The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-10-2001, 12:25 PM   #61
markmarion
Fellow-Commoner

Just the same Old Show, on my Radio

On my Sterry erry O this fine Saturday:

Add N to X - Add insult to Injury ( album), Plug me in, and Metal Fingers In My Body ( singles)

Have you SEEN the videos these people make?

Oi Vey!

Also: Soundtrack to Baraka ( AWESOME FILM)
" A challenge, a warning, a gift, a blessing "
A documentary, if one must classify it. Devoid of narration or prescribed comment. Depicting some of the most staggeringly beautiful images of our planet juxtaposed with some staggeringly eye opening images of us as a species, shot on 70mm film by some AWESOME cameramen and directors, and accompanied by the sounds of the earth, and the music of people of the earth.

Get the DVD, get the soundtrack. You WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED!

"Ghost in the machine" Kenji Kawai ( another soundtrack CD, another GREAT film, if you like Animé)

"Mix tape Vol1" by DJ Yoda - HilARIOUS UK Scrath DJ

"Solid Air" John Martyn - mellow US 70's foppishness

"Pink Moon" Nick Drake - mellow UK 70's foppishness

"Hard Hands" Ray Barretto - Try in vain to avoid dancing

"Gold against the Soul" Manic Street Preachers - Frenzied

"Dub gone crazy" King Tubby - Cool dub reggae

MM

Last edited by markmarion; 11-10-2001 at 12:28 PM.
markmarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 12:33 PM   #62
dave

saw dm in july as well... that was a pretty good song...

the ending to personal jesus far surpasses the ending to enjoy the silence... think about it... personal jesus *could* have ended worse... enjoy the silence takes the cake for "fucking sucky ending"... observe:

enjoy the silence ending: "enjoy the siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilence"

now. imagine if personal jesus had ended like this: "personal jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus"

see?

"sweetest perfeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeection"

ugh. that's the worst ending on a song EVER. notice how they didn't do that when they played it live in july? notice how it's off the end of ets on the best of cd?
Old 11-10-2001, 03:21 PM   #63
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"Pink Moon" was used in a US ad for VWs recently, and extremely effectively I think. It caused sales of the album to suddenly go top 10 on Amazon, unless I'm, you know, wrong.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:29 PM   #64
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Just the same Old Show, on my Radio

Quote:
Originally posted by markmarion
On my Sterry erry O this fine Saturday:

Add N to X - Add insult to Injury ( album), Plug me in, and Metal Fingers In My Body ( singles)

Have you SEEN the videos these people make?
Never seen their videos, but I own "On the Wires of Our Nerves." There is another person here on the list who is a fan of them...damn if I can't remember who right now.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 09:48 PM   #65
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
saw dm in july as well... that was a pretty good song...
At Meriweather? We considered going to that show, but didn't have the extra cash. Rho was skeptical of going there in the first place due to the poor acoustics at Meriweather.

Quote:
the ending to personal jesus far surpasses the ending to enjoy the silence... think about it... personal jesus *could* have ended worse... enjoy the silence takes the cake for "fucking sucky ending"... observe:

enjoy the silence ending: "enjoy the siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilence"
Oh, that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to the instrumental pieces at the end of each song. I like the "single" ending of "Personal Jesus" better than the album version. But I like the spooky voices at the end of the album version of "ETS."

Quote:
ugh. that's the worst ending on a song EVER. notice how they didn't do that when they played it live in july? notice how it's off the end of ets on the best of cd?
Well, yeah, b/c the single version of "ETS" just did the fade. Generally, I tend to prefer the album versions of their singles (e.g. "Strangelove," "Useless"), but for some reason, the single versions of the Violator singles were better...with the exception of "World in My Eyes." The album version is great. (Although the remixes on the single are great as well.)
Old 11-10-2001, 10:22 PM   #66
elSicomoro

I've been in a depeche "mood" this weekend...

Music for the Masses: Fucking brilliant. Enough said.

Songs of Faith and Devotion Live: I love this album, but when I watch the "Devotional" video and see Dave all strung out looking like hell, I'm amazed that he was still able to sing so well.

"Personal Jesus" single: The acoustic version of this is brilliant..."Dangerous" is a great b-side as well.

"World in My Eyes" single: For some reason, the "Oil Tank Mix" reminds me of playing Sonic 2 on Genesis. Strange...

"Walking in My Shoes" single: This is the last DM single I can remember getting extensive radio airplay. The remixes on this one are great (particularly the "Grungy Gonads Mix" and the "Ambient Whale Mix"). "My Joy" is another fine b-side...shit, DM could make a double-CD of their b-sides alone.

"Little 15" single: Originally only released as a single in France. One of my favorite DM songs. The instrumentals on this one are also brilliant--"Stjarna" (Swedish for "star") and Alan Wilder's version of "Moonlight Sonata." Or as my mother used to call it, "That damned funeral dirge."

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-10-2001 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:35 PM   #67
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oldies night once again. Tonight it's Supertramp, various stuff downloaded. A lot of their stuff, looking back, is just goofy. And then some of it really works.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 08:00 AM   #68
dave

yeah, merriweather. it's not a great place to go see a show... but hey man, depeche mode... saw nails there too... still sounded great... and moby... he was fuggen LOUD...

let's see... pearl jam "vitalogy" playing on the computer cd-rom right now... hehe... "satan's bed"
Old 11-13-2001, 10:46 PM   #69
warch
lurkin old school

I actually have been digging into very 80s, dusty old vinyl. Elvis Costello- Imperial Bedroom. Took me by surprise how much I liked hearing this forgotten album. Human Hands is just a great song. I ditched alot of records as I was moving often and they are wicked heavy. Some I just couldnt toss, scratches and all. Sentimental fool.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 12:10 AM   #70
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Lightbulb OK..Goofy Song Alert...

Group was 'Art Phag' - Song was - 'I wanna play golf, Bitch!' ... a sick sort of funny song...

I've got to dig that one up.

Not really a quality tune and the lp cover was hand decorated (desecrated).

Its the definition of 'Free Expression - but why that?'

Now If Radio Shack only had needles to fit my Optimus Prime (TM) turn table.

Cheers....
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 08:28 PM   #71
elSicomoro

Another weekend, more CDs to play

Jamiroquai: A Funk Odyssey--Wearing the shit out of this CD...it's great!

Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power--Pantera was one of the few bands that survived the 1992 Death of Heavy Metal...no pretentiousness, no make up, just smack-the-shit-out-of-you riffs and vocals that are half-singable, but more like screaming at you.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:54 AM   #72
dave

the biggest problem with pantera is that phil anselmo is a fucking drunk. i'll agree that VDOP is a great album, but that's the last really good one i've heard from them. furthermore, phil SUCKED live when i saw them last year. he fucking mumbled through the songs and talked shit the whole time.

"IN TURNNNNNN... YRMAKINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSS... FUGGINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNHSTYLE"

ugh. the band was great, but he fucking SUCKED. i felt thoroughly cheated.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:35 AM   #73
elSicomoro

Quote:
the biggest problem with pantera is that phil anselmo is a fucking drunk. i'll agree that VDOP is a great album, but that's the last really good one i've heard from them. furthermore, phil SUCKED live when i saw them last year. he fucking mumbled through the songs and talked shit the whole time.
Now THAT wouldn't surprise me. But you wouldn't catch me at a Pantera show to save my soul.

But I disagree on their album collection. Far Beyond Driven and The Great Southern Trendkill are excellent albums, especially the latter (which is probably my favorite). I don't own Reinventing the Steel, but from what I've heard, it doesn't sound bad.

There's a hard rock-metal station in Springfield, Illinois--WQLZ (92.1 FM I believe). When I used to drive between St. Louis and Chicago, it would be the buffer station between the two cities. (I would listen to it after the Point in St. Louis faded and before I could pick up Q101 from Chicago.) And on two particular instances, they played songs that a) I never thought I'd hear on the radio and b) That are just great metal songs. One time it was Metallica's "The Thing that Should Not Be." The second time was Pantera's "Cemetary Gates." Nothing like driving through the hell that is central Illinois, smoking cigarettes, drinking Dr. Pepper, and banging my head like it's 1990.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:45 AM   #74
dave

Don't get me wrong - they're decent albums. But, I find VDOP to be better. Maybe that's just me. "Hollow" is a great way to end an album. Overall, I just find it to be a more satisfying CD. I think I still have the tape of it I bought when I was 10. Hehe.

When I said it was the last really good one I've heard from them, what I meant was this: they have failed to really do anything new. It's not that the songs sound the same necessarily - I can easily distinguish them. But it's like "Okay, let's do a metal song!" and that's all. Maybe I expected more. I also think the quality of the songs has gone down since VDOP. Just not quite up to par with CFH and VDOP. Maybe that's just me though.

As for seeing them live... it's even worse than Metallica! Imagine a bunch of DRUNK, SUNBURNED, SHIRTLESS SWEATY REDNECKS. But I dig the music, so I go anyway. Imagine me, standing in khakis and a button-up plaid shirt with Doc Martens and 2 3/4 feet of hair, in the middle of this crowd. I don't fit. And I'll probably never go see Pantera again, just 'cause I can't assume that Phil will actually put on a decent show for the people that pay him. Ugh. Like I said, thoroughly disappointed.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:05 PM   #75
elSicomoro

Quote:
When I said it was the last really good one I've heard from them, what I meant was this: they have failed to really do anything new. It's not that the songs sound the same necessarily - I can easily distinguish them. But it's like "Okay, let's do a metal song!" and that's all. Maybe I expected more. I also think the quality of the songs has gone down since VDOP. Just not quite up to par with CFH and VDOP. Maybe that's just me though.
I can't agree with that. TGST was a departure compared to their first 3 albums. It had more melody...and you could actually UNDERSTAND what Phil was saying! Trying to understand what Phil was saying is like trying to decipher what Al Jourgensen is singing on a Ministry album.

I love CFH, but to be honest, that's probably my least favorite Pantera record. It could be b/c the production could have been better on it--too much of a glaze. I like Terry Date as a producer, but that first album...I dunno.

You can't deny though dham that "Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills" is one of the most fucked up songs ever. Heh...