The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
Cam
dripping with ignorance

SQL Book

I'm looking for a good book on SQL, anyone have any recommendations. I'm looking for something in depth, I don't want a lot of hand holding, just show me the commands and a piece of code they are used in and I'm happy.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
jaguar
whig

Good refs are all DB-Specific. The O'Rielly MySQL reference is always at my side. If you know your shit I recommend the Pocket Book series O'Rielly does, pocket sized references of all the commands, syntax, operators etc.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Cam
dripping with ignorance

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm just starting to use SQL in one of my classes so I'm basically a beginner, but I catch on to programming languages pretty quickly, and get annoyed rather quickly with handholding in beginning programming books I've read.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Re: SQL Book

What context will you be using it in? Oracle, Sybase, MS Access, something else? I suggest getting a book that describes it in the context of the system within which you will be deploying it. I'd just go to the local bookstore and poke through the shelves till you found a couple that seem worthy then review and choose one.

The public library might have some stuff too. And its free.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
jaguar
whig

Good advice from beestie but Public Library refs are usually hopelessly out of date. Nothing could be worse.

If O'Rielly produces a ref for your DB platform I reccomend it. They are references, not 'for dummies' books and often written or co-written by the authors of the programs in question. They tend to be accessiable without skimping on technical details. Fantastic references.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I still have my "Database Systems" book from college. Since it is DBMS independent, I can tell when I'm using DBMS specific syntax. This is often good to know.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
Telefunken
Going for the DX

I have "Database Design for Mere Mortals" which I like.
Telefunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:56 PM   #8
mbpark
Lecturer

Hi, I'm a DBA

I work with databases a lot.

Any book by Joe Celko can help you out, as he is the man when it comes to SQL books. www.celko.com.

He also knows how to break down SQL for all the different platforms, not just for Oracle, SQL Server, Access, or mySQL.

Failing that, I recommend the O'Reilly books on SQL.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:44 PM   #9
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Hey thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow. Found out I have a test in the class next thursday. I think I have a handle on it, but today my professor throws out two commands that are not in our book, and doesn't bother explaining exactly what they do. Can't remember them off the top of my head right now though??
Old 03-31-2004, 12:37 AM   #10
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

One free, handy reference can be found online.... for basic stuff, www.sqlcourse.com, and for more in-depth stuff, there's www.sqlcourse2.com. There's also an SQL interpreter on the page, so you can try out the commands yourself pretty easily. It mostly covers cross-platform SQL, not so much DB-specific commands.

Why buy a $50 technical manual which rapidly becomes obsolete, when you have access to gobs of webpages full of constantly updated information? I know, I prefer pulp myself, despite the fact that it's an irrational preference when it comes to computer technical manuals, and I have to fight it constantly.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:43 AM   #11
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I'm a firm believer in the need for paper, especially when doing coding of any sort. I can't stand switching back and forth between applications to find information when I'm in the middle of writing something. Why I couldn't tell you.

Hmm maybe this is the excuse I've been looking for to invest in dual displays. Of course that requires having SQL on my home computer so that doesn't work.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:42 AM   #12
jaguar
whig

For a while I had 3 17" 1280x1024 Samsung LCDs, god that was heaven. Keep your general apps on one (IM, email etc), documentation, information etc on another and you're main focus on the middle one, was fantastic. Of course I now virtually live in plane seats so I'm on a single 12" again.

Whenever I actually stay somewhere I'm going to invest in another setup like that. Maybe a main 20" and 2 17".
Old 03-31-2004, 01:55 PM   #13
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Yes, multiple displays kick many varieties of ass. I use dual monitors at work and at home, and I feel crippled if I have to use a computer that only has one display. This sort of thing is what I frequently end up using the second monitor for... displaying documentation. Even if you just pick up a cheap 15" or 17" somewhere as the secondary display, it's an improvement.

I too prefer a paper book, but I don't know why.... web-based is so much better... free, up-to-date, searchable, copy-and-pastable... of course eye strain is a factor when a lot of reading is involved.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:27 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

These days can Win2k manage multiple video cards in the same box without trouble? I mean, can you leave that documentation on your secondary monitor while you go off and play something direct X on the primary monitor?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:43 PM   #15
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
These days can Win2k manage multiple video cards in the same box without trouble? I mean, can you leave that documentation on your secondary monitor while you go off and play something direct X on the primary monitor?
I've found that it depends on the game. At first I'd always have to disable the secondary display to play full-screen games, which was annoying. Starcraft was one such game, and I I didn't disable monitor 2, the mouse cursor would still wander into that space, and if I inadvertently clicked on the desktop, it would minimize the game. GTA3 had a similar problem.

But on most newer games, I can leave it on without any trouble.