The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 12-27-2003, 09:48 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

License plates...and how some states try to tag you

As a kid, I loved seeing all the different license plates. I've seen them from every state except North Dakota as well as 3 Canadian provinces (Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia). I've even seen one on a newer "old" Beetle from the Mexican state of Tlaxcala (near Mexico City).

Did you know that some states will even send you a free or low-cost sample plate? I would love to get my hands on the one that is issued by the Northwest Territories and Nunavut: it's shaped like a polar bear. Very cool. (See the attached photo below.)

From 1979-1997, Missouri had a really boring license plate: it had a maroon background with white lettering, and looked very similar to Arizona's. But this was only for passenger cars...there were various color schemes depending on the type of vehicle you had. For personalized plates for passenger cars, it was a black background with gold lettering (I have it posted around here somewhere...). Your standard pick-up truck got a black plate with white lettering. I think there were like 20 different varieties. In 1997, Missouri finally changed the plate to a more colorful one and made it uniform across all vehicles (except for the specialty plates, for colleges and what not).

Pennsylvania was the first state in the country to have their website address on the license plate...now who the hell is going to write that down while driving? Not to mention, many states are now moving away from the www.state.xx.us addresses.

But I actually started this thread b/c of two issues involving license plates that make some people moving targets.

1. Your county of residence listed on your plate: To my knowledge, this is only used by Tennessee now (Zippyt, can you confirm this?), but I've also seen it used by Ohio and Florida in the past. Let's say that some patrolmen with the Tennessee State Police don't like people from Memphis. So, if your license plate says "Shelby" at the bottom, you're fucked.

2. The back window tag in PA: About 3 or 4 years ago, PennDOT decided to try a pilot program where your license renewal tag would be for your back window instead of your license plate...this was to reduce the theft of the tags off the license plate. And where did they decide to test this program? In Philadelphia...only in Philadelphia County to be specific, which consists only of the City of Philadelphia. A good idea in that tag thefts were apparently a problem here. A bad idea in that Philadelphia has notoriously bad drivers...and the back window tag can make good drivers an easy target for police. Not to mention, the tags fade and fall off your back window. And you're not supposed to tape it back up...PennDOT wants you to pay for a new sticker...greedy bastards! Fortunately, this program is being dropped next month...good thing, b/c my plate is up for renewal in March.

I'm not really sure if there is a point to this thread...I think I just wanted to babble about license plates, county names on license plates and the bullshit here in Philadelphia. That is all.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2003, 11:13 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Kansas uses two-letter county designations on their plates...
Old 12-28-2003, 12:27 AM   #3
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Quote:
1. Your county of residence listed on your plate: To my knowledge, this is only used by Tennessee now (Zippyt, can you confirm this?), but I've also seen it used by Ohio and Florida in the past. Let's say that some patrolmen with the Tennessee State Police don't like people from Memphis. So, if your license plate says "Shelby" at the bottom, you're fucked.
Yeppers , Mississippi does it as well . And YES state troopers and DOT folks WILL stop you and mess with you just because they can. I work on State weigh stations in TN and AR , these guys are all the same , they LOOK for trucks from texas to mess with , "eather illegles or drugs , generly BOTH". The most fun is when they snagg an 18 wheeler full of illegles , they open the back door and there is this MAD dash in EVERY direction , a VERRRRRY Stoogie moment !!!!!

Last edited by zippyt; 12-28-2003 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:27 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wow, Zip. You mean they open the back door on a texas truck without full-auto coverage. Now that's just crazy.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:48 AM   #5
Kofi Annan
Looking for another UN deal to get in on

The new tag tech allows me....er, us to track cars too. So glad you find them appealing.

( all your tags and privacy are belong to us )
Old 12-28-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
The CIA
ever vigilant

Actually, Kofi, it's you that's being watched. There are 2 moles inside your operation. way inside.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't you mean gerbils, way inside?
Old 12-28-2003, 06:43 PM   #8
elSicomoro

Dear Kofi,

Your statement makes about as much sense as Dennis Kucinich saying "I am going to be the next president of the United States."

Regards,

Sycamore
Old 12-28-2003, 07:32 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Kofi Annan
The new tag tech allows me....er, us to track cars too. So glad you find them appealing.

( all your tags and privacy are belong to us )
And people wonder why I won't get an EZPass transponder or OnStar ... (actually I've explained it slowly and carefully to a few frequent Jersey Bridge crossers, and they pretty universally ask, "Why should you worry" to which I respond "Why don't you?" And yes, in this context, "people" include psychiatrists.

You used to be able to spot North Jersey vs. South Jersey based on tag color. North was Black on Cream, and South was Yellow on Blue.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 12-29-2003, 03:24 AM   #10
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

( slang is ingnoring your anti-Kofi statement )
Old 12-29-2003, 09:25 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

And people wonder why I won't get an EZPass transponder or OnStar ...
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:36 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It's not paranoia if they are ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 12-31-2003, 12:46 PM   #13
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
( slang is ingnoring your anti-Kofi statement )
Why? You a big fan of Kofi now?

Next thing you'll tell me is that you're a Democrat and want Hillary to run in '04...
Old 12-31-2003, 12:49 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He'd love to have Hillery run..........somewhere else.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:52 PM   #15
elSicomoro

Nah, I think we caught a Freudian slip here. I bet he's planning on moving to New York state, getting rid of all his guns, registering as a Democrat, and will join the fight for universal health care. And, he'll buy a ton of insurance...car, life, everything.