The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Things you hate that you say

I've noticed that ever since I moved to Ohio, I end half my sentences in prepositions when speaking.. and it bugs the crap out of me.
of course I guess that's better than my previous Tennessee lingo.. "You done yur homework yet?" "Fixin to!"

What parts of your regional dialect do you despise?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

split infinitives.

"to boldly go where no man has gone before"

all that.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Dialect

It's a love/hate thing for me. Regionalisms are cool in a purely anthropological way, but Southern talk has always irked me. Waiting "on" somebody rather than "for" them. One "mashes" an elevator button here. Then they torture place names: Albany is pronounced All-binny, etc.

But what I hate most is when people tell me to "Have a blessed day."
Old 06-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

You could just respond with, "Yeah, I hope you get some nookie, too." How much more blessed can you be in one day?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Pangloss62
Lecturer

God I miss nookie. Onanism is just not the same.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I'm from Pittsburgh, enough said.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Quote:
I end half my sentences in prepositions when speaking
I see where you're at. My father told me some British language expert says it's ok to use that "at" construction, but it sure sounds stupid to me.

Be careful.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The 80's in me still makes me sometimes say "totally." I totally hate when I do that.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
Pie
Gone and done

Apparently, I acquire a strong Indian accent when I speak with my grandmother.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I probably have bad grammer too, but what I really hate is all the swear words that I say. I just can't seem to clean up my potty mouth. Luckily, my daughter hasn't picked up too much, and has only said a few, but it's still a bad habit.

heh, the other day we were playing outside and she said "it's frickin' hot out here!" At least it wasn't the real F word...I have no one to blame but myself.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #11
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
I've noticed that ever since I moved to Ohio, I end half my sentences in prepositions when speaking.. and it bugs the crap out of me.
of course I guess that's better than my previous Tennessee lingo.. "You done yur homework yet?" "Fixin to!"

What parts of your regional dialect do you despise?
Just don't start saying "N-that" or I'll start having to hate you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
The 80's in me still makes me sometimes say "totally." I totally hate when I do that.
Has taken me a while to get rid of "like" even with years of theatre and dialect training. It was more deeply ingrained than my southern dialect, which I allowed back for my daily speech.
I didn't say it a lot, but hated it and became very aware of it when my training started... so when I did say it, it was glaring for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss62
It's a love/hate thing for me. Regionalisms are cool in a purely anthropological way, but Southern talk has always irked me. Waiting "on" somebody rather than "for" them. One "mashes" an elevator button here. Then they torture place names: Albany is pronounced All-binny, etc.

But what I hate most is when people tell me to "Have a blessed day."
I used to work on the phone, up to sixty calls a day sometimes (depending on what I was doing) and live in Central FL. Though I took calls from all over the nation, we got routed calls from our area first and I worked nights, so talked to the SE about 80% of the time. Got preached to much of the time... learned just to agree with them then tell them that it was something I was not supposed to talk about, it was best, trust me. Lord some of the stories I could tell.

Something I don't do but a lot of people from this area do that I cannot STAND is pluralize everything, Wal-Mart is Wal-Marts or Wals-Mart, you go to K-Marts or the Olive Gardens... It really drives me nuts and I can't figure out why, nothing else about southern colloquialisms do, but that one really does.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 06-28-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #12
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I reckon...
I figger....
I aim to...
I'm studying on..
and in this area we don't say We're fixin' to. We say we're fittin' to. Chrise.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
rkzenrage

Fittin' ta' put on yer' britches?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I grew up in the Smoky Mountains of GA, lived and worked overseas with the British and am currently inhabiting FL. I have studied several foreign languages as well. As such, I have a mish mash of dialects and slang. When I am conversing with someone, I tend to take on their speaking habits and accent. The worst, however, is when I am talking to someone with a rural southern accent. My hillbilly roots just reach up and grab my voicebox, I swear. Ya'll, You'uns, git outa heah, ain't, and all my words seem to grow by 1 or 2 syllables, kin yew b'leve it?

My kids think I say milk funny. Me-yilk is how they say it sounds. Pffftt...

I also play an online MMORPG, Everquest. The phrases used in the game have occasionally spilled over into real life which always gives us pause (are we overdoing the gaming thing!?).

Camp: To sit your character down and type /camp which will log you out of the game after 20 seconds. I've actually told my partner I was camping for the night as I was heading to bed.

Aggro: A creature sees you and attacks. My partner and I have used this phrase to describe getting upset with each other.

Stormie
Old 06-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I hate to hear myself change the -ng sound at the end of a word to just an -n, like "we're goin' runnin'"

I hate to hear others say "try and". You "try to", not "and".

I also pronounce water like "wooder" - it's a Philadelphia thing. Some people even say "wooda".