The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #196
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'd like to day that i'm participating, but even though i've voted, i have yet to read one of these books. i've been busy reading a decology that perth would frown upon, and i'm a very slow reader.......up to book 6 i think.......jinx has made me buy a couple of the selections, but i dont know that she's read them yet......

i still like having three strongly recommended books reviewed, though, so keep it up.....i'll get thru this series eventually.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #197
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

I didn't vote because I don't think I will have the time to really read a book this coming month. I don't think its fair for me to vote for a book I have not intention of reading.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #198
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I admit I fell down on reading Ghost Soldiers and Imajica... in both cases I just couldn't connect with the books and ended up reading other stuff. I'm not sure why. But let's keep it going for a bit.. even if it's just reading suggestions.

BTW wolf and others who have read stuff by Feynman himself, I did not find there was a lot of duplication between that and the Gleick biography.

(PS... some of my "extra suggestions" are bogus... I was waiting to see if anybody went out to try to find them)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #199
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm definitely still in, just not this month. I got so excited about reading Lamb that even though it wasn't voted in whatever month that was, it got put in line and read anyway. I'm still gonna bust out with Imagica eventually here, but I wanted to take a month off to catch up.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:48 PM   #200
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

For those that are into Feynman, there are two comic books that touch on his life, one of them, Fallout, centers more on the Manhattan Project, and the other one, Two Fisted Science, is short pieces on many different scientists. You can find info on them at:

http://www.gt-labs.com/
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #201
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

I'm glad you're all still interested, let's keep the ball rolling!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:55 PM   #202
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So we're doing the Feynman biography, right?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:46 AM   #203
Torrere
a real smartass

Damn! I never look at this thread at the right time. Maybe I need to set up something to remind me.

Steve, I was so sure that I Was A Teenage Dominatrix was one of your fake books -- especially when I tried to search for it on Amazon and didn't find it.

Praise Google!
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #204
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
So we're doing the Feynman biography, right?
It looks that way! I'm putting my order in today.

That author, James Gleick, also wrote Chaos, which is a really good science book, though a bit dated by now.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:21 AM   #205
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I also ordered today. And I got the Fallout comic.

Just because I could

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #206
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm very much enjoying Genius, but I doubt that I'll finish before the end of the month ... Do we have a comments thread for it yet?

(THIS IS NOT REALLY A COMPLAINT: Is it me, or are the books getting longer?)

Old 07-14-2004, 01:03 PM   #207
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I haven't started one, but I will. I'm planning on re-reading it while I'm on vacation.

Actually I eliminated one choice, Girls Lean Back Everywhere by Edward Degrazia (which I still recommend highly for anybody who is interested in the history of censorship in the US) because I decided it was just unrealisitically long. (Though it probably does have more naughty bits than any selection to date, so maybe that would encourage closer reading? )
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:20 PM   #208
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

I am STILL waiting for my book from eBay/half.com. Its nearing the outer edges of the expected delivery timeframe.

Wolf, did you get Fallout? Tell me what you think when you get a chance to look at it.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #209
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

I just noticed its about time for announcing next month's chooser.

so without further delay, I've run the number generator, and my result is

Headsplice!

While I haven't spotted this person around, he has posted as of 7-8-04, so he's around. I've pm'ed him, so let's see if he responds quickly.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:09 AM   #210
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have Fallout, but really want to finish Genius before I get distracted by something else.

I also have a copy of Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas beckoning seductively from the bedside. As well as a large pile of DVDs and a pile of assorted books I got on sale from the Townhall.com Conservative Book Club.

Zell Miller's A National Party No More is my current bathroom book. (does anyone else do that? Leave some reading more interesting than People Magazine in the temple of comfort for those moments described in the sit or stand thread? Usually the potty book is something that is a bit more "sectional" than this. One that I had MUCH enjoyment with was an encyclopedia of mystical places, so I whiled away my time reading about Stonehenge and Atlantis and the Piri Reis Map.)