The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-12-2001, 09:05 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This image shows the dark side of the Moon (insert floyd reference of your choice here). It's a long exposure shot, which explains why the crescent is so bright. But what's being studied is the dark part.

Turns out that the dark side is illuminated by the Earth, reflecting the sun's rays. Looking at that dark area, scientists have found that its darkness varies up to 20% according to season. They've also found that it's dimmer. A brighter dark side indicates a more reflective Earth, which indicates a cooler Earth.

For the last five years the "Earth shine" is down 2.5% which indicates a warmer earth. Global warming? Maybe, but also Sun activity; during the same period, magnetic activity from the Sun has increased from its minimum to its maximum.

But you may want to take all of this with a grain of salt after looking at this bonus image:

This is an actual shot of the Earth and the Moon taken from Odyssey, a spacecraft on its way to Mars. On its way, it is apparently taking pictures of what it's leaving. Odyssey will arrive at Mars on October 24.

Although they say the Moon looks a little smaller than it should, due to some sort of element of photography, I still find the scale surprising.

The dark spot at the bottom of earth is Antarctica.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 11:10 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

They are saying that Mars will be at its most visible in 10 years tonight, as Mars, the moon, and Earth will all be aligned (?). They said to look for it in the constellation Scorpius, in the southeastern sky.

I think I remember all that correctly. ;-)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 06:21 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I forgot to add. From the Odyssey's photograph, the words "Earth" and "Moon" were added later.

Heh heh
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 08:13 AM   #4
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

If this was any other place but the Cellar, someone WOULD have conme along believing those were giant floating signs there.

~Mike
Old 06-18-2001, 04:20 PM   #5
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

There are signs. It's a government conspiracy involving the Kennedys, marijuana legislation/cotton farmers, and an incredibly large number of Twinkies. Email me for details

Steve

Old 06-26-2001, 03:34 PM   #6
zeolite
Fellow-Commoner

"Turns out that the dark side is illuminated by the Earth, reflecting the sun's rays. "

I don't get it.

Isn't the dark side of the Moon the side facing away from us. At all times. The rotation of the Earth and the orbit of the Moon are synchronous so the dark side should never see any reflected light from Earth. Or is the dark side just reflecting the sun? I'm not sure how you read any data about Earth from studying the dark side of the Moon.
zeolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 08:46 AM   #7
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by zeolite
"Turns out that the dark side is illuminated by the Earth, reflecting the sun's rays. "

I don't get it.

Isn't the dark side of the Moon the side facing away from us. At all times. The rotation of the Earth and the orbit of the Moon are synchronous so the dark side should never see any reflected light from Earth. Or is the dark side just reflecting the sun? I'm not sure how you read any data about Earth from studying the dark side of the Moon.
The dark side of the moon is the side facing away from the sun. The far side of the moon is the side facing away from us.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 11:52 AM   #8
zeolite
Fellow-Commoner

Duh. Now I get it. Typical earth-centric mentality. I just couldn't get the right picture in my mind. Thanks.
zeolite is offline   Reply With Quote