The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 08-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #3091
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, at least they have their sights set on something realistic...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #3092
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ever wonder what a certain bird sounds like? The Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Macaulay Library claims they have for your listening (and viewing) pleasure, the world's largest archive of wildlife sounds and videos. Go wild!
Old 08-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #3093
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The Spruce Goose - some assembly required.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #3094
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Weirdest Laws From Each State

Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #3095
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Some of those laws don't seem that weird, like salvaging road kill.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #3096
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Why The Wingdings Font Exists

Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #3097
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks, I wondered what that was about.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #3098
glatt

http://micro-universe.tumblr.com/

bunch of cool scanning electron microscope images
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #3099
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest for 2015.
The winner is Dr Joel Phillips of West Trenton, New Jersey. An Alabama native, Joel teaches music theory and composition at Westminster Choir College in Princeton, New Jersey.

This is the winning entry, but the others are well worth reading.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #3100
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

VOX has an article entitled, "Tech nerds are smart. But they can't seem to get their heads around politics". The first part sings the praises of Tim Urban's WAIT BUT WHY, for digging deep into, and explaining in plain English, subjects many people are fuzzy about.

In the majority of the article, David Roberts, explains why he thinks Urban, like many tech nerds, get politics wrong, when not shunning it in disgust. He goes on with his explanation of why Congress is gridlocked, and his reasoning is far beyond money. He explains how the roots, trunk, and branches of American politics, grew to the tangle it is today.

It sound logical, reaffirms things I knew, dispels some misconceptions I had, and clarified a lot of fuzzy WTFs. You may like it, or not, but I think you'll come away with a clearer picture.
Quote:
First, independents are not independent. In fact, "independent" may be the second most myth-encrusted, poorly understood phenomenon in US politics. The key thing to understand about independents is that they generally vote like partisans. As political scientist John Sides says:

"They tend to be loyal to their party’s candidate in elections. They tend to have favorable views of many political figures in their party. They are not much more likely to identify as ideologically moderate. To be sure, independent leaners are not as partisan as the strongest partisans. But they resemble weaker partisans much more than they do real independents. In actuality, real independents make up just over 10 percent of Americans, and a small fraction of Americans who actually vote."

Second, the most myth-encrusted phenomenon in US politics is the "moderate." The popular conception of moderates is that they gravitate toward the political center, splitting the difference between the mainstream positions of the two parties.

If that's a moderate, then America doesn't have many of those either. In fact, the relative prevalence of moderates in popular polling is almost certainly a statistical artifact. A voter with one extreme conservative opinion (round up and expel all illegal immigrants immediately) and one extreme liberal opinion (institute a 100 percent tax on wealth over a million dollars) will be marked, for the purposes of polling, as a moderate. What's really being measured is heterogeneity of opinion, not centrism. In fact, most moderates have at least one opinion that is well outside the mainstream of either party.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #3101
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

How would someone be classified if they don't care about the candidate's positions at all? ie, just vote against the incumbent; just vote to split congress/president; just vote on personality? Is that independent or moderate?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #3102
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He addresses that.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #3103
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Sort of; I guess they would be "independent"; but the relevant paragraph was about super-rational voting, by people who pick without regard to party. I read that as caring only about issues, and how the issues happened to lay out at the time (as in, right now I consider issue X is most important, I agree most with candidate Y on issue X, so I vote for Y). It doesn't quite line up with people who are apathetic about issues, but they probably would fall into the "independent" bucket anyway.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #3104
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quite a few GOP voters have drunk the purple Koolade

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...rn-us-cruz-was
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #3105
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The notion that every concept has to be on a left-right line, with everyone falling exactly one place on the line and all reasoning being a debate between one side or the other... is some serious bullshit once you stop and think about it

Our educational system, our media, our entire society wants to push every single goddamn thing under the sun into this continuum. Except that almost no actual issue works that way; and people's ideas don't even work this way. The only thing this represents now is a rough divide of some forms of schools of thought. Not even philosophies, just groups of people who use mob behavior and group-think to decide how they should describe the world and its problems, that's our continuum.

Should we use that to decide on anything in the world?

I fail to buy into the author's worship of this continuum, and as a result I just want to kick him squarely in the nuts. Yawn, another Vox article that "explains" how if you are very smart you will agree with the author.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote