The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-25-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

Mower saftey switches

Boy. Talk about fun. My Wizard wouldn't crank. To get to switches, and there's 3 of them, I had to remove the gas tank, before that had to remove 2 engine covers, cut the gas line, before I found out I could drop the plate the tank was resting on.
I have parts all over my shed. Anyway I found the bad one, the clutch & brake. So I jumped it.
Then was too hot to finish, (98 today) so tomorrow I start to reassemble. If I remember where it all goes.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Screw the switches, just find the wires going to them. Jump them and you're good to go.
I do the switch on the clothes washer lid too.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

And just remember folks, "Cape does not allow wearer to fly."
Old 07-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nonsense, I saw a pilot wearing one just the other day.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
And just remember folks, "Cape does not allow wearer to fly."
Actually, wearer can fly in a single direction at 32fps squared, reaching speeds of up to 200mph (in a tuck).

Probably *plummet* is a better word choice.
And probably only once.

And I'm gonna have to use that one.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:06 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Another thing, this is the perfect place for a digital camera. Take lots of pictures, everything from 3 angles. You may not need them but it's free insurance.
What if you get stung by a bee, have a reaction, sit in the hospital for a day or so and have to stay out of the heat until the pills run out. Will you remember then?
Digicams, remember for you...when life intrudes.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Wait a minute...you have a *Wizard* mower? I thought those things went out of production before all the idiot-proofing regulations took place.

Weren't those from Western Auto? Or was it Monkey Wards?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Can we turn this into the saftey devices we've disabled thread?

Chain brake on my Husqvarna chain saw.
Blade guard on my cheap table saw.

I'm really gonna get cut one of these days.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

My cheap-ass Yard Machine mower I bought years ago lasted one year before the throttle cable stretched and became unsuable. Instead of purchasing another throttle cable, I took the safety brake handle off and flipped it upsidedown, shortening the cable and making it useful again. In doing this, the cable would snag when I sqeezed the handle and it would keep the brake disengaged allowing the mower to run even if I walked away to catch a few innings of the game. Thereby, turning my Yard Machine into a screaming, whirling machine of potential death and dismemberment. Watch out OSHA!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:05 PM   #10
busterb
NSABFD

Western Auto
Old 07-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Can we turn this into the saftey devices we've disabled thread?

Chain brake on my Husqvarna chain saw.
Blade guard on my cheap table saw.

I'm really gonna get cut one of these days.
Not necessarily. At work I ran a table saw for almost 2 years.
5 hp, direct drive, 20 inch, 100 tooth blade cutting aluminum extrusions. It had a rolling table to the left of the blade, stationary table to the right and it would take your arm off without even changing pitch.
Not a cut off saw but fully adjustable pattern maker's table saw.
Everybody else used all the guards and cranked the blade down as far as they could. Everybody else got hurt. Some times they'd get cut and more often mitering the ends of extrusions produces a very pointy aluminum wedge that would fly at you because the blade is pushing back.
I did two things; get rid of the guards because the blade doesn't move, it just goes around and tries to blend in so you forget and run your hand into it.
Secondly I cranked the blade all the way up so that it was trying to push the stock down into the table instead of back at me and I could see it at all times.
Oh yeah...one other thing....I had the girl at the leather shop (we were dating) make me an apron out of heavy leather to cover me from my waist down to my knees. She selfishly made it for free.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

You can fabricate some pretty useful sliders and guards but most of the factory ones are more dangerous than our invisible but stationary friend.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Bruce that sounds like a great saw. I'm another one in favor of paying attention and developing safe work habits over letting some guard catch me off my guard. (was that as tortured as it seemed?)

I even hate child proof caps. I have a toddler (officially lead free now) and I make sure I don't keep dangerous chemicals where he can get at them, capped or not.

From a natural selection standpoint they only weed out the kids smart enough to figure out how to open the things.

Maybe I'll sing a different tune one day, but I'll keep my eye on him for now.

By the way, I picked up a can of charcoal lighter fluid today. On the side of the can was a very flashy picture of a race car. I could give a shit, but guess who went mental and wanted to pick up, carry around, probably try to squirt in his eye, etc? The Bedwe'er. (No, you can't have the can with the car on it, even though you are allowed to play with every other thing that has a car on it.)

WTF are those people thinking? Hey guess what? IT'S LIGHTER FLUID! WTF does that have to do with race cars? Not a whole lot. Why not have a sesame street character on the friggin can?

/rant
Old 07-27-2005, 11:04 PM   #14
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Long ago in my youth, I worked in a cabinet shop. We had the occasional injury from air powered staple/nail impalement, router bites on the fingers and table saw incidents, but mostly, it was a realistically safe environment, all things considered. Then OSHA came in.

This was in the mid 70's, before such governemental things got really loopy, but even then, they made us put guards on *everything*. The biggest joke of them all was the tablesaw guard, which essentially made the saw useless, and about ten times as dangerous, since the stock you were feeding through had to push the frigging guard out of the way before it could be cut, and then it had to pass by the mounting rail that the pivoting guard bracket was mounted on. That damned thing caused more bindups of the stock going through than I would have even thought possible...bindups invariably resulting in the stock either being propelled backward into the operator at admirable velocity, or getting sideways altogether and exploding (flakeboard sheets were especially good at this) in a shower of high speed fragments.

The only way to stay safe when working with big saws, table routers, etc is to see the enemy and compare its location with that of your hands. Bruce is 100% correct.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Some may recall that I told my own Lawn Mower Horror Story over in the WTF thread ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote