The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Why didn't Hollywood save New Orleans?

I am just curious as to why we haven't heard anything from the likes of Sean Penn, Babs Streisand, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie, George Clooney, and the likes with the situation in New Orleans. They squawked and squawked about how bad the war was and blah, blah, blah, but now that we have a real emergency in our own Nation you don't hear a word from Hollywood. Why aren't the Hollywood Lefties forking over some of that "hard earned" cash they love giving away to foreign nations so much to help Americans? Or is helping out your own nation just not hip enough for their crowd? I don't get it. I mean they didn't even go on television to criticize W. for anything about it. Maybe they kept their mouths shut because if they did say anything people would start asking if they were going to help. I don't know. Something is rotten in New Orleans.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You're out of town and all, so here.

I watched about 30 mins today. Aaron Neville sang "Amazing Grace", it was beautiful.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

More benefits scheduled Mr. Tinfoil. Sheesh. Find something real to be outraged by.
I agree with you, Mr. Gun, that something is rotten in New Orleans, but its someone's grandma sitting in her 5th day of human waste under 100 deg temps, not Streisand's checkbook.

You will be gratified to know that during the live telethon Friday (before the military arrived) rapper Kayne West, of his own brand of tin foil/frustration/horror/rich guilt, ranted emotionally about the dying saying that "Bush hates black people." Maybe you can use that. Enjoy.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Actually, he said Bush doesn't care about Black people.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The stars will arrive after the waters have receded and the shooting stops. Wouldn't want to break a nail. Are those guys packing to move to France yet? They promised!

Edit to add: I don't look to Hollywood for public policy decisionmaking, and I don't look to Washington for acting tips.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 09-03-2005 at 04:58 PM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

What do you look to Washington for?
Old 09-03-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

Thanks for the correction: "doesnt care about".
Old 09-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Acting bad.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

Like a feather pass, you one-timed it.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
--clip--
Edit to add: I don't look to Hollywood for public policy decisionmaking, and I don't look to Washington for acting tips.
Boy, do you have that backwards. There is more acting and media awareness and spin and selling in Washington DC than there is in Hollywood CA.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
You will be gratified to know that during the live telethon Friday (before the military arrived) rapper Kayne West, of his own brand of tin foil/frustration/horror/rich guilt, ranted emotionally about the dying saying that "Bush hates black people."
Maybe he does. Maybe he does not. But based upon the actions and promises of George Jr during this week in New Orleans and Washington DC, can you show me a single fact - a single act - that says he does not hate blacks? Regardless of whether the statement is true or not, bottom line - George Jr did not one act to dispell that hypothesis. George Jr did numerous actions to encourage the "He hates blacks" assumption. #1 on my list is all that food, water, and medicine that was not delivered by Air Force One.

Just the facts. Actions are the bottom line. Show me where George Jr did anything last week to dispell the rumors of racism. Show me. Even Laura Bush went to a Louisiana town that suffered no damage - Lafayette LA. Something about finding a more white town that was not denied food and water for four days? A racist would have done that.

At no time did I say George Jr is racist. But show us one action this last week that can dispell rumors. His actions were what a racist would have done.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #12
Happy Monkey

And, to reference the original question, Kanye West was speaking between Mike Meyers and Chris Tucker, two Hollywood stars also helping with the telethon.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-04-2005, 07:38 AM   #13
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Fuck, I missed it, but I still want to know what the big hitters are doing. Where is Babs, Robbins, and Penn? Once again with the racecard...enough all ready. I'm sure there are a mixture of people there suffering. As long as people make issues race related America is going to be ugly. And the people mentioned above aren't Hollywood. Please don't call me Mr. Gun...nicotinegun, or gun. I don't like the Mr. or the Sir, people have the tendency to prefix onto my name. Anyhoo, where are they? Why aren't they forking over the cash like they do to foreign nations.

"Kneel before Zod."
Old 09-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #14
Happy Monkey

What makes you think they aren't?

Tim Robbins
Angelina Jolie
Harry Connick Jr. and Russel Crowe (mov)

Not all of them will be in the news.

Not that it really matters what the celebrities are doing, but don't assume they aren't.
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 09-04-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
And where did Reagan fit in your philosophy? Schwarzenegger? Ventura?

Viggo Mortensen