The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #16
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Adak, Antoine Lavoisier would be so proud of you.
Lavoisier was brilliant, but I'm not seeing the connection between a French chemist of the 18th century, and a beautiful hoodoo today, in Taiwan.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Quote:
...The boulder i's no longer as appealing, but nothing except our aesthetic enjoyment of it, has been destroyed. Nature is just fine with it.
Adak, Antoine Lavoisier would be so proud of you.
You accurately re-stated his Law of Conservation of Mass.

(I know --- it's not funny when you have to explain it. )
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Eventually, "nature" cares about as little about the wildlife killed by DDT in a stream as it does about how long a hoodoo stands. Our desire to maintain ecosystems is to some extent aesthetic as well. There's the additional butterfly effect issue of whether a particular disruption to an ecosystem will eventually impact our survival, but I would think that the National Park system was primarily set up to preserve aesthetics, and the ecological aspect (which is more important, but less politically viable) piggybacked on that.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Adak
Lecturer

Oh he's in trouble with the park rangers, also. They were incensed over it, and planned to charge him. It was unusual because pushing over boulders isn't really a popular park activity by the guests, and making a video of it for youTube, with you plainly enjoying it. Well, the stupidity rises sharply here, doesn't it?
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Maybe its the anti-royalist in me but I'm very disappointed that this thread failed to go in the proper direction.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
SPUCK
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Maybe its the anti-royalist in me but I'm very disappointed that this thread failed to go in the proper direction.
That's because it was pushed off its pedestal.

I must confess I pushed a rock over once. I was climbing straight up a cliff in a box canyon above a small lake that spanned the canyon wall to wall. The walls were about 40 feet apart and comprised of square 3ft by 3ft by 3ft cubes. Damnedest things.

I finally made it to the top (about 50ft) and noticed the last cube at the top was "rickety". Well somehow I got it topple over the edge. It free fell the 50ft into about a 14ft deep pond. My gawd!! what a spectacular splash it made. That period of dead silence ended by a KABOOOMsh and a 60 ft geyser. It was spectacular, but afterwards I did have some of that."if everyone did that there would be no canyon left" feeling.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #22
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
I must confess I pushed a rock over once.
I tried to push a rock over once.

It was a big boulder, I guess about 4' or more, at the north end of the Bixby Bridge in Big Sur. It had a sign that said "Do Not Lean on Rock." So, we called it the do not lean on rock rock.

Tell a group of high high schoolers not to lean on a rock and what do they do? They lean on the rock. And discuss why we aren't supposed to be leaning on it.

When it didn't budge we climbed on top and discussed ways of getting it to tumble. Then we discussed what would happen if it began to roll while we were on it.

Then we ran back and forth across Bixby Bridge. Naturally, one of us was more stupid/reckless than the rest and chose to run down the middle of the bridge rather than near the edge where we could step up on the pedestrian walkway to get out of the way.

After he nearly got run over we figured our minutes were numbered, so we gave the rock one more heave and left.

The last time I was down there, the rock was still there.