The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-25-2001, 03:14 PM   #1
wst3
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Quote:
Originally posted by wst3
It isn't a perfect system, but then Free Speech is predicated on responsibility and tolerance, two things that sometimes seem in very short supply.
Free speech is not about responsibility and tolerance; it is about freedom. Including freedom to be intolerant. Including freedom to speak in ways the government (or "community", which in this case is a euphemism for the biggest complainers therein) deems irresponsible.
[/b]
I can tolerate that<G>.

I was too brief in my statement(rarely happens!!!!), so let me expand...

There are a number of responsibilites associated with all of our freedoms, freedom of speech included. For the most part, the delineations have been made by the courts already (the famous example being that you are not free to yell fire in a crowded theatre... to do so would be irrespnosible!)

And there is a requirement implied that I need to tolerate your nonsense and you need to tolerate mine.

The government, at any level, should receive the least protection, or the loosest interpretation, by which I mean that absolutely I should be able to criticize the local, state, and federal lawmakers, judges, and executives as well as the laws that they pass, interpret, and enforce.

There are limits, however, and I can't think of a better place to establish them than my community! If you don't like my standards then one of us has to find a different community... which is kinda the key to making democracy work.

For example, and this is admittedly extreme, if I were an athiest, and I moved into a strong Christian community where people greeted eachother on the streets with religious greetings, would I have the right to shut them up? Would they have the right to ask me not to play offensive music really loud from my front porch?

Or look at the opposite situation, if I were a good Christian, and moved into an area where foul language and music about hate and violence were the norm, would I be right in asking my new neighbors to please refrain from using foul language and playing offensive music?

So, if you and I disagree about what ought to be heard on the radio, one of us is going to lose the battle, and the winner will be the one who voices the preferences of the majority.

While it is difficult indeed to put our rights into any specific order, I believe that freedom of speech and freedom of the press are two of the most important ones. The press may be irresponsible at times, and even clearly biased at other times, but I wouldn't trade that for any kind of control. Even when they publsh meaningless but sensational stories just to boost circulation or viewership.
wst3 is offline   Reply With Quote