The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-13-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

A day trip to the shore.... ?

OK, this will probably cement my reputation as a complete & total wet blanket. But I don't like the beach... never have.. all that sand.

Besides that I grew up over in the mountains, and so I don't have experience of there being a beach within relatively easy driving distance.

However the kidlets are eager to go. So, give me some hints about a day trip to the Jersey Shore. Where are good places to go? Any shortcuts? How long whould I allow to get there? etc. etc.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
glatt

I don't know the Jersey Shore too well. The only place I've been is Long Beach Island. I though it was a dump, but then I like to go to wilderness areas on the ocean.

Why do you/they want to go to the beach? For the nature/sun/surf/sand? Or for the human stuff like carnivals/ t-shirt stands/ cotton candy/ ice cream/ or at Atlantic City, the gambling?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:08 AM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

OC NJ is very family oriented. It's dry, has a boardwalk with kiddie rides etc. One year we went overnight and that worked well. Arrived in time for check-in, hit the beach then boardwalk for a while. Woke up, checked out, hit the beach again, and then came back to the hotel (which had outdoor shower facilities and a locker room) to clean up before getting in the jeep to come home.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Thanks, jinx, I'll check it out.

Glatt, knowing my kids, they'll find something completely inane that they could get just as easily here, like a McDonald's play gym or something like that, and glom onto it. But me personally, if we're going, I want to actually hang out at the beach, otherwise what's the point?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I second the suggestion for Ocean City ... plenty of nice beach (they've reclaimed a lot of it since I was a kid, hardly recognized it when I was there a couple years ago), good boardwalk, and Gillians Wonderland.

I don't know if you can still see bits of the Sindia. I'm gonna guess no, although you could up through the mid 80s.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:11 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh, and make sure that you take a side trip to Margate to see Lucy.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
megatron
Cellar Dweller

Long Beach Island is great as well as Point Pleasant. Lots to do in both places. takin the kiddies to LBI for a week in august
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:30 PM   #8
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Point Pleasant has my vote, it has a boardwalk if that's your thing.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:41 PM   #9
jinx
Come on, cat.

I remember beach tags being an issue in OC now that I think about it. Not sure how many other places that applies. I think it was a $25 deposit to get them thru the hotel, but day trippers just have to fork out the money themselves. Not sure how much is costs but it's something you might want to check into before going.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:52 PM   #10
jaguar
whig

what the hell is a beach tag? Aren't beaches public property in the US or did they get sold off too?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:55 PM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Some are public, some are private, and some public property has an entry or parking fee.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:21 PM   #12
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I'd be curious to see what the beaches up there are like. Pictures should be posted once you're back, SteveDallas!

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Steve, you're a Wildwood guy...definitely.

Seriously...Belmar. Beach tags are easy to get and cheap, from what I recall. There's not really any touristy things, but they have a great beach, and there's a playground for the kids.

If you're looking for something more kid-oriented, you might want to go with AC, OC or Sea Isle.

Boy, Kitsune, you are just a funny man today. First, you bag on our ribs (I'd say they're grilled far more than they're boiled or parboiled)...now, you're taking shots at our beaches. Yep...you've got an ass-whipping coming to you. I've taken some photos of Cape May, AC and Belmar over the past few years...now if I would just get them developed...

Last edited by elSicomoro; 07-13-2004 at 08:43 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #14
Kitsune
still eats dirt

now, you're taking shots at our beaches. Yep...you've got an ass-whipping coming to you.

Actually, I'm really curious to see what the beaches up there are like -- I only know them from pictures of Coney Island and I know that isn't valid. Closet I've been is to the beaches in VA and I remember that they were really wide and walking to the water was more of a run. Hot feet!

The image? Just a bizarre reference.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:51 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

As a whole, most of the beaches I've visited in this part of the country are rather nice. The only one I've been to that is just flat out horrible is Asbury Park, NJ.*

*--Let me qualify myself here...I did not hang out on the beach there, just in the town. And let me tell you, it sucks big time.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote