The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Royal Wedding - Street Party?

This came up because I was talking to my parents’ neighbour on the bus.
I mentioned - mostly in jest - about us having a street party for the Royal Wedding.
Now, we live in a Close - a place with only one entrance and exit. And connected by a pathway is another Close that has a mini-green.

Perfect place for a party.

I could very easily put out a tick-box response whether people would want a “street” party for the wedding. It need not affect anyone’s parking. It would not require a permit. Everyone would bring what they want and OF COURSE any alcohol would be bought and consumed by individuals.

A street party - what a great idea!
Brings to whole community together.

All I’m thinking is - what if it rains?
If I’m at the head of this will I be blamed?
Also is it more organisation than I can manage?

Should I just step back, not take up a great opportunity to create a memorable experience, especially as people in two Closes do know and acknowledge their neighbours?

I am not an ardent royalist.
This is about neighbourhood cohension. Adout 20 houses would be involved, if everyone agreed/ responded.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

It sounds like fun. Don't kill yourself and get blamed (especially for rain!?), just send a message like "how about we all get together - bring your own stuff". Someone is likely to have a "pavillion". Even if nobody does, at worst everybody can have their own little party in their own house.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Cloud

a proper and traditional excuse for a party, street or otherwise.

I'd make sure at least one other person/neighbor is willing to coordinate with you. Don't try to do it alone.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
glatt

Street parties are so much fun. Go for it.

In my jurisdiction, the fine for having an illegal street party and blocking the road is the same as the fee for a permit to do it legally. And if nobody complains, the cops won't even find out about it. Our street has one every year, and stopped getting permits for them a couple years ago. We just block off the street with orange cones somebody has.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

Put out a flyer asking if people are interested and if so:
> Are they interested/willing to help organize
> Are they willing to help set up/ clean up
> How many adults/kids
> How many tables/chairs/rainshelters/big outdoor TV screens could they provide

What I'm trying to say is if you're sending round a checkbox flyer about interest, ask the other basic info you will need to know at the same time, then you will have a much better idea of how much work is going to be involved and how much you will be shouldering if you go ahead. Also you won't irritate people with a zillion different flyers, and it will make it seem more real so you might get more accurate responses.

ALSO

probably a comment from Captain Obvious here, but check with your parents ESPECIALLY your mum first. Make her think it's her idea if you can/can bear to. But it's certainly her house and her neighbourhood and you are not going to be a happy camper if she isn't happy.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Make sure you are well stocked with these:

Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

We have a block party every year. When the notices go out, they always include wording like "In the event of bad weather, we'll send out email of an alternate date."

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
glatt

Wife just got invited to a royal wedding party live via satellite at 5:30 in the morning. She's actually pretty excited about it. There will be tea and scones.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Monster has a very good point about Mum.
In fact I was putting out feelers here to decide whether it was worth even broaching the subject with her. Her first fear is likely to be that we will have our windows smashed in by people who "disagree". She no longer displays a Christmas poster from the Church for this reason (there is an Asian family living in the close) and will not put up a "Vote For" sign any more.

I think it would be a shame to miss the opportunity.
I will talk to Mum, she might surprise me.
I will also talk to Maureen next door. She thought it was a wonderful idea. She might allow me to use her address for responses. I'm sure she'd be willing to discuss it anyway.

And after all, if it is simply turn up and enjoy what you bring, there is no need for that much organising. And of course there might be some really gung-ho would-be organisers out there.

I will draft my tickbox response with the details as above.
But have my conversations before I deliver it.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I am not an ardent royalist.
Yes, but it's still probably a better choice than a 4th of July party,

BTW, if you ever did decide to throw a 4th of July party, I would be willing to send over some appropriate and authentic USA foodstuffs.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Wife just got invited to a royal wedding party live via satellite at 5:30 in the morning. She's actually pretty excited about it. There will be tea and scones.
this sounds fun. I remember getting up in the middle of the night and watching the whole Charles & Diana thing. I'll probably do something similar this time too, just for the hell of it. I love a good wedding celebration (tho not marriage, necessarily).

when is it again? and I wonder when the coverage starts in Mountain time. hope it's on a weekend!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Cloud

okay, the wedding is on april 29, a Friday. So, that means like 2 in the morning here? on a Friday? that sucks. vacation day, mebbe
Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Yes, but it's still probably a better choice than a 4th of July party,

BTW, if you ever did decide to throw a 4th of July party, I would be willing to send over some appropriate and authentic USA foodstuffs.
People with a connection certainly throw 4th of July parties here. In companies with offices in America and/ or imported American employees they also have them. Despite a (somewhat) outdated stiff-upper-lip image, the English do like to party.

Fo example the death of Guy Fawkes (Catholic who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament) is celebrated on 5th November. He was due to be hanged, drawn and quartered - a particularly grisly death - but broke his own neck by jumping from the scaffold during the hanging phase. For defying justice he was sentenced to burn in effigy.

THIS is therefore a celebration every year, with bonfires, fireworks and dodgy meat products. Hurray!

So a minor colony deciding they don't want support is small beer ()
But Merc - if you could find the people, I'd sort the party - I have absolutely no qualms in celebrating a setback to Royalty hundreds of years ago.