The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

The New Dr. Who

The Sci-Fi channel has just started playing the newest Dr. Who. I caught the first episode last week and they are playing the 2nd tonight at 9:00 EST (the first one is running now).

Does anyone have any opinions. So far, I'd rate it not as good as the Baker or Pertwee seasons, but better than most of the others.

For anyone needing a refresher.

Quote:
<table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">William Hartnell</td><td nowrap="1" valign="top"> .... </td><td valign="top">The Doctor (1963-1966)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Patrick Troughton</td><td nowrap="1" valign="top"> .... </td><td valign="top">The Doctor (1966-1969)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Jon Pertwee</td><td nowrap="1" valign="top"> .... </td><td valign="top">The Doctor (1970-1974)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Tom Baker</td><td nowrap="1" valign="top"> .... </td><td valign="top">The Doctor (1974-1981)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Peter Davison</td><td nowrap="1" valign="top"> .... </td><td valign="top">The Doctor (1981-1984)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Colin Baker</td><td nowrap="1" valign="top"> .... </td><td valign="top">The Doctor (1984-1986)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Sylvester McCoy</td><td nowrap="1" valign="top"> .... </td><td valign="top">The Doctor (1987-1989)</td></tr></tbody></table>
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

There were two episodes last week.

It's a good season. It starts off slow, but really picks up. To reintroduce the character, they pretty much hang around Earth this season. Hopefully we'll see some more variety in the next one.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
There were two episodes last week.

It's a good season. It starts off slow, but really picks up. To reintroduce the character, they pretty much hang around Earth this season. Hopefully we'll see some more variety in the next one.
Right, sorry. Plastic creatures and the End of the World. For some reason I lumped them together.

Tonights episode had a nice gothic horror element. Very good.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's cool that they use creatures from the other seasons. The plastic creatures and the little green guy on the moving chair were from earlier episodes.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

I guess you're watching the new series with Christopher Ecclestone as The Doctor. Russell T Davies who wrote all the episodes turned in some good stuff. The later epsiodes getting better and better IMO. Also a new secondary hero in Captain Jack.

Chris E bowed out after this series (I thought he played the role a a shade on the heavy side). His replacement David Tennant looks to become an even better Doctor (we've seen one episode with him and he is definitely in the lighter, more eccentric mould of te Tom Baker sort) - the first of the next series with him in place begins this autumn over here. If you get a chance to see the series 'Casanova' in which he played the lead - it'll give you an idea of how he will fit in the Dr Who role. Interstingly, this 'Casanova' was also written by Russell T Davies - I wonder if that connection had anything to do with DT getting the Doctor role....?