The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #31
jinx
Come on, cat.

From The Spectator

Quote:
The campaign against Wakefield in the Sunday Times has been led by journalist Brian Deer.

What the Sunday Times did not report was that the GMC investigation into Wakefield was triggered by a complaint from...Brian Deer, who furnished the allegations against him four years ago. He has thus been reporting upon the hearing into his own complaint. Since when has a reputable paper published a story by a reporter who is actually part of that story himself -- without saying so – and who uses information arising from the disciplinary hearing which he himself has instigated and which is investigating allegations he himself made in the first place?
Quote:
Wakefield has issued a detailed refutation of Deer’s allegations
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #32
jinx
Come on, cat.

Vaccines and Autism: The Unending Story (Newsweek)

Quote:
The first question for the court, then, was whether Bailey had Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis, and its answer was yes, based on medical records. It then addressed the question of whether the MMR vaccine can cause ADEM, and here there was precedent: Two previous vaccine cases, in 1994 and 2001, had led to decisions that ADEM can be caused by natural measles, mumps, and rubella infections, as well as by measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines. In Bailey’s case, the court ruled, the MMR had indeed caused his Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis.

For the final step, the court wrestled with whether Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis can cause pervasive developmental delay, and whether it caused Bailey’s. (Just to reiterate, the issue was PDD, not autism. As the court said in its decision, Bailey “more likely than not suffers from PDD, and not from autism.”) Here, the medical literature leaves plaintiffs much more room than does the literature on classical autism. The government argued against the claim that ADEM can cause pervasive developmental delay, of course, acknowledging “that Bailey currently suffers from PDD, and that the MMR vaccine can cause ADEM" but disputing "the biologic plausibility [of] whether ADEM can lead to PDD.”

The government agreed to a lump sum of $750,000, and an annuity that will provide as much as $70,000 to $100,000 a year for Bailey once his parents are not able to care for him.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #33
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIE GERBERDING, DR., CDC DIRECTOR
Well, you know, I don't have all the facts because I still haven't been able to review the case files myself. But my understanding is that the child has a -- what we think is a rare mitochondrial disorder. And children that have this disease, anything that stresses them creates a situation where their cells just can't make enough energy to keep their brains functioning normally. Now, we all know that vaccines can occasionally cause fevers in kids. So if a child was immunized, got a fever, had other complications from the vaccines. And if you're predisposed with the mitochondrial disorder, it can certainly set off some damage. Some of the symptoms can be symptoms that have characteristics of autism.
link

The director of the CDC hasn't been able to review the relevant case files (ie. Hannah Poling)... she must be busy with more important stuff... but still admits that vaccines can cause 'autism-like symptoms'

Last edited by jinx; 03-17-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot the link
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #34
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yes, but only insofar as the vaccine gave them an illness, and they were genetically predisposed to develop this life-altering condition in response to an illness somewhere along the line.

My friend's daughter has Type 1 diabetes. Genetically, she was a ticking time bomb. It was pretty much a guarantee that she was going to get it at some point. It happened that when she was four, she got hand-foot-and-mouth disease, a pretty typical disease as far as kids go, and it triggered the shutdown of her pancreas. But it's entirely possible that a vaccine when she was younger could have triggered it too. Would the vaccine have "caused" her diabetes in that case?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #35
jinx
Come on, cat.

I don't know Clod.
I would think it ethical for the CDC/FDA to know the answer to that before mandating vaccines though...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #36
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I don't know Clod.
I would think it ethical for the CDC/FDA to know the answer to that before mandating vaccines though...
Mandating vaccines stopped epidemics that caused far more serious loss of life, disabilities, etc.

You want to stack up these alleged "vaccine victims" with, say, the number of people paralyzed with Polio since we started recording cases?

Or the number of people that died of smallpox vs the number of people who died from the vaccine (nobody denies the occasional fatality from the vaccine in that case)?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #37
jinx
Come on, cat.

Wow, we went right from screaming MURDERER!! about a researcher who wanted some safety studies done on shit they want to inject into healthy children - to well yeah, they can fuck people up but still....

You don't think no longer shitting where we drink, throwing sewage and garbage into the streets, drinking from the same cup hanging off the water bucket, not bathing ever much less washing the hands, doctors not washing their hands... none of these things made a difference? It was all the vaccines? Antibiotics knocking out secondary infections... nothing?

The polio vaccine being successful means it's all good eh? Whatever comes down the pike is just awesome because no one ends up in an iron lung anymore. 36 injections before age 2 and more in the works because if a little is good, more is better right? Besides, the government would never let anything hurt us.

It amazes me though, the different reactions to "vaccines might cause harm to some people" vs. "you might get the flu".
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Wow, we went right from screaming MURDERER!! about a researcher who wanted some safety studies done on shit they want to inject into healthy children - to well yeah, they can fuck people up but still....
Because only sick kids get polio or measles.

Or words to that effect.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #39
Tiki

Quote:

You don't think no longer shitting where we drink, throwing sewage and garbage into the streets, drinking from the same cup hanging off the water bucket, not bathing ever much less washing the hands, doctors not washing their hands... none of these things made a difference? It was all the vaccines? Antibiotics knocking out secondary infections... nothing?

The polio vaccine being successful means it's all good eh? Whatever comes down the pike is just awesome because no one ends up in an iron lung anymore. 36 injections before age 2 and more in the works because if a little is good, more is better right? Besides, the government would never let anything hurt us.

It amazes me though, the different reactions to "vaccines might cause harm to some people" vs. "you might get the flu".
Do you understand the differences in prevention and treatment between bacterial and viral infections?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #40
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
about a researcher who wanted some safety studies done
But there's a difference between doing safety studies even if they're unpopular, and faking the results of those studies.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #41
jinx
Come on, cat.

A journalist said he faked the results of his study (not a safety study) - none of the other co-authors have said he did or it wouldn't have taken a journalist and 11 years to raise the alarm.... I'll wait for more info before jumping on the MURDER!! bandwagon myself.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #42
Flint
Snowflake

Thx for representin' teh cuckoo bandwagon, tho. We can't have our fist-shaking threads too insular.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #43
Flint
Snowflake

jinx . . . I just called you a cuckoo

Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
jinx
Come on, cat.

I know and I'm planning to kill myself in a few minutes because I am so hurt by your callousness. I hope you're happy now.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
Flint
Snowflake

Right after you kill yourself, do you mind if I have sex with your body while it's still warm?