The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-07-2002, 02:03 AM   #1
Tobiasly
hot

Palestinian bicyclist

I've been thinking about this news photo for the past couple days. For some reason it was sticking in my head, and I wasn't sure why.

<I>Palestinians run and crawl for cover following an Israeli helicopter attack in Gaza Strip August 5, 2002. Israeli military helicopters fired three missiles at a foundry in Gaza City which the Israeli armed forces said was a Palestinian weapons factory.</I>

It seems like more often than not, pictures of Palestinians in the U.S. media are either flag burnings, groups of kids giving "victory" symbols, body parts scattered in the aftermath of a suicide bombing, etc.

But here's this guy. It looks like he was out for a bike ride in his shorts and sandals, enjoying the evening, when all the sudden he gets blown off his bike and has to seek cover. Now, I'm not taking either side here, although I definitely have my views on the situation in general. I guess this picture just drives home to me how much life must fucking suck for both groups.

This Reuters photo was put out shortly after Griff told us about his birthday ride. And here's Griff's counterpart in Gaza, just out for a joy ride on a nice Monday night. Only while Griff is worrying about whether that neighbor's dog will nip his tires, this guy is worrying about the fucking missile that just exploded a couple hundred yards away.

I guess I don't really have a point to make, just that it really sucks to be some people or groups of people, and it sucks that we can't make all that sucking go away.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:23 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/issue_j...2002/ross.html

Facinating article about someone who was @ the negoiatations. You woudln't expect me to post that one but i foudn it interesting, and it has had an effect on my opinion of Arafat. I'm a little dubious about the ability to rein in militants though.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:47 AM   #3
dave

The suck quotient is extremely high.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:35 PM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

Its a great shot and does stick with you. Its the moment- is he gonna make it? Is he fast enough? Can he find cover? Does he make the correct last minute decision? It reminds me of one of my reoccurring anxiety nightmares- the one where my knees turn to jelly just when I need to scramble.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 02:28 PM   #5
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

He probably made it if the cameraman made it -- and he even stopped to take a shot or two.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:45 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

It night. Israeli choppers are attacking. You are just trying to keep low and get away hidden in the dark. Then some idiot snaps a flash picture of you - so that every chopper pilot can see you. Was this guy pissed?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 06:18 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Great find Tob. Its connections like this that make an unreal situation real.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:30 AM   #8
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/issue_j...2002/ross.html

... I'm a little dubious about the ability to rein in militants though.
A little dubious? That's putting it very mildly. Arafat is a driving force behind those militants effing it up for every sane Palestinian. There surely must be three or four.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:39 AM   #9
jaguar
whig

Quote:
A little dubious? That's putting it very mildly. Arafat is a driving force behind those militants effing it up for every sane Palestinian. There surely must be three or four.
Why do I have the nasty feeling I’m going to put up with far too many of your righteous rants? Personally I’d say blind hatred is the driving force, tends to happen after the lot they've been though. Odd about that. While I don't doubt Arafat is at least complicit in the various attacks whether he could if he wanted to stop them is another matter entirely. Being on the bandwagon is far easier than trying to stop it. Groups like hamas are extremely powerful, they have people in high places throughout the PLO, the support base for many of the attacks is still pretty broad, inclusion growing sections of the security forces he would have to use to attempt to stop it. Between those factions I think if Arafat attempted to stop all paramilitary activity the result would be his own disposition.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:58 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Given their recent proclivity towards summary executions I should think Arafat would know which side his bread is buttered.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:09 PM   #11
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Why do I have the nasty feeling I’m going to put up with far too many of your righteous rants?

If they are right, they will be righteous indeed, O Sophomore. And with that sentence, I know that you are sulking. Understandable -- I've done that sort of thing in the past, and at your age to boot. I am easily twice your age, and it makes my mind tougher, my words and actions more considered. Consequently, I've had a lot of practice at not sulking -- and it does pay off if you work at it.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:30 AM   #12
jaguar
whig

For someone so pretentious you sure are childish.