The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-24-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
marichiko

Greetings from Colorado's San Luis Valley!

Hi, all! I'm sitting in an internet cafe in, of all places, Alamosa, Colorado. Tonight's the big night for Mike's guitar concert, (see "Spanish Guitar in the entertainment thread if you're curious) and I am REALLY nervous!

But its a beautiful fall day, and tomorrow we're off to see the Aspens which are absolutely primo right now (Mike's playing a tremolo in the back ground which seems to be resonating in time with my jitters). Glad to see the cellar is back again. Hope that we break a leg tonight, everybody!

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
perth
Strong Silent Type

Hey, Mari, what exactly is considered the "San Luis Valley"? I was wondering this while reading our recent frost warnings.

Oh! And break a leg. Not a real leg, mind. I would feel really bad if you did that.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
Hey, Mari, what exactly is considered the "San Luis Valley"? I was wondering this while reading our recent frost warnings.

Oh! And break a leg. Not a real leg, mind. I would feel really bad if you did that.
The San Luis Valley roughly includes the area west of Poncha Pass on highway 160, south of the town of Salida, north of Antonito on the New Mexico border, and east of the little town of Del Norte. It's a wide, high elvelation rift valley which has been created by tectonic plates moving apart under the earth's crust right up the center of the valley floor. Because of the high elevation it tends to get quite cold. The San Luis Valley was once part of Mexico and was part of the lands ceded to the US after the Mexican-American war. It is a very poor place, but has a very rich cultural heritage, and parts of it are so pretty that it makes your heart ache. (More than you ever wanted to know, I'm sure).
Old 09-24-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Hey Mari! Hope your having a fabulous time! Don't let any rabid Kokapelli get you though.....I heard that area is over-run with them!! I expect a full report when you decide to wander back home!!
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote