The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #2476
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure, that's what you call the people that agree with you. You know what to call the ones who don't.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #2477
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Having posted about the butcher's shop in Suffolk (#2470) which was the subject of complaints about dead creatures in its window, it jogged my memory about similar complaints made in a fishing port in Devon.

Read on...

Quote:
Tourist who criticised 'fishy' Devon town tells residents to 'go to Specsavers'
========================================

A man who was ridiculed for complaining that a working fishing port in a tourist resort smelled of fish has again hit out, calling the town a ''dump'' and suggesting anyone who found it picturesque should ''go to Specsavers''.

David Copp, 46, complained after visiting Ilfracombe in north Devon with his two young children, aged seven and eight, saying the smell of dead fish from a working trawler in the harbour created a ''nauseating stench'' that upset them and would put off other tourists.

At the time, on August 21, Mr Copp, a former fish and chip shop owner, contacted Ilfracombe harbourmaster Rob Lawson to complain about the smell coming from the Lady Of Lundy trawler before calling the North Devon Journal.

He said his children had been ''distressed'' by the smell and also the sight of dead fish and crabs on the harbourside.

After the story was featured in national newspapers and radio, with locals pointing out that it was a working harbour, Mr Copp, from Brighton, East Sussex, contacted the local newspaper again to complain about how he had been portrayed.

He told the paper: ''A lot of the comments that have been made are pretty unsympathetic, saying that Ilfracombe is a working harbour, but it is not much of a harbour, I think it is a complete joke.

''Compare it to somewhere like Brixham (in south Devon) - you wouldn't get fish lying around for hours on end there.''

He also criticised one paper for describing Ilfracombe as ''picturesque''.

''If they call that picturesque, they need their eyes tested. It is a complete dump. The high street and top of the town is a complete dump. I suggest they go to Specsavers,'' he told the paper.
Daily Telegraph
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #2478
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Since everyone found out he's an ass, he's just reinforcing his position as king ass.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #2479
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
We have a lot of "Right to farm life" signs posted around these here parts.

Basically means "If you move to farm country from the city don't be surprised at the things you find on and around farms."
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #2480
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

On carcasses in butchers' windows: I can understand why some parents feel that way. It's not like they've marched into an abattoir and complained about blood, or a farm and complained about animal shit.

Lots of kids take that stuff in their stride, but not all. The idea that kids shouldn't be shielded from the realities of life and death, or from the realities of what they consume and where it comes from is all well and good until you have a five year old waking up with nightmares and terrified of walking down the high street, because that's where the butcher's shop window is, with its glassy eyed pigs head and glistening rabbit corpses.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #2481
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

But surely that's an argument for more butchers' shop windows, not less.
I grew up with them, and despite becoming extremely squeamish at about the age of ten (no idea what happened, but all of a sudden blood made me nauseous) they were just part of life.

Even when I felt ill when I saw Give Blood car stickers, I could still walk past a sawdust strewn butchers' shop, because that was where meat came from.
I'd never condone forcing a sensitive child into dissection of an animal or animal part, but I equally would not condone stopping a purveyor of dead animals from displaying their wares.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #2482
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh horseshit, the 5 year old won't have nightmares (about the butcher shop, anyway) if the parents are doing their job.
Sorry folks, Wally World is closed today, you'll have to keep your kid in a reality proof box until we open again.

The internet is rife with people that don't know they and their pets are made of meat, there are actually days you shouldn't go out in the woods, and there is a relationship between everything and it's food.

These people spawn and vote.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #2483
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I am indebted to this morning's edition of The Times...

Quote:
The Rev Ian Gregory writes from Stoke-on-Trent to express concern that the council has taken joined-up thinking too far. A new medical centre has been built in the city that is next door but one to the coroner’s office, across the road from the mortuary and, if all else fails, bang opposite a scrap yard. Doesn’t entirely smack of optimism about the doctors’ skills at curing the sick.
In a similar vein...

A while back, I was stuck in a traffic jam, seemingly for all eternity, when I noticed a local undertaker's premises next door to a betting shop. I briefly considered visiting both establishments to see who would offer the better odds.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #2484
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I know exactly where that is...

Bill Bryson wrote that he went past a shop which advertised "We buy absolutely anything!"
So he went on and gobbed on the counter and asked "How much for that?"
Of course he didn't really.

They were closed.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #2485
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
I know exactly where that is...
And for those who don't....
Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #2486
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have some dead birds. I guess all the old timers in Wycombe are traumatized.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #2487
glatt

Seems like it would be more sanitary to keep them alive in a pen in back and slaughter them at time of sale. Those ones up high look like they may have turned.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #2488
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They're ripening.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #2489
glatt

Yeah. Just a little longer, and you can stand under them and catch bits in your mouth as they fall off.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #2490
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

That's a lot of damn birds. They had to expect to sell those by the end of the day, if they were put out like that, surely? Maybe it was Thanksgiving or Christmas and they knew every person in town would be coming to get one?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote