The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

actually, Wikipedia does a pretty good job:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #17
monster

I use Delia (no nuts -Beest hates). Any apples will do, I use whatever needs using first, and I do peel -easier than washing the wa/xwhatever off and the peel doesn't add anything

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/i...tmas-mincemeat
Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #18
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Flour of England, fruit of Spain, Met together in a shower of rain; Put in a bag tied round with a string, If you'll tell me this riddle, I'll give you a ring. Usage charges are based on your plan. Airtime, overage charges, taxes, long distance, and other charges, restrictions and limitations may apply

On second thought maybe I'll just shoot you a text.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #19
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The third fiver has been found!

I shall continue to survey the cavernous void that is my wallet in the vain hope that the fourth example finds its way there.

Quote:
Elderly Irish woman finds five pound note worth £50,000 and donates it to 'help young people'

A famous engraver etched a tiny picture of Jane Austen on some five pound notes.

Each one is estimated to be worth £50,000, judging by the value of some of his other work.

Across Britain, people checked their fivers to see whether they had one of the four special notes.

The third one has now been found by an elderly Northern Irish woman, and she has kindly donated it to charity.

She sent it back to Graham Short, who engraved the notes, with a note asking him to use it to "help young people".

"£5 note enclosed, I don't need it at my time of life. Please use it to help young people," the kindly woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, wrote.

Mr Short's website reads: "The lady who found the note has surprised us all by sending it to the gallery and asking that it be used to help young people. So Graham and the Gallery will be working closely together to do so.

"Currently contacting outlets connected to Children in Need to try and give this to a good cause so we honour the request of the lucky woman who originally discovered the note.

"Stay tuned for more information as the story develops over the following days!"

The elderly woman didn't want to be famous, but just wanted her fiver to do some good.

“An old lady found it and she said 'I don't want my picture in the papers' and she said 'if it sells for a lot of money it will be better if young children could benefit from it',” Mr Short told the BBC.

Mr Short spent one of each of the four special fivers in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

They have been found in Ireland, Scotland and Wales but the five pound note he spent in England is still yet to be retrieved.

Mr Short's friend and fellow artist, Tony Huggins-Haig, who launched the project, said around 5,000 people have called up falsely claiming to have found it.

The series number of the remaining note is AM32885554.

"It would be wondrous if someone finds it who is deserving, who is blown away by it, and who wants to do something worthwhile with it," said 53-year-old Mr Huggins-Haig.

"It's been an incredible and humbling story thanks to Graham, who goes to incredible lengths to create artwork.

"It really is a Willy Wonka story, and one day all four stories will be told, of which the first three are incredible."

All of Mr Short's work is insured for at least £50,000, but Mr Huggins-Haig believes the notes could actually sell for up to £100,000.
Name:  Lucky fiver..jpg
Views: 536
Size:  51.2 KB

Daily Telegraph

BTW £1.00 = $1.24
Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Once again, please for the people who weren't paying close attention. How is English money denominated?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #21
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The basic unit of UK currency is the Pound. Often known as GBP and expressed by the symbol '£'.

£1 = 100 pence. Coin denominations are 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2.

Notes start off at £5, then £10, £20 and £50. The 'fiver' is the first of the notes to be issued in polymer form with the paper version gradually being withdrawn.
The larger denominations will follow suit. The foregoing applies to notes issued in England by the Bank of England.

Notes issued by Scottish and Northern Irish banks have different designs and £100 notes are also issued.

Last edited by Carruthers; 02-21-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Forgot that we have a £2 coin!
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #22
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
The third fiver has been found!

it was the report of the Irish one being found that drew my attention to the story. But I think the last one -the one spent in Melton Mowbray- is still missing. I bet it's found and someone's hanging on to it to get a better price once the others have sold already and a true market is established.....
Old 02-21-2017, 05:35 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is there a £1 note or coin?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's been only a coin since at least the late nineties, when I was there.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #25
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
similar to Canada, where they're called dollars, not pounds. The one dollar coin features a bird, a loon. Predictably, the coin is known as a Looney. The two dollar coin? Yup. A Twooney. Looneys and tooneys. hahahahahahaaha
Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #26
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yes, there is both a £1 and £2 coin. Notes start at £5.
A new £1 coin is coming into circulation next month.
The old one is getting a bit long in the tooth now and is easy to forge.
The new coin will be twelve sided, is made of two metals and has a number of other security measures which will make it difficult to forge.
So says the man from the Royal Mint.

New £1 'most secure coin in the world'
Old 02-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #27
monster

and yet the USA persists with $1 bills.... can we please enter the 21st century and shift to coins? or will the stripper strike be too much for the economy to handle?
Old 02-24-2017, 05:00 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I usually have 7 or 8 singles in my wallet and have at times had 20 or more. I don't want to carry that many coins in my pocket.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #29
monster

why do you need that many?

There's a $5 bill, there's no reason to have more than 4 singles on a regular basis. Unless you're a stripper on their way home from work. Or a punter on the way out. $20 in singles isn't exactly without volume. Do you roll them and pretend it's something else?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Because I have no social skills I always pay with a bill which will drain you merchants of maximum change.