The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #766
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry about that Limey.
They will not be doing what you did, because you'd bring so much more to the job than they will.

Glad it's not been devastating news; must still be hard to swallow though.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #767
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Damn, that sucks. Sorry limey.
One door closes and all that. You'll get some new gigs and be better off for it.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #768
Griff
still says videotape

whs... chin up
Old 06-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #769
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
My biggest client, representing 60% of my income, has just dispensed with my services. Because they were unsatisfactory, but they've not actually told me that until now.
What a good job that although it was core income, it wasn't my core activity, which I am good at
Time to do some pro-active marketing ... and pull in our expenditure horns a leetle bit.
living within your means is crucial, clearly you already know that. you'll be in good shape in that regard, I'm sure.

as for having the surprise of their opinion of the "unsatisfactory" quality of your work, that's really frustrating.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #770
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sorry Limey.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #771
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Not in this case, Monster. Someone else will be doing what I did, for the same money that I'd have been paid.

Sent by thought transference
they'll regret it
Old 06-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #772
monster
I hear them call the tide

I'm sorry
Old 06-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #773
it
Banned

After 3 days of training - working for this new place - my potential boss says he "needs to think about it" ... On Sunday morning he spoke about it like a "sure thing" where I was meant to go register and do my first paid shift today, on Monday everything was smooth sailing without a hitch, and just as I was on the way he told me not to register yet because he needs time to think about it, and he is taking his sweet sweet time to do just that... Think faster, damn it. I want this job.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #774
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Minifob has a giant knot on the back of his head from a fall on the playground this afternoon. I didn't see it happen, the counselor says his butt took most of the impact, but that seems unlikely given that his butt doesn't hurt and his head looks like Mt. Vesuvius. The bump is a good 3 inches in diameter, at least an inch tall, easily visible from far away. Ice and time didn't reduce the swelling one bit, it might even be getting bigger, so now he's at the ER with Mr. Clod.

It's probably fine. But hemorrhaging in the skull is scary as shit to me, because it's all secret and hidden and just fucking kills you in your sleep with no warning.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #775
glatt

It's probably going to all be just fine. But good to get checked out. You didn't mention a headache or vision problems or anything like that, so it should be fine.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #776
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Just like the thread title says, it was too soon to tell. They sent him home with an ice pack, said they don't do a scan unless there are significant secondary symptoms like vomiting, dizziness, etc. But the nurse practitioner noted that I'm welcome to wake him up in the middle of the night if I want to check. Meh.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #777
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The scalp is one of the most highly vascular areas of the body. When bumped, it swells like crazy. When cut, it bleeds like crazy. That vasculature is also why you lose about 20% of your body heat through your scalp.

The RNNP probably used an ophthalmoscope to do a fundoscopic exam checking for papilledema which would be indicative of increased intracranial pressure. The RNNP may also have also used a sphygmomanometer to check his blood pressure more than once; because, widening pulse pressure (systolic number goes up while the diastolic goes down) is also indicative of increasing intracranial pressure. Had the signs and symptoms indicated it, he would probably already be on medications to reduce inflammation, pressure, and admitted for observation. You can monitor him at home for the symptoms of dizziness, vomiting, etc.

If you're a do it yourselfer, you can keep a drill handy in case the intracranial pressure spikes and you want to drill some bore holes to relieve it. Just be sure to disinfect the drill bits so no one gets an infection. Kids love to watch adults use power tools.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #778
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You should approach trepanation with trepidation.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #779
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I've been unemployed for almost 2 months now. I've had several interviews, but apparently, I haven't quite been able to seal the deal. Just before I lost my job (it was a one-year grant funded gig and the funding wasn't renewed), my car blew up...and we live out in the suburbs.

I'm trying to stay positive, but it's incredibly challenging at times. I try to do a variety of things besides looking for jobs, but being out in the 'burbs sans vehicle makes that a bit of a challenge. Although some days, I can take the Mrs. to work and have the car for the day.

I think the most important thing I've learned this go-round is that so much of who we are can be tied to what we do for a living...and that can be a dangerous thing. I've realized this before, but I'm trying to consciously move away from that. I am so much more than my occupation.

I'm a finalist for a couple of positions...one in St. Louis and one in Chicago. I might actually hear back on them this week. Or maybe another of the 300 gigs I've applied to. I could use some good vibes/prayers/offerings, Dwellars. TIA.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #780
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSicomoro View Post
I could use some good vibes/prayers/offerings, Dwellars. TIA.
This is done.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
philadelphia cream