The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #61
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Oh, well, I wasn't really addressing your question, but I will make a guess about it and that is that for some reason it makes people who are uncomfortable with uncertainty feel better about things they are uncertain of.

I suspect it has to do with the way their brains are set up. You know, just like we proved in the other trhead that people with short bodies can't reach tings that are high, I think that people who's brains can't handle uncertainty need to have faith.

But I don't know if that's true or not, but I suspect it is. Belief might be strong.

I didn't even understand the OP's question, so you've got me there.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #62
monster
I hear them call the tide

sorry, that wasn't really intended directly at you. Your post just gave me an avenue to finally respond on the topic without continuing the vitriol war.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 AM   #63
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
...I think that people who's brains can't handle uncertainty need to have faith.
Maybe if religion ( or military indoctrination or...) is applied at a certain time of life, you don't develop the capacity to handle uncertainty?

Last edited by Griff; 12-03-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #64
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think it's less about uncertainty, and more about adversity. The worse a person's life has been, the more likely they are to have faith--it's a lot harder to say "it's all meaningless" when it's been full of suffering from the getgo. The meaning justifies the suffering and gives a person a reason to bear it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #65
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The meaning justifies the suffering and gives a person a reason to bear it.
There have been psychological studies done that show when a person sees their suffering or sickness as having meaning as opposed to being completely random, they tend to heal quicker and suffer fewer long term effects. I'll have to ask Mrs. Foot for citations.

That being said, how is that belief related to Faith in particular?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #66
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A recent open forum with an ER doc, the guy said that if you are involved in a serious accident or trauma where your injuries are serious, the first thing you should do is BELIEVE very strongly that your condition is severe and it may take a very long time for help to arrive. He said that if you believe that, the body will take precautions to avoid shock and bleed-out and similar.

I'm still wondering how you inform yourself of this.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #67
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I am not sure about that. It seems what the mind is thinking the body follows.
If you think you are dying, you'll give in a little? A lot.

Seems like shock would work for the benefit of the person, briefly.

About 10 years ago,I was in a car accident. My car was totaled. If I had been going a little faster, I would have took it in the door. It spun me around 180 degrees. I got out of the car. I walked to a phone booth to call my insurance co. I didn't know I was hurt until the next day.

How could I have told my body I was really hurt,( banged up ) when shock had already taken over?

Shock always occurs first. I think. It tells your body you are ok, so you can do something extraordinary?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #68
W.HI.P
Free

Old 12-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #69
skysidhe

.....,. and sometimes not so extraordinary, like finding your hairbrush.

Hey ya WHIP
Old 12-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #70
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Those two were a matched set in that flick. I cant take much of Laura Dern.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #71
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I am not sure about that. ...

... Seems like shock would work for the benefit of the person, briefly. ...

...How could I have told my body I was really hurt,( banged up ) when shock had already taken over?

Shock always occurs first. I think. It tells your body you are ok, so you can do something extraordinary?
There's emotional shock and then there's circulatory shock which is defined as an inadequate perfusion (i.e. blood delivering oxygen) to the tissues which can be caused by things like bleeding. I think the latter type of shock is to what UT was referring.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #72
Number 2 Pencil
Not too hard, not too soft

I held many beliefs to be true in the past, or at least I wanted them to be true. I was Catholic for a good many years and did my best to be one to the hilt. Now I think that that kind of faith is dangerous because it is blind following of a kind that goes against logic. I had faith in a ton of things I see as nonsense now.

Having changed my point of view to agnostic over time, I question absolute truths of all kind, and am wary of the beliefs I hold now in that I wonder if some new evidence may 'flip' my beliefs again in some unexpected way, this having happened once already. One thing I do have faith in, despite evidence to the contrary at times, is there is a fundamental goodness to humankind- or at least the potential for goodness- that supersedes most evil that happens. I would be devastated if I lost that article of faith, and it is possibly a dangerous belief to hold.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #73
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
when i got Nailed by that 8 year old kid at the track back in july my body went completely numb as it happened. a few hours later? i hurt bad. that one took about a month and a half to heal.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #74
skysidhe

That one? You always practice jumping moving objects? j/k