The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #46
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

The typical family heading to the west had at least one gun ... or they didn't make it to the promised land - Period. A gun was their defense, their security and in virtually all cases their only way to eat meat.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #47
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Nope, slavery happens all over the place still. It's just not demonised as much when it happens in western nations because most of us prefer to believe it doesn't happen.

I think it's probably arguing semantics as to who actually did the catching of African people. Ultimately, in western history it's white people who've been the masters.
You are quite correct that slavery remains a modern problem in many places of the world. You are incorrect that whites captured slaves, they mostly bought them from other blacks for export tot he the US. If you look at the period when Europe dominated Africa, sure they whites were heavily involved in the slavery of Africans. This was a great read on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Leopold's_Ghost
Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #48
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

As I mentioned, regardless of who did the catching, white people did the purchasing and also as previously mentioned, indigenous tribes have been enslaving each other throughout the ages.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #49
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
He's just a wanker that kid. Needs to good belting if you ask me.
That kid - also described as boy genius.
Quote:
We don't live in the wild wild west anymore. I don't see why people need to continue to glorify this [firearms] ideoligy.
Quote:
Yes of course medicine and better standards of living for many has increased lifespans immeasurably, but I think it's unwise to discount the fact that life is much 'safer' now than it was then.
The reply was in response to the wide ranging and otherwise diluted posts by Aliantha. Aliantha who claims population increases are due to safer environements. Well, the post contracted that Aliantha supposition. But Aliantha did not even read the post correctly.
Quote:
I'm just wondering why tw brought Africa into it. I wouldn't say that it's clear Africa has been a 'safe' place ever by western standards. ...
As for the boy genius, I've no idea what that's supposed to mean.
How curious. My post did not suggest Africa was safer. It obviously suggested Africa is less safe - and still a population boom has occurred. In short, Africa is a perfect example of Aliantha's erroneous conclusions and supporting facts for xoxoxoBruce's reply to that erroneous Aliantha conclusion.

Aliantha - difficult for you to comprehend replies to your posts when you have so much difficulty staying on message. Maybe read what you posted before completely misreading replies? You assumed what you wanted to read rather than first read what was posted. Posted was a summary reply to your many otherwise rambling posts – as quoted above.

Where is a common theme in your above quoted posts? Too much eggnog again?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #50
classicman

Whats the title of this thread again?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #51
TheMercenary

tw's rambling posts?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #52
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
The typical family heading to the west had at least one gun ... or they didn't make it to the promised land - Period.
Rarely did a family have more than one rifle. One reason for wagon trains was defense because so few guns were available AND were most often single shot rifles. Better organized groups always planned so that when someone shot, another always still had a loaded gun. Contrary to the Hollywood version, guns were not so plentiful The west was not as dangerous as Hollywood (and Aliantha) would have us believe.

Even after the Civil War, Custard's company only had single shot rifles at Little Big Horn. One would never know that if educated in Wild West gun myths from Hollywood that insist the West was so dangerous. Guns were never as plentiful as popular myths would have us believe because the west was not as dangerous as those myths also promote.

Last edited by tw; 01-04-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #53
tw

Quote:
Quote:
We don't live in the wild wild west anymore. I don't see why people need to continue to glorify this [firearms] ideoligy.
Quote:
Yes of course medicine and better standards of living for many has increased lifespans immeasurably, but I think it's unwise to discount the fact that life is much 'safer' now than it was then.
The reply was in response to the wide ranging and otherwise diluted posts by Aliantha. Aliantha claims population increases are due to safer environements. A reply contracted that Aliantha supposition. But Aliantha did not even read that post correctly.
Quote:
I'm just wondering why tw brought Africa into it. I wouldn't say that it's clear Africa has been a 'safe' place ever by western standards. ...
How curious. My post did not suggest Africa was safer. Why does Aliantha read so erroneously? It obviously suggested Africa - especially Central Africa - is less safe. And still a population boom has occurred - contradicting what Aliantha has posted. Africa is a perfect example of Aliantha's erroneous conclusions and supports xoxoxoBruce's reply to that erroneous Aliantha conclusion.

Aliantha - difficult for you to comprehend replies to your posts when you have so much difficulty staying on message. Maybe read what you posted before completely misreading replies? You assumed what you wanted to read rather than first read what was posted. Posted was a summary reply to your many otherwise rambling posts – as quoted above.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #54
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Originally Posted by Aliantha

Quote:

The reply was in response to the wide ranging and otherwise diluted posts by Aliantha. Aliantha claims population increases are due to safer environements. A reply contracted that Aliantha supposition. But Aliantha did not even read that post correctly.

How curious. My post did not suggest Africa was safer. Why does Aliantha read so erroneously? It obviously suggested Africa - especially Central Africa - is less safe. And still a population boom has occurred - contradicting what Aliantha has posted. Africa is a perfect example of Aliantha's erroneous conclusions and supports xoxoxoBruce's reply to that erroneous Aliantha conclusion.

wtf?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #55
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
wtf?
As a supporter of George Jr and Rush Limbaugh, are you so low in class as to only post profanity? Do you have any kids under the age of 5? Just worried for the kids.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #56
classicman

Quote:
Rarely did a family have more than one rifle. Contrary to the Hollywood version, guns were not so plentiful The west was not as dangerous as Hollywood would have us believe.

Custard's company only had single shot rifles at Little Big Horn. Guns were never as plentiful as popular myths would have us believe because the west was not as dangerous as those myths also promote.
Why don't you look up some statistics on how many perished getting to CA from the east and then tell us it wasn't that dangerous. You are completely wrong. not 85%, 100% wrong.

Repeating rifles were not being manufactured long enough, nor in great enough numbers and were EXTREMELY expensive when compared to the single shot competitors. Many in the army also refused to use anything, but their own rifles which they were more comfortable with. There were also contracts that the army had for the single shot rifles, cost, availability, reputation, reliability, availability...
You are so wrong on so many levels here - stick to something you know something about. This certainly isn't it.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #57
TheMercenary

Quote:
As a supporter of George Jr and Rush Limbaugh...
WTF?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #58
classicman

Quote:
As a supporter of George Jr and Rush Limbaugh, I am so low in class as to only post profanity. Do you have any kids under the age of 5? Just worried for the kids.
Still doing the name calling thing eh? Yet when done to you, you cry foul. Interesting.

By the way what do the name calling age of children and your assumptions about Rush and GWB have to do with anything on topic here?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #59
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Why don't you look up some statistics on how many perished getting to CA from the east and then tell us it wasn't that dangerous. You are completely wrong. not 85%, 100% wrong.

Repeating rifles were not being manufactured long enough, nor in great enough numbers and were EXTREMELY expensive when compared to the single shot competitors. Many in the army also refused to use anything, but their own rifles which they were more comfortable with. There were also contracts that the army had for the single shot rifles, cost, availability, reputation, reliability, availability...
You are so wrong on so many levels here - stick to something you know something about. This certainly isn't it.
tw obviously failed US history. Now we get to hear how he is all right and everything everyone else knows of the history of the exploration of the West is false. Are tw and Radar related?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #60
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
WTF?
Amazing the class of people who find profanity amusing. Are those kids under 5 - and therefore at risk? Kids are at greater risk with lower class parents.