The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 4, 2014: Shrapnel

Brit Ronald Brown stepped on a mine (or booby trap) in 1944 war time France. When he died a couple years ago at age 94, his family had him cremated which produced six ounces(170 grams) of metal shrapnel mixed in with his ashes.

The Telegraph reported...
Quote:
Ronald Brown stepped on a land mine while on a mission in France in August 1944. The blast peppered his left leg with red-hot fragments and he was forced to crawl two miles to safety. But because of medical conditions of the day it was thought safer to leave shrapnel in his body. He survived the war but only ever told his family the basic story and said the accident had left him with a 'bad knee'. Mr Brown told loved ones he still had a 'bullet' in his leg and asked his grandchildren not to sit on his knee because of the pain it caused.
The NY Daily news said....
Quote:
Brown joined the British Army at the age of 21 and stepped on the land mine in August, two months after D-Day. He had to crawl two miles to safety. ~snip~ He spoke little of the war after he came home except to say that of 900 men in his regiment, only 29 survived, his family said. He lived a long and healthy life, dying of a chest infection last week.
Seems I remember when this happened but not if it got posted here. Either way... Ouch!