The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ok, so I know it's been awhile, but I finally got my copy in from the library and finished it. I originally read the book when I was maybe 12 or 13, but I remembered almost nothing about it. A few pieces of imagery here and there, but no plot at all (actually, there was one vague scene that I kept waiting for but it never happened, so that must have been in some other book I read around the same time.)

My biggest problem was that, like Slartibartfast, the Dominions felt really small to me. Not even full planets, to be honest; in my mind they were no bigger than a few towns and the surrounding areas. I mean hell, when they complete the circle of the Imajica, the openings into the First and the Fourth are mentioned as both being in London, just a few miles apart. I felt like the Imajica was really just five Englands. And they say Americans are self-centered. (Incidentally, none of the characters had a British accent in my mind, despite obvious evidence that they should.)

I had a very strong mental image of Gentle, because I knew a guy in college who was exactly like him. He wasn't a "player," he just loved all women, and was as helpless in their grasp as they were in his. The most chaste girls would have one-night stands with him (and no one else ever again,) and no one was ever bitter afterwards--we were all glad to share him. It was truly amazing. So anyway, I'm honored to say I've met the real-life Gentle.

Overall, I enjoyed the book quite a lot (enough that I decided to re-read "The Great and Secret Show," which I also remember nothing about--maybe my mystery scene will show up there...) and the 850-odd pages just flew by. It never really lost speed for me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote