The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
Squawk
Peoploid

Nuisance Cold Calls

Do you have these in the States? It's a thing here in the UK. The most popular one seems to be: "We've heard you've been in an accident which wasn't your fault..." - basically dodgy companies phishing for insurance claims. Also, "I'm calling from Microsoft, you have a virus on Windows" or something like that. They're scammers trying to rip you off. I used to politely say no to these people, but now I'm more inclined to just hang up.

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's really bad. The latest trend is call centers in New Delhi that are nothing short of organized crime. The only defense is using caller ID and not taking any calls from any numbers you don't recognize. It's a shame that the telephone has come to this.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's what I do, if I don't know who it is I don't answer. Picking up the phone, even if you tell them to fuck off, registers your phone as a legitimate working number in their computer. Starting last January, Verizon is telling my Caller ID more and more calls are spam.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I get the same caller many times a day. It is a 336 area code from the north west corner of NC. A robo call telling me some bs about my credit card. I owe zero on my cards and Citi Bank said it is a scam as the different credit banks will notify me if something is up. They have to as a couple times my numbers have been changed.

I made the mistake of answering the 336 thinking it just might be important. Now it calls several times a day. Looks like I could sue for harassment.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

So far, it hasn't been a problem with my cellular service.

I do get them on my landline; but, my phone system handles it. I have a base unit and many cordless handsets (the system will handle up to a dozen). All of their ringers are turned off as is message screening so I don't hear them being recorded. I have enough handsets to see an incoming call display light up on a handset from anywhere in the place. Repeaters extend the range of the handsets well out the front and back doors.

I answer the caller ID numbers I recognize and the others just go to the answering machine in the base unit (45 min. recording time) to be periodically deleted en masse. The system can block up to 250 numbers; but, I haven't had to block any yet. They seem to get discouraged after awhile. New ones always crop up though.

It's configured as a completely silent system; yet, I can restore the audio of the ringer and the call screening across the system; or, on any individual handset as desired in case I'm expecting a call.

The system will also link (via Bluetooth) to up to four cell phones. I can take and make calls through my cellular service using the handsets so I don't have to have my cell phone on me at home. The system could also operate that way without a landline service. With cellular service it still uses voicemail rather than the answering machine which can be accessed through the handsets too.

Peace and quiet, it works for me. YMMV.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
Squawk
Peoploid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
So far, it hasn't been a problem with my cellular service.

I do get them on my landline; but, my phone system handles it. I have a base unit and many cordless handsets (the system will handle up to a dozen). All of their ringers are turned off as is message screening so I don't hear them being recorded. I have enough handsets to see an incoming call display light up on a handset from anywhere in the place. Repeaters extend the range of the handsets well out the front and back doors.

I answer the caller ID numbers I recognize and the others just go to the answering machine in the base unit (45 min. recording time) to be periodically deleted en masse. The system can block up to 250 numbers; but, I haven't had to block any yet. They seem to get discouraged after awhile. New ones always crop up though.

It's configured as a completely silent system; yet, I can restore the audio of the ringer and the call screening across the system; or, on any individual handset as desired in case I'm expecting a call.

The system will also link (via Bluetooth) to up to four cell phones. I can take and make calls through my cellular service using the handsets so I don't have to have my cell phone on me at home. The system could also operate that way without a landline service. With cellular service it still uses voicemail rather than the answering machine which can be accessed through the handsets too.

Peace and quiet, it works for me. YMMV.
Sounds like you've got more tech than NASA

I have caller ID so I can see internationals. Yes quite a few have come from India. I never had a problem with my mobile until I uploaded my c.v. with the number on it to some job agencies a year or so ago. Someone's been up to no good with my personal data.

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The new problem is that it's possible to spoof or change Caller ID. So the number you see may or may not be the number calling you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I keep an old fashion landline. It's the only number I give out to any kind of contact that isn't family and friends. My phone system deals with the spam. It's my countermeasure and so far they haven't come up with a new measure to defeat getting routed to my answering machine. I don't have problems with mobile spam that way.

I can call my landline number from my personal mobile and enter a code to play back legit messages and delete spam. It's an extra step; but, my background tells me there's currently no reliable consumer tech substitute that equals basic compartmentalization of information.

I generally don't use the two VOIP options I have. They're nice contingencies though.

The other reason I maintain a landline is I also maintain a dial-up service in case my high speed internet goes down.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #9
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

The caller id now reads 608 area code and a local exchange, and I get Rachael from card services. Now I push one to speak with a agent, and fuck with them. I usually end the call by screaming "I Want to Shit in Your Mouth". We are on every "Do Not Call" list there is, and we still get calls.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I used to get daily calls to my cell before I started blocking them. I know that they're scams because they're all 412 area code. I don't know that many people there. The ones I do, are stored in the phone itself. I assume it's because my cell is still 412. They don't know I don't live there anymore. Makes it easier to know which are calls worth answering or not
Old 10-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If my cell doesn't show a name, the call goes unanswered.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:52 AM   #12
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Just after 0800, and half way through my second mug of tea, the phone rang.
Calls at that time tend to be from a neighbour in need of some sort of help.
Today, however, the caller was supposedly from my ISP.
I am slow to anger, but I confess that a certain immoderacy of language ensued.
Does this make me a bad person?
Old 03-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #13
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

No.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think more highly of you for it.

For what that's worth...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, you're a bad person, but not bad enough. You must be much badder with those motherfuckers.