The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #1
Big Joe
Fellow-Commoner

The Presidential Debate...

Man, I got extra credit for watching it, but I only needed see the first 15min to have seen it all : / Same old political bullshit- Ignore the questions, Avoid the issues, slander your apponents and glorify yourself. Bush stumbled and Kerry glazed his speech with shameless sympathetic ideaology. There goes another 90min of my life, wasted
And they complain because youth dosent follow politics!
Big Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

The league of women voters should be back in there insisting on real debate....but...Bush wouldnt participate.

I saw this CNN piece like a week or so ago interviewing troops in Iraq about how they will vote. There were a couple of guys with the expected Bush support, one open Kerry supporter and one who covered his name badge. And a couple of soldiers that said they had no intention of voting because it didnt matter. Made me sad then angry.

They're over there dying in order to establish Iraq elections but wont participate in their own.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

On the way to lunch, today, I got held up at an intersection while a massive motorcade passed -- Senator Kerry dropped by USF, so I decided to drop in and see what he had to say. From the number of students that filled the Sundome, I'd have to say that the youth does indeed pay attention to politics. At least, for this election a lot of them certainly are. Message boards around campus have also been tacked over with political writing for the last several months, too, which I've never seen before, and its students writing the stuff and putting it up!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
I saw this CNN piece like a week or so ago interviewing troops in Iraq about how they will vote. There were a couple of guys with the expected Bush support, one open Kerry supporter and one who covered his name badge. And a couple of soldiers that said they had no intention of voting because it didnt matter. Made me sad then angry.
I saw that report this morning. Sad.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

just remember that the guys with mics and cameras will try to make a story where there isn't one. there is no telling how many people they interviewed, who didn't cover their name, but that film is on the cutting room floor.

although the majority of the military supports bush, there are many open kerry supporters, it isn't that big of a deal.

and the troops who aren't going to vote probably show up in the same percentages in the civilian world, too. just because someone is willing to wear the uniform, doesn't make them necessarily interested in politics.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

Back when the Iraq war started there was some good chat around here from all ages, and particularly some articulate and interested young people on all sides of it who werent about to get told what for by any of us old folk. That gave me some hope as they're the ones actually doing the fighting and will be doing the paying. I know there are some thoughtful and motivated young people out there, free thinking, rooted in reality, and motivated to pay attention by more than the dangling carrot of extra credit.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:24 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

just because someone is willing to wear the uniform, doesn't make them necessarily interested in politics

See, that's sad. Thats very sheep like.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:35 PM   #8
lookout123
changed his status to single

i think it is sad that anyone is not motivated enough to take part in our governmental processes, but at the same time i disagree that it is sheeplike.

they are exercises their right to not participate. not everyone joins the military with grand visions of patriotism before them. for many it is just a way to get college money, or a decent job without any college education. it should only be expected that some of these people, not have any interest in politics just like many of their age bracket in civilian life.