report at a scientific conference in February was “inappropriately selective” and “seemed to suggest that public concerns were without scientific basis and largely resulted from media bias.”
•The study was also not ready for distribution, as Public Accountability Initiative noted in July. The drafts in the study “were not subjected to serious peer review and therefore were not ready to be considered for public release as fact-based work.”
More here.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #154
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I am shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that gambling is going on in this establishment.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #155
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Oh and don't you love the way board members receive "compensation". Cause if it were "wages" or even "salary", they'd have to work for it.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #156
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Fracking is headed over here.
Govt just gave the go-ahead to resume it (BBC link).

Just heard a woman literally in tears over the radio about it. Fruit-loop.
Doesn't mean I'm pro-fracking, just means I don't get people who come on air and weep for Mother Earth and talk about the indiginous people of the world rising up to stop this madness.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #157
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

indiginous people are too indiginous to organize to stop anything. They will come together for a nice drum circle or a feast; but that's the extent of their organizational skillz.

The Germans on the other hand....

they're fracking here in northern Ohio. Making mini-millionaires overnight-----and everyone knows overnight millionaires are the best kind.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #158
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Doesn't mean I'm pro-fracking, just means I don't get people who come on air and weep for Mother Earth and talk about the indiginous people of the world rising up to stop this madness.
My father so loved adults who are still children. Therefore cigarettes were smoked to increase health. Listerene is so often used to do nothing. So many have their computers at increased surge risk due to a power strip protector. In every case, adults who are still children entertain their emotions rather than learn facts.

His biggest complaint was the FTC who was trying to make them tell the truth. That simply took the fun out of it.

Most amusing are the most emotional will adamently deny they can be so easily brainwashed. They just know because they were told what to think. It was indeed fun to play with those people's heads. Because victims routinely deny they are victims.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #159
busterb
NSABFD

Sometime times I wonder about folks on here. Are they able to function in everyday life?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #160
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
Sometime times I wonder about folks on here. Are they able to function in everyday life?
Nailed it, busterb!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #161
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Been watching the PA Farm Show on TV this week. One of the things they show is Information (propaganda) displays by various government agencies and trade groups. The representative/spokesman/explainer for the Marcellus Gas group, while explaining to the crowd how fracking works, looked me right in the camera and said the only thing they put down the well is water and sand.

Now how am I to trust these people after they try to blow that smoke up my ass?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #162
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Really?!

There wasn't some fast talking fine print guy with all the disclaimer talk or anything asterisk on the screen?

What if there's some example where that's true, just not for most/normal wells, some kind of weasel word I had my fingers crossed "out"?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #163
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Really, I sat here with my mouth open. No "proprietary fluids", no other euphemisms, just water and sand.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #164
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Grind it up fine enough, I reckon pretty much any mineral could be called sand.

Or he's just a producer of deliberate inaccuracies with his lower garments in a state of conflagration.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #165
Griff
still says videotape

Amazing. Did anyone call him on it?

Now that fracking is catching on in Europe, I expect to see a slowdown in activity here as the export market is not going to develop. We may actually become energy independent despite the best efforts of the industry.