The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-06-2006, 06:47 AM   #31
Scazrelet

I have always prefered spirituality and faith, personal decisions, over "religion" spirituality tends to give knowledge of self, religion you often just do what people tell you :\ No offense meant to anyone, there are always exceptions.

I used to be something that could be thrown into the general area of pagan, but I didn't practice any rituals much, though I did have an area (not really an altar) that I kept my accoutrements in that perhaps carried more "energy" than anywhere else. From my understanding, to put it in a very base, crude way, if You Are Everything, entwined and inseparable, then you should, in theory, have some control over your enviroment. That is, if you were able to actually believe you did, get over the hurdle of self doubt. Thats where ritual comes in, to make you actually believe and put faith and personal energy into what you are doing and desiring, if you as a person found that sort of thing helpful as an individual. Its all a bit of mind over matter. Your personal will, and I guess the "will" of the universe? Anyway, I had a giant breakdown of faith not too long ago so now I have no idea what in hell (or anywhere else) I believe, or is real etc etc
Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #32
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

We had an awesome coven ritual last night. We each worked with a specific God, with the goal of improving our connection and the attributes associated with Him. I chose Pan. Any guesses as to what *I'm* working on?

I made a burnt offering of vodka and a picture of frolicking wood nymphs.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #33
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scazrelet
I have always prefered spirituality and faith, personal decisions, over "religion" spirituality tends to give knowledge of self, religion you often just do what people tell you :\ No offense meant to anyone, there are always exceptions.

I used to be something that could be thrown into the general area of pagan, but I didn't practice any rituals much, though I did have an area (not really an altar) that I kept my accoutrements in that perhaps carried more "energy" than anywhere else. From my understanding, to put it in a very base, crude way, if You Are Everything, entwined and inseparable, then you should, in theory, have some control over your enviroment. That is, if you were able to actually believe you did, get over the hurdle of self doubt. Thats where ritual comes in, to make you actually believe and put faith and personal energy into what you are doing and desiring, if you as a person found that sort of thing helpful as an individual. Its all a bit of mind over matter. Your personal will, and I guess the "will" of the universe? Anyway, I had a giant breakdown of faith not too long ago so now I have no idea what in hell (or anywhere else) I believe, or is real etc etc

You are a truth seeker. How poignant your words. My heart aches for you. Guard yourself well.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
A friend of mine is sort of a non-denominational Pagan (okay, more of a new ager, but she is studying under a Celtic Shaman, but doesn't do much work within that particular path), and also loves Mary. She put in a Mary statue at her summer cabin site.
Mary was always too humble for me. I allied myself with Artemis when I was a teen.... sex kinda got in the way of that though So I identified with Bast instead. (Then I lost all faith in anything, but I still love mythology)