The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-26-2004, 05:07 AM   #1
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

High powered jobs

Hello, symbols of free time. I haven't posted in a few days because I have been so rushed of my arse in my head fucking deadline dictated piss boring stress inducing supposedly 'high powered' job that I haven't had time to think. Or eat. Or sleep. For three days. Can you either a) make me feel better by telling me its worth it for the money and I'm proving myself and I'm successful or b) tell me it's all a load of shit there's more to life it doesn't mean anything and give me the incentive I need to just quit and go and live in a camper van somewhere in Wales.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:42 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Make lots of money *then* bugger off to the welsh caravan.....ask yourself how you'd feel if the job was taken away from you. Imagine it. If it happened right this minute would you be mainly upset/disappointed with a little bit of relief or would you be mainly relieved but a little upset?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #3
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Completely relieved. No upset.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:14 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

If that's more than just the stress of a bad week talking then maybe now's a good time to look at alternatives in your life. *smiles*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:04 AM   #5
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Yes, have been considering alternatives all my life. Cognitively agree with the Buddhist notion that happiness is not dictated by situation, therefore it doesn't actually matter what I DO, I should just BE. But some things are definitely more pleasant to BE than others. Have therefore decided to make the Big Change in the ill-fated hope it will (affix 're-' to any of the following) energise/vamp/invigorate/solve aspects of my life I am unhappy with. Options include writing full time, a high-flying career in the music industry, a wandering guitarist, a well-respected philosopher and/or a Nobel prizewinning scientist, having discovered something of incredible humanitarian/environmental worth. The ladder is high and I'm just one step away from the bottom. Any inspiration would be most welcome.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

this may sound weird , but take up fly fishing , it can be VERRRRY zen like , just imagen you standing out in a srping sreek in waders with a vest containing every thing you need to fish , the syenergy of a good fly cast , a fish desides to hit your fly , you pull up on the line , feel the fish pull back , you play it up and down the river , playing the fish just enough to tire it but not ware it totaly out , net it , remove the fly , admire the beauty of such a vividly live creature , take a pic , then relese it back to the river with a wave and a " see you next time " , rince off your hands and start all over again , or walk over to the bank and pull a cold beer from the stream ( they have been cooling in the water ) or smoke a "J" and start all over again .

Life is to short not to get SOME pleasure from the experence , and also if you work all the time and stress all the time when do you have time to enjoy ALL the money that you are makeing ???

Read my sig line and understand what it is saying !!

Last edited by zippyt; 05-26-2004 at 10:27 PM.
zippyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
marichiko

It depends on what your high powered job consists of. Are you writing advertising copy for some worthless item that no one especially wants or needs or helping build bigger and even more destructive weapons of mass annialation? Or are you doing something that you feel is a contribution for the good, what Buddhist's call "right livelyhood"? Answer me that, and I'll be able to give you an opinion.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:54 AM   #8
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko
Are you writing advertising copy for some worthless item that no one especially wants or needs
Yes.

or helping build bigger and even more destructive weapons of mass annialation?

In the sense that adverts mass annihilate culture, conscience and control, then yes.

Or are you doing something that you feel is a contribution for the good, what Buddhist's call "right livelyhood"?

No.

PS. zippyt - fly fishing.... I'm a veggie and don't eat fish and couldn't forgive myself if I killed one by accident, and don't like the thought of teasing them. How would you like to be dunked in water with flies all over you then pulled out again because some supersize fish thought it would be a fun way to relax after a long day at the fish farm (I think I've missed the point haven't I) Might try the stand-in-a-river-with-a-joint thing though...
Old 05-27-2004, 04:30 AM   #9
Nothing But Net
Professor

Re: High powered jobs

Quote:
Originally posted by Catwoman
Hello, symbols of free time. I haven't posted in a few days because I have been so rushed of my arse in my head fucking deadline dictated piss boring stress inducing supposedly 'high powered' job that I haven't had time to think. Or eat. Or sleep. For three days. Can you either a) make me feel better by telling me its worth it for the money and I'm proving myself and I'm successful or b) tell me it's all a load of shit there's more to life it doesn't mean anything and give me the incentive I need to just quit and go and live in a camper van somewhere in Wales.
Aww, c'mon. How stressful can it it be to write opening paragraphs for trashy romance novels?

However, to be fair this phrase did arouse more than the usual interest:

I have been so rushed of my arse in my head fucking deadline dictated piss boring stress inducing supposedly 'high powered' job that I haven't had time to think.

Ya gotta love this interweb thingy.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:56 AM   #10
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

NBN I assume the trashy romance thing was an allusion to my profile in which I describe myself as a writer, which I am, but it brings me no maaney, so I work as an account exec/copywriter in an ad agency to pay for home/car/food/bottled oxygen (which is 10 times purer than normal oxygen!!!!!). God I hate this job. It doesn't sit well with my 'I like to help the planet and stroke little furry animals' ting.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:12 AM   #11
jaguar
whig

You `re contributing to the polution of our mental environment and a tragedy of the commons, you should feel guilty. Sorry.

Get out, do something that doesn`t make you feel like you need to shower every 10 minutes, your concience will thank you.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #12
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I know. You're right. I'm sorry I whined. Thanks for helping me through it. And bah yourself.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:54 AM   #13
jaguar
whig

anytime
Old 05-27-2004, 09:58 AM   #14
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I don't think you should feel guilty at all unless you are not doing as good a job as you can. Screw the self-rightous, judgemental, idealistic bullshit that some would spew as though they knew anything about the real world and be true to yourself.

There is a lot you need to think about but the first thing I would recommend is taking a long vacation to a faraway place with two goals - 1) relax and clear your mind and 2) decide what you really enjoy and figure out how to do more of it (and what you hate and how to do less of it).

But, before you do anything else, decide if you can live without all the perks that come with the money/presitge or whatever. If you can't then admit it and forget it and get back to work.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:02 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Catwoman
... to pay for home/car/food/bottled oxygen (which is 10 times purer than normal oxygen!!!!!).
If you are hitting the weed hard enough that you have COPD, you need to look at more than just changing your job ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote