Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Hahahaha!

http://www.newsweek.com/id/186430

Quote:
Senate votes to preserve earmarks in spending bill

Senate votes to preserve controversial earmarks in 1,000-page plus spending bill

(WASHINGTON) Senate Democrats on Wednesday preserved pet projects sought by a lobbying firm under federal investigation and tried to nail down support for big domestic spending increases in hopes of passing a wrap-up budget bill by week's end. Democrats defeated, by a 52-43 vote, an amendment to strip 13 projects that the PMA Group has pressed for. The firm, now disbanded, is accused of illegally using straw donors to funnel campaign cash to lawmakers.

At the same time, Democrats sought a few GOP votes for the $410 billion bill after two Democrats came out against it over the cost and two more threatened to withhold support over changes in U.S. policy toward Cuba.

Democrats and their allies control 58 seats in the Senate, but 60 votes will be needed to close debate and free the measure so President Barack Obama can sign it. Democrats probably will need votes from perhaps five or six Republicans if the measure is to pass Thursday night or Friday.

Even more funny stuff in the rest of the article, kids!
I really, really hate these bastards.

TGRR,
Will just take a crap in the ballot box next time around.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I was looking into this a little earlier today. This may cross threads, but...

Visclosky's ties to troubled PMA Group run deep

By HENRY C. JACKSON | Associated Press Writer
12:00 AM CST, March 2, 2009

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Rep. Pete Visclosky has always had a reputation for staying above the fray.

That consensus is being challenged by revelations about the northwest Indiana Democrat's ties to a troubled defense lobbying firm.

PMA Group was once one of the biggest lobbying firms in Washington, specializing in securing defense earmarks for its clients. Now, the firm is disintegrating amid a federal investigation into allegations that its founder, Paul Magliochetti, a former top aide to Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., steered donations to lawmakers through sham donors.

PMA Group's top beneficiaries include Murtha, chairman of the House Appropriations subcommittee that funds defense programs, and Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., who also sits on the defense appropriations subcommittee.

But few lawmakers have stronger ties to the firm than Visclosky. His former congressional chief of staff worked as a lobbyist for the firm, and he received at least $100,000 in contributions from donors tied to PMA Group between 2006 and 2008, according to Federal Election Commission reports. PMA Group was the top donor to Visclosky's 2008 re-election campaign.

From his seat on the House Appropriations Committee and its defense funding subcommittee, Visclosky has also reciprocated -- helping to secure more than $23 million in earmarks in 2008 for clients of PMA Group.

"It's pretty clear that Visclosky has deep ties to PMA Group," said Sheila Krumholz, executive president of the Center for Responsive Politics.

"It's also clear that (campaign funds) are being delivered to him on a targeted basis, based on his committee assignments. He's been in a position to help them from his perch," she said.
More info here from NPR.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
sugarpop
Professor

Yea, I'm pretty upset about the earmarks myself. While I know some of them are actually good projects and deserve funding, I'm not sure where they should go. I don't think a project for astronomy research should be in a healthcare bill for example. But maybe putting them in the budget is appropriate? Then they don't have to come up with the money in another bill. I don't know. But ALL defense money should be awarded in contracts that are bid on, not in earmarks.

And I'm confused about this budget. I keep hearing that this isn't Obama's budget but one that was written before he took office, but there are things in there that he wants. I've heard different people speculating that he just wants to pass it so he can get on with business, and he is trying to pick his fights wisely, because he has two very big bills coming up this year, health care reform and energy, which he will need support to pass. What do you think? It seems to make sense to me. He has so much on his plate with this recession.

But I agree with you that companies under investigation should not be awarded new money. That's just crazy. Obama is changing the way defense contractors get money though. He announced it yesterday. http://www.scribd.com/doc/12988730/P...s-March-4-2009
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Yea, I'm pretty upset about the earmarks myself. While I know some of them are actually good projects and deserve funding, I'm not sure where they should go.
I'm thinking any stimulus should be on things that actually improve the business environment...improving our rotten roads and bridges, wiring entire cities for internet access, cheaper/better pollution control technology for heavy industry (there has GOT to be a better way than spray scrubbers and baghouses), refineries, and power plants. Loads and loads of power plants. Preferably nuclear.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
I'm thinking any stimulus should be on things that actually improve the business environment...improving our rotten roads and bridges, wiring entire cities for internet access, cheaper/better pollution control technology for heavy industry (there has GOT to be a better way than spray scrubbers and baghouses), refineries, and power plants. Loads and loads of power plants. Preferably nuclear.
There is - the Cloud Chamber Scrubber.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
There is - the Cloud Chamber Scrubber.
That's actually pretty interesting. Basically a spray scrubber that grabs the little bitty stuff, or a charged scrubber that can grab neutral stuff.

Thanks. I'll take a while later on and read the entire site. Our internal pollution control requirements are a solid bitch, so I'm always interested in new approaches, and our engineers are living somewhere in 1953.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The party of Change!

not.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The party of Change!

not.
The party of another 4 years of the same old shit as the last 4 years.

Strangely enough, the other party has the same name.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

"A Republican stands up in Congress and says, 'I got a really bad idea!' and the Democrat stands up after him and says, 'And I can make it shittier!!!'"
--Lewis Black

Sen. Kit Bond was on our newsradio station yesterday justifying all the pork he brings back here to MO. What a load of shit.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
"A Republican stands up in Congress and says, 'I got a really bad idea!' and the Democrat stands up after him and says, 'And I can make it shittier!!!'"
--Lewis Black

Sen. Kit Bond was on our newsradio station yesterday justifying all the pork he brings back here to MO. What a load of shit.

Coke or Pepsi. Make your choice, pull the lever.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
sugarpop
Professor

What is funny (not haha funny but curious) is that the republicans that are whining loudest about earmarks actually have earmarks in the bill. Well, except for McCain. But 6 of the top 10 earmarks are republican earmarks. Almost half of the earmarks (in money) are from republicans. It's very disingenuous to whine and rant about something which you are guilty of, and make it seem like you are completely innocent. John Kyl, for instance, claims HIS earmarks aren't really earmarks. pffft
Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
What is funny (not haha funny but curious) is that the republicans that are whining loudest about earmarks actually have earmarks in the bill. Well, except for McCain. But 6 of the top 10 earmarks are republican earmarks. Almost half of the earmarks (in money) are from republicans. It's very disingenuous to whine and rant about something which you are guilty of, and make it seem like you are completely innocent. John Kyl, for instance, claims HIS earmarks aren't really earmarks. pffft
John Kyl is scum. But Phoenix and Scottsdale love his ass, because he does his best to make sure poor people suffer as much as possible, so he keeps going back to Washington.

But your point is valid: Both parties are fucking us over with this crap, and both parties are hypocritical as fuck about it.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
sugarpop
Professor

yea, they both say they will change stuff like that when they win an election, and then they never do. Obama really does seem to be keeping his promises though. I suppose time will tell.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

This seems as good a place to put this as any....

Wrong red button

Quote:
GENEVA—After promising to “push the reset button” on relations with Moscow, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton planned to present Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov with a light-hearted gift at their talks here Friday night to symbolize the Obama administration’s desire for a new beginning in the relationship.

It didn’t quite work out as she planned.

She handed him a palm-sized box wrapped with a bow. Lavrov opened it and pulled out the gift—a red plastic button on a black base with a Russian word “peregruzka” printed on top.

“We worked hard to get the right Russian word. Do you think we got it?” Clinton said as reporters, allowed in to observe the first few minutes of the meeting, watched.

“You got it wrong,” Lavrov said, to Clinton’s clear surprise. Instead of "reset," he said the word on the box meant “overcharge.”