The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

April 29, 2007: Performance artist cages himself

via thisislondon.co.uk, who boldly titles this "another fine mesh you've gotten me into".

It's a bit of a role-reversal here, with the man caged so the tigers can enjoy seeing him. Actually the tiger visit is only one part of a larger exhibition for German performance artist Arnd Drossel:
Quote:
His stunt was one stop on a 220-mile roll through the German state of North-Rhine Westphalia to raise money for, and awareness about, psychiatric patients.

He accepts that some observers will judge him 'a stripe short of a tiger' for including this particular area of the Stukenbrock Safari Park on his route.

But he insists his protective capsule - 250 high-grade steel strands welded into something resembling a massive ball of wool - is strong enough to keep him safe. Drossel, 38, who designs furniture for a living when not suffering for his art, will eat, sleep and move in the ball.

He propels it by simply shifting his weight in a walking motion, and aims to cover 13 miles a day.

'I got the idea for this because, about a year ago, I hit a low and
realised how little help there was out there,' he said.

'I set about thinking of a way to publicise those who need psychiatric help and came up with this.

'Basically, the whole concept is about finding the courage to do something and inspire courage in those who have lost their confidence along with much else.'
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote