The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

Fine Again

It seems like every day’s the same
and I’m left to discover on my own
It seems like everything is gray
and there’s no color to behold
They say it’s over and I’m fine again, yeah
Try to stay sober feels like I’m dying here

And I am aware now of how
everything’s gonna be fine one day
Too late, I’m in hell I am prepared now,
seems everyone’s gonna be fine
One day too late, just as well

I feel the dream in me expire
and there’s no one left to blame it on
I hear you label me a liar
‘cause I can’t seem to get this through
You say it’s over, I can sigh again, yeah
Why try to stay sober when I’m dying here

And I am aware now of how
Too late, I’m in hell
I am prepared now,
One day too late; just as well

And I’m not scared now.
I must assure you,
you’re never gonna get away
And I’m not scared now.
And I’m not scared now. No…

I am aware now of how
Too late, I’m in hell
I am prepared now
One day too late, just as well
I am prepared now,
seems everything’s gonna be fine for me
For me; for myself.
For me, for me, for myself
For me, for me, for myself

I am prepared now for myself
I am prepared now and I am fine... again
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
If'n it's not too late, I suggest ...

Don't indulge in the "last drink" attitude. You're making a break, make it clean. Don't be dragged reluctantly into your healthier future, walk boldly into it and embrace it.

If you want to do something dramatic, go (with a friend/witness) to a bar, order a glass of whatever, then look the drink square in the eye and pour it down the sink.

"I will NOT drink you! You have no power over me. IT ENDS HERE! "

Then tap your heels together three times and say "I want to go home with David Tennant".

That ought to do it.
What's this I hear? Zengum wouldn't make a recommendation on what to drink for a dwellar with ETOH issues! He refuses to be an enabler? We may have to reconsider him as Cellar material. He may be too good for people here.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I'd love to hear your choice, if you had to make it.
None of us were suggesting Sundae drink anything; we were responding to her question as to what we might choose as a last drink. You may think that's enabling, sexobon. I don't agree.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

...along the "averson therapy" route you could try these two dissolved in a jigger of tomato juice and cod liver oil.

The vomit flavor strikes me as one of the more effective selections.
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
None of us were suggesting Sundae drink anything; we were responding to her question as to what we might choose as a last drink. You may think that's enabling, sexobon. I don't agree.
What's that sound a duck makes?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #21
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well, what if Sundae had just started a thread saying, "If you had to choose your last drink, what would it be?", without the back story, then would it be enabling? I'm not sure why you're taking a hard line on this sexo. To me this thread was about how Sundae has come to the end of the road as far as booze goes and how she's had her last drink.

I congratulate her on taking the advice of the docs and giving it away. It will be so good for her in so many ways.

I don't think it's necessary to beat down a vulnerable person, and believe me, I'm sure that's how Sundae would view your comments when she sees them.

Couldn't you just hop off your moral high horse and say your last drink would be water or something else non alcoholic, just to stick with the spirit of kindness maybe?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #22
sexobon

You missed the point. There's no guaranty that it would be the last drink, just the next drink. This is an appropriate perspective on anyone with a Hx of ETOH abuse. There's no shortage of those who have had their "last drink" multiple times before. I prefer to keep them alive by keeping it real rather than killing them with kindness.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #23
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
You missed the point. There's no guaranty that it would be the last drink, just the next drink. This is an appropriate perspective on anyone with a Hx of ETOH abuse. There's no shortage of those who have had their "last drink" multiple times before. I prefer to keep them alive by keeping it real rather than killing them with kindness.
You're missing a major point: you can't 'keep them alive', whether by 'keeping it real' or in any other way. The only person who can keep Sundae alive is Sundae. She's the one who has control over quitting. You delude yourself if you think that other people commenting on what they might drink (not advising or encouraging her to drink) will make a difference. Is foot's thread about his beer-making enabling for those on the board who have issues with alcohol? What about the 'what are you drinking tonight' thread?

The individual with the issue is the only one who knows what triggers him or her. Avoidance of triggers is key, sure. But in this thread, nobody advised anyone else to drink. No one asked for advice.

I agree with Aliantha; I'm glad to hear from Sundae that she's intending to stop drinking because she does have issues with it and her health is in jeopardy. She's on a good road with the changes she's made, and I wish her all the best and hope her health improves.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #24
sexobon

Quote:
You're missing a major point: you can't 'keep them alive', whether by 'keeping it real' or in any other way. The only person who can keep Sundae alive is Sundae. She's the one who has control over quitting.
I see that if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, you'll try to baffle 'em with bullshit. According to this, no one can influence another person's decisions in such matters which means support people are useless. If those in Sundae's situation have control over quitting, why do so many of them end up dead?

Quote:
... You delude yourself if you think that other people commenting on what they might drink (not advising or encouraging her to drink) will make a difference. Is foot's thread about his beer-making enabling for those on the board who have issues with alcohol? What about the 'what are you drinking tonight' thread?
It's all in knowing the Hx and understanding the pertinence of context. You don't.

Quote:
... The individual with the issue is the only one who knows what triggers him or her. Avoidance of triggers is key, sure. But in this thread, nobody advised anyone else to drink. No one asked for advice.
Quote:
... Going to have my last drink tomorrow. ... What decision am I asking for help with? I'm not really. ... I want something chococlate-y. Cocktail-y. Thick. Yumyum. I will let you kow. ... If'n I make it through the next two days (!) I'd love to hrear your choice, if you had to make it.
You're simply not astute enough to recognize elicitation. Denying asking for help was key. No other reason for it.

Quote:
... I agree with Aliantha; I'm glad to hear from Sundae that she's intending to stop drinking because she does have issues with it and her health is in jeopardy. She's on a good road with the changes she's made, and I wish her all the best and hope her health improves.
Zengum did it better.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #25
Aliantha

Zengum always does it better. He's a bloke.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You know what Sexo, I've been talking about losing weight for years.
Finally got my arse in gear and have lost it.

I wasn't asking for opinions on what to drink. I wanted to know what people would have if they could never drink again. Like last meal on Death Row..

So I stopped smoking. I stopped over-eating. I will stop drinking or die.
I think you are reading too much into my post.
But even if you are just analysing it too much, it's not really helpful. If I am teh fail anyway, then your perspective isn't going to help.

Opinion? Entitled.
Sort my life out? Up to me.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #27
Aliantha

Not to enter into any 'woohoo go girl' bullshit, but the fact that you've responded here demonstrates how much your mindset has changed Sundae. To me anyway. It's a nice thing to see. I'm glad.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #28
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
You know what Sexo, I've been talking about losing weight for years.
Finally got my arse in gear and have lost it.

I wasn't asking for opinions on what to drink. I wanted to know what people would have if they could never drink again. Like last meal on Death Row..

So I stopped smoking. I stopped over-eating. I will stop drinking or die.
I think you are reading too much into my post.
But even if you are just analysing it too much, it's not really helpful. If I am teh fail anyway, then your perspective isn't going to help.

Opinion? Entitled.
Sort my life out? Up to me.

Well said.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #29
Griff
still says videotape

I think folks are jumping on sexo because people are used to jumping on him. He is saying what zen said.

For me personally, it is better that my last drink was vomited all over the bathroom rather than a pleasant little cocktail, disguising what is for me poison. I think its a big mistake to go along with society and give magical qualities to a killer. I'm not a counter but looking at alcohol harshly has gotten me 5 years (?) sober.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
orthodoc

Looking back over the thread, I agree that I was wrong to respond as I did in my initial post, even though no harm was meant. If you're quitting, it's best for your last drink to have been your last drink. Best to regard it as poison if it's poison for you.

And yes, of course there is a place for support - but ultimately it is the individual's sustained decision that determines the outcome. No one else can do it for you.

And I am currently undeniably obtuse and foggy-brained and will refrain from further arguments.