The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 05-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Histrionics just make me annoyed. Borderlines make me want to strangle them.
Of course if it was plain hysteria, there would be a simple cure.

Quote:
The same general definition, or under the name female hysteria, came into widespread use in the middle and late 19th century to describe what is today generally considered to be sexual dissatisfaction. Typical "treatment" was massage of the patient's genitalia by the physician and later vibrators or water sprays to cause orgasm.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Of course if it was plain hysteria, there would be a simple cure.
I really hate it on those rare occasions when my womb goes wandering too.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Histrionics just make me annoyed. Borderlines make me want to strangle them.
I have more reading to do...
Old 05-05-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
mrnoodle
bent

So, in the forum dynamic, is it better to ostracize people with BPD or simply catalogue them in whatever folder you have for such things? Don't they fall in the same category as anyone else one finds insufferable (i.e., ignore-list worthy)? If they are suffering from a psychological condition that they have no control over, is that the same thing as run-of-the-mill attention whoring?

If I'm manic depressive, for example, and I follow up a happy post with a suicidal one, am I not being as "real" as my condition will allow me to be? Or am I dangerous to the herd, and therefore subject to ban? Is the cellar a microcosm of the real world, or does it have its own set of social norms? Seems like the latter, to me. More extreme behavior is tolerated (yet there is still a line that can't be crossed), and one's online-only friendships don't have the same requirements.

I'm genuinely curious, and not in the least prejudging anything that's happened -- aside from the big red letters and anger, what about marichiko is substantially more annoying than, say, me?

Maybe it's just that I don't read ANYthing on the internet without skepticism. I mean, I feel like most of us here are genuine, but I really have no proof of that (nor, to be honest, a vested interest in anyone's honesty). It's more like interactive people-watching or something. I read what people put out there, occasionally fling some poo myself, and just watch the process happen.

I've become acquainted with a few of you outside the confines of http://cellar.org, feel a certain affection (maybe just familiarity?) for most of the rest, but at no point has anyone pissed me off to the point of being mad "IRL". Like busterb says, the off button is there for a reason. You should use it, or the ignore feature, long before you allow yourself to get genuinely angry.

Opinions are like assholes, of course.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I'd go with cataloging them.

I havent been on this forum for very long, but on other forums, I have this little list in my head and when I read someone from that lists post....my head says "oh ya, they are full of shit, they said such-such last week...dickheads" and keep going.

There is an Australian forum that I am a member of that has 18,000+ members and its just weird the way some of those members spend hours a week trying to pick apart someone's story and *out them*. I seriously couldnt be fucked with the time or the effort.

Of course, its interesting to watch that train wreck unfold, but it makes the board unpleasant for a week or so afterwards.

The only problem not outting them is, new members dont know that the *list* exists and therefor, can get their heads/hearts mixed up in the bullshit stories. Some people are just too nice and caring for their own good.

This was a weird scenario....one of the cronic bullshitartists (from another forum) had this whole little PM underground network going, where they would contact all the new members and tell them who was who and who they shouldnt talk to.

That person even spend hours fabricating a whole life story for a member, then convincing all the old time members that they were mentally unstable and should be treated with kid gloves. That went on for weeks before it all came out in the open.

It was fucken hilarious, but very sad at the same time.

I love forum dynamics, they are so interesting.

Dont get me wrong, I have formed some long and great friendships via forums, but I guess I am just not quick to believe everything in print, I just dont spend hours analysing what I read
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts

Of course, its interesting to watch that train wreck unfold, but it makes the board unpleasant for a week or so afterwards.

The only problem not outting them is, new members dont know that the *list* exists and therefor, can get their heads/hearts mixed up in the bullshit stories. Some people are just too nice and caring for their own good.

This was a weird scenario....one of the cronic bullshitartists (from another forum) had this whole little PM underground network going, where they would contact all the new members and tell them who was who and who they shouldnt talk to.

That person even spend hours fabricating a whole life story for a member, then convincing all the old time members that they were mentally unstable and should be treated with kid gloves. That went on for weeks before it all came out in the open.

It was fucken hilarious, but very sad at the same time.

Who would believe this kinda thing happens? What kind of board member is in the know of this happening? or worse in the know but deny it anyway. Why would this thing happen at all? How does the heart of the person mend after being at the brunt of something like that?

oh and it's not fucken hilarious.
I do know it's not hilarious regardless of what people who think have a front row seat to someones internet life/real life. People need to get a life.

I have to give mari the benefit of the doubt. I can't believe people devote time to watching others.It's just strange.

@jinx and others

Here are some alterations on the BPD theme. I don't really like how people are labeled so if one is going to do it one might as well get the label right. I guess.

http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/PD%...d%20Humans.htm

[edit to mention to scroll past the dog thing at the top of the page. At the bottom of the page is a grid and links for subtypes I found interesting,

Last edited by skysidhe; 05-07-2006 at 12:40 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I havent read all of the pages of comments here and was sorta shocked that Mari got banned.

For what it's worth this is my opinion of the whole thing.

Most of what she has posted over the years has driven me crazy and in some cases even mock fired my inert LAWS rocket point blank at Colorodo on the big US map hanging on the wall.

There was very little that she wrote that was not annoying at a very basic level.

However.....

Instead of getting directly involved with the ever ending hardship stories and tales of needless confrontation I truly wondered if her life would change in the positive direction.

She sounds so truly miserable that I honestly wish her peace in life. Circumstances certainly change through a person's life and so might their attitude during those changes.

At a few short times in my own life I have felt as bad as she sounded on the board. Those hard times were only temporary for me though. It seems sad but very possible that Mari will be bitter, angry and confrontational until her last breath.

I still hope that things work out in life for her but realize that they will probably not. That there are people all over the world willing and able to help someone like her out, a hand up, something small or kind gesture, something that might get momentum moving for her.

As for the ban, the cellar is "ours" but not really ours. Thats reality. That's life. Whether you like the decisions here or not the cellar only belongs to one man. Fortunately a very savvy and easy going man but just one.

The schedule here at work now doesnt allow me to read through everything like I can while waiting for a new assignment or on vacation. When there is opportunity for me to start posting my normal funny/worthless/interesting content next, there will be a new cast of people here wondering how Saddam has found access to post at the cellar.

There is something here for anyone sincerely interested in interacting constructively one way or another. That's truly rare these days and I'm grateful to have the chance to stop in now and then.

.............. back to designing widget systems of (whispering voice) B -I- G O -I- L (/whispering voice)
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe

oh and it's not fucken hilarious.
I do know it's not hilarious regardless of what people who think have a front row seat to someones internet life/real life. People need to get a life.
It was funny *to me* Sky, I was one of the people involved, not the whack job either. I found it amusing that people I had been talking to for over 2 years fell for the story this lady fabricated...it was amusing from that perspective.

I just dont get upset about shit like that.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Who would believe this kinda thing happens? What kind of board member is in the know of this happening? or worse in the know but deny it anyway. Why would this thing happen at all? How does the heart of the person mend after being at the brunt of something like that?
Does this bother you because you wonder if it's happening here?

If it is, and you don't know about it, what does that mean?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean people actually aren't out to get you.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Care to diagnose any others here Wolf?
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah
Care to diagnose any others here Wolf?
It doesn't have to be a complete list, just be sure to include all of the nymphomaniacs.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Just keep ME out of it...she'd have a field day with me.
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #13
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

That's what I mean. There's more than enough mental problems to go around. I got some myself. Maybe they just don't or haven't manifested here. Point is Wolf (and some others) feel they've read enough by Mari to diagnose her. Fine. If they know her that well just add her to the ignore list. This whole incident should have never happened. Ignore is around for a reason. The same can apply to Mari too. She could have put those she didn't like on ignore. Ignoring > Fighting in my book.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #14
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

@ ducks, oh, ok
It bothers me that people are so screwed up generally and someone laughs at disfunctional behavior. It bothers me there are obsessive screwballs period.

@ lj, wow, honored with a reply.Maybe you should talk to someone you actually like? 'cause I don't want you starting your weirdness with me again.

No,I don't think those things are happening here, otherwise I wouldn't hang around.
The only person I think is a wierdo is you.
Basically, I think there is just one possible extreme thinker here and if you can keep your obsessions away from me everything will be cool. akay?

Lastly, I think the last sentence of your was an attempt at humor? Your personal bumber sticker?

I thought so. Have a nice day.

Last edited by skysidhe; 05-08-2006 at 08:22 AM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:

@ lj, wow, honored with a reply.Maybe you should talk to someone you actually like? 'cause I don't want you starting your weirdness with me again.
actually, i don't think this is true. you seem to enjoy being abused. you don't, by any chance, cut yourself from time to time, do you?

ps. i never said i didn't like you.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote