The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-07-2004, 09:15 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Different Versions of the Same Song

A few weeks ago I picked up a used copy of 'Songs in the Key of X', an X-Files tribute album. On it was "Red Right Hand" by NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS.

Last week I picked up a used copy of the Scream II soundtrack. It had the same song by the same group.

Listening to them, I was struck by how different the two versions were. It almost appeared as if they were done by two different groups.

Usually, when the same artist has two significantly different versions its because -

1) S/He purposely creates an unplugged version to concentrate on melody and lyrics.

2) The concert version cannot duplicate the effects of the studio version.

3) Years later the artist reinvents the song to reflect a new vision.

None of these cases appear to be true. My guess is that the movie required the song to be toned down for use in the soundtrack. The X-Files version is more dramatic.

Of course the only way to see which is closer to the original would be to listen to the original version.

BTYW, I recommend the X-Files album for anyone who likes odd music. One track titled "Star Me Kitten" which is actually F**K Me Kitten, is a poem about Marlene Dietrich by William S. Burroughs with music by R.E.M. It's the most unusual thing I've heard in a while.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think I have that album ... and I like that Red Right Hand song a lot.

In a way, this discussion links to yours in more ways than one, because of the William S. Burroughs Connection.

One of my favorite version variations is "Excellent Birds/This is the Picture"

I first heard it on Laurie Anderson's album, "Mr. Heartbreak". She sings it along with Peter Gabriel.

It also appears on his album "So". Different version. She sings it along with him.

There is a yet again different version in Laurie's Concert film "Home of the Brave."

I saw Peter Gabriel perform it live on his So tour, both the inbound and outbound legs.

And I saw Laurie's live version on her Strange Angels tour.

Each version was unique, some subtlely, some strikingly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

One song comes to mind that falls into the same vein as the Nick Cave song Rich mentioned.

In the spring of '94, the soundtrack to "The Crow" featured a new Helmet song, "Milktoast." It was standard Helmet fare, though it featured a bunch of electronic effects and a white noise-like ending.

When Helmet's CD Betty was released later that spring, the name of the song became "Milquetoast," it was devoid of the electronic effects and had a fade ending.

Both versions of the song kick all kinds of ass.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Radiohead's Pablo Honey album had 2 versions of "Creep." One that used the phrase "So very special" (like on the radio) and another that used "so fucking special." I always thought it was funny that they made a whole different version of the song just for the word "fuck."
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #5
elSicomoro

Shit...completely forgot...

There are 2 versions of Soundgarden's "Fell on Black Days": The album version and the video version (that also got radio airplay)...the only real difference between the two are the vocal effects on the album version.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:00 PM   #6
elSicomoro

Damnit...now I remember more:

--Poe, "Hello" (single version has more guitars in it than the album version)
--Alanis Morissette, "You Oughta Know" (the bass is more prominent in the single version...which is also a hidden track at the end of the CD Jagged Little Pill)
Old 03-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #7
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Didn't Sublime have 2 versions of "What I got" on their album?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
elSicomoro

Yep...one was a bit more dancehall than the other.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #9
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

BTYW, I recommend the X-Files album for anyone who likes odd music. One track titled "Star Me Kitten" which is actually F**K Me Kitten, is a poem about Marlene Dietrich by William S. Burroughs with music by R.E.M. It's the most unusual thing I've heard in a while.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but have you ever heard Burroughs CD 'Spare-Ass Annie & Other Tales'? I am a big fan of his written word, but hearing his texts read with some 'blinging beats' is quite odd. I think the Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy did the beats. To hear somebody that sounds like the typical grandfather telling storys about a junky looking for a score on christmas is quite different.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:49 PM   #10
elSicomoro

He was also featured in the video and remix of Ministry's "Just One Fix."
Old 03-07-2004, 11:21 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Something that has become popular these days is for box sets and other re-releases of older material to have remixes using newer and better technology.

I've been hearing a version of The Who's "I Can See for Miles" that I am virtually certain must have been remixed after their last greatest hits release. It has a strikingly louder, boomier bass part than I remember, and I've heard this song *a lot* since I was a kid.

I'm betting you can find a lot of similar situations with other groups.