The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #121
rkzenrage

With the pain, it is very hard to read now. My concentration is not what it used to be.
Bad spasms yesterday, tore up some muscle. Sucks, it is really beautiful out now and my son is at the park with my wife.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #122
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Still listening rk. Still sending you whatever good vibes I can. Are audio books an option, or has this been discussed before?
Old 10-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #123
rkzenrage

I do some, but can't afford or am annoyed by most of the audio book clubs. So, my selections are limited. They are really pricey around here.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:58 AM   #124
limey

I googled online audio books and got, amongst others http://www.audiobooks.org/... which claims to offer free online audiobooks, plus a number of other paid sites .... Hope this helps (or maybe I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs?).
All the best
Old 10-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #125
rkzenrage

They are not all free, some are good, checked them out over a year ago. Thanks a lot for the heads-up though.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #126
rkzenrage

Ok, I can walk with some help, a cane or walker, for short distances. So, sometimes, I go to a store or my local tobacco lounge without my chair.
Yesterday I went out to a couple of places after leaving my chair at home; I was having a “good day”… I am not now.
The last couple of tests I have gotten back from my Dr. for some of my conditions have not been good. I am getting worse and know it, but have not been acting like it.
The days of going out, or even doing much around here, out of the chair are over.
I knew this day was coming, we have talked about it, my Drs. and I, my wife and I, my parents and I… why do I feel so numb?
I’m not really upset, not in disbelief, but it is all happening much faster than I thought… all of it.
I guess this means I have to deal with other aspects of my illness, things I normally don’t deal with… I’m not sure.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #127
limey

I suppose you feel numb because imagining it, and talking about it, is not the same as having to live it?
I wish you ample fortitude and humour, and the continued love and support of your family and friends, to help you through.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #128
rkzenrage

The amount of pain I'm dealing with from it, I'm sure has a lot to do with it.
I'll deal, just like I always have, I'm sure.
Thanks Limey, for your kindness and support.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 PM   #129
Scazrelet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
On-Line pain groups tend to be populated by women with borderline personality disorder and fibromyalgia. They are worse in person.
Hey, I have fibromyalgia, as does my mother, be nice.

Its sad... it seems people for the most part (not this forum, mind) only focus on the physical aspects of a disability, and not the mental issues it can cause... they just don't understand. They also think drugs are somehow miraculous cure alls with no side effects o_O.

My pain is not bad at all (yet) but I can still feel for you, rkzenrage. I worry sometimes about how bad mine will get, but I can't imagine being in a situation like yours.
So you need to be strong for the people who aren't as bad, ok? That way, they know they can make it too. Be an inspiration, I suppose. You know, you could also try to start your own group, find people with similar problems. They might feel just as isolated as you. I guess, though, my only real good advice sounds cheeseball: life is what you make of it. You are going to hurt no matter what you do, it seems, so make the most of it, choose to live a solid, good life and not let the pain control you. Best of luck, and I mean it.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #130
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

It's not only the physical pain that can be harmful but the effect being in pain has on the mind.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #131
rkzenrage

I have not problem, personally, with those with fibro, they just shun me.
They just like to bitch, constantly, about how others don't believe they are sick. Since I don't have that problem, I guess they could care less about all else we have in common. It has happened at every pain group that was a fibro, exhausted disease, in disguise.
The same happens with SCI groups. Since I was born with my problem, I don't spend a lot of time complaining about "the good ol' days", "what if", "why" or any other fixation on the fact that I am sick and I can do nothing about it.... though I have had spinal injuries and they have contributed to my condition and being in the chair.
I complain some, kinda' why this thread is here. But, I also want to talk about chair accessories, canes, cooking, stem cell research, ADA improvements and how we can lobby/get better representation, etc, etc, etc.
Just sitting around and dwelling on being sick and what put you there is really counter-productive. I thought these were support groups?

The pain does do a lot to my concentration, mood, etc... but it has physical manifestations as well.

BTW, my wrist is probably broken, it is certainly badly sprained and I have six kidney stones... happy Halloween.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #132
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you have a sword cane? Might be just the ticket for prodding assholes.

I know you said you won't be going out without the chair anymore, but there might be occasions where you are just going to one place and can get comfortable there, then home.
My Mom had trouble with her cane when she started using it full time. She didn't know what to do with it in a restaurant or where ever she was going. Hanging it on the chair back, people would knock it off going by and anywhere else, they can trip over it.
I got her a sectional cane with an elastic cord up the middle. It's called a collapsible cane but that name makes me nervous. She could fold it up and put it out of the way, but still handy. Unlike hinged canes, this has tubular sections and the elastic cord just keeps all the sections in one place when you break it down...very strong and stable.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #133
rkzenrage

No, I do not have one. Most of them are not practical... the one I want is very expensive. I just like it... when I feel I may need something like that, I conceal carry.
I always have a cane for bathrooms that don't fit my chair.
I am patenting a cane holder for wheelchairs. I have a lawyer doing a pre-patent search for it now.
I have a collapsible cane in my car, for just-in-case... thanks so much for your concern and thinking this through for me.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #134
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Who cares how much the medical insurance pays for that medical appliance.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #135
rkzenrage

No shit... if only!
Is that not a thing of beauty?

I love knives, especially big ones. I think they are beautiful art... funny though, the ones I like to carry are the little Case knives. Plenty for a pocket knife.